Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Cox RR-1 needle valve setting?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox RR-1 needle valve setting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 03:30 AM
jp1961

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox RR-1 needle valve setting?

How many turns should a Cox RR-1's needle valve be backed out to run? I can get the engine to run for a second with prime, but not run.

Also, was there a tiny O-ring on the fuel tank trumpet right where it goes into the backplate?,,,there seems to be a small channel in this trumpet.
Thanks
Old 07-14-2013, 04:29 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cox RR-1 needle valve setting?

I don't know, and suspect it varies from engine to engine. I'd suggest opening it a full turn, giving it a try. Open it some more until it works.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:35 AM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jp1961

Also, was there a tiny O-ring on the fuel tank trumpet right where it goes into the backplate?,,,there seems to be a small channel in this trumpet.
Thanks

Yes there should be a small black O-ring style gasket there-and without it you will get exactly the symptoms you describe-running on prime but won't continue running. [because the O-ring is there to seal the joint-without it you will have no- or minimal suction!] I would expect the correct needle setting to be around the 4-5 turns open for starting (it's a very fine thread remember) and running about 3-3 1/2 turns open

You can get the O-rings from Cox Int'l-they're the same as those used in the tanked 049 reed valved models (you may have to buy a complete overhaul kit-I'm not sure if they sell them individually......packets of 10?) Some people make their own by slicing thin pieces off silicone fuel tubing-but this is a fairly hit and miss way of doing it-and a degree of precision is required. Also it would pay to check the needle tip closely-preferably against another one known to be 'good'-it is possible to break the extreme tip off these needles if they are overtightened when fully home-and that does nothing for the function! [look at it under a decent magnifying glass]

Good luck!

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 07-14-2013, 12:47 PM
jp1961

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks ChrisM,,,appreciate it!!

Jeff
Old 07-14-2013, 12:53 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ffkiwi

You can get the O-rings from Cox Int'l-they're the same as those used in the tanked 049 reed valved models (you may have to buy a complete overhaul kit-I'm not sure if they sell them individually......packets of 10?)
ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
[link=http://www.exmodelengines.com/cox-.049-venturi-gasket-3.html]Ex Model Engines[/link]

[link=http://coxengines.ca/cox-.049-venturi-gasket-3.html]COX International[/link]

Both locations also have them in bulk packs of 10.