Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

I ruined my Lipo

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 03:25 AM
loves nitro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I ruined my Lipo

Hi All,
Two days ago I was flying my Parkzone T-28 Trojan, Im still a new pilot, so everytime I have a good flight Im pretty excited. Well two days ago, everything at the field went picture perfect for me, five good flights, and five GREAT landings, I was on top of the world, to nail five perfect landings in a row, so much so that I forgot to unplug the battery from my plane. When I pulled the Trojan out for a pre-flight check, and to charge the battery, I noticed that I had forgot to un-plug it., well the battery felt mushy, and when I tried to charge it, my charger said low voltage and would not charge it. I've herd that sometimes they can be brought back, but since the battery is the life-blood of the plane Im thinking it's probebly better to just take the battery to Radio Shack for recycling, even if they can be brought back, how reliable are they?
Paul []
Old 07-14-2013, 03:28 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: I ruined my Lipo

It is a waste of time to mess with one that is already "sqishy" It is probably already discharged to a non-dangerous point and can be tossed and replaced.

Congrats on your flights and good landings.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:04 AM
Goldenduff

Some advocate soaking in a bucket of salt water for a day. I always use a receiver battery seperate to the main power battery. 

Congrats on your flights
Old 07-14-2013, 04:18 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

A separate rx battery wouldn't have made any difference. The ESC draws power as long as it's connected to the battery. Anything that puts a draw on the Lipo will kill it (and this one IS dead) over time. I killed one once by leaving my Whatt meter plugged in.
Walt
Old 07-14-2013, 04:21 AM
batdog
My Feedback: (1)

I have had good luck with Hobby King batteries and they are very inexpensive although some on this site disagree. Batdogp
Old 07-14-2013, 05:23 AM
loves nitro

Thanks much for the info, the battery will be thrown away, and I learned a good lesson that I won't forget .
Paul
Old 07-14-2013, 05:54 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've brought back several LiPo's from the dead and most have kept working albeit not as strong as when they were new. You connect your charger to the power leads only and set it to NiCd charge at low amperage. You force voltage into the pack at low amps and MONITOR it closely for 5-10 minutes then disconnect . Then reconnect to the charger normally and charge in LiPo mode. Eventually the pack will get enough voltage forced in to raise the cell voltages to a point where the charger will take over in LiPo mode and complete the process.
Note: If the pack is damaged or swollen or "squishy" don't try it !
Old 07-14-2013, 06:34 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

I've heard of people using Brian's method, but there's one other tool needed - a fire extinguisher with the safety pin pulled (-:
Walt
Old 07-14-2013, 06:57 AM
batdog
My Feedback: (1)

Be careful when disposing of the battery as it can cause a fire in the trash can if the conditions are right. Batdogp