Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

How many kits do you have right now?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

How many kits do you have right now?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 11:24 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: How many kits do you have right now?

Back "in the day" it could be used to fly in a competitive "Fun Fly" or an all around 'fun' airplane.....that was before the extreme fun fly planes (Hershey Bar winged - single wheel, etc) came in.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:00 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

God I'm old. Not only did I know what it was but I really one and I'm absolutely positive it wasn't that long ago. Perhaps just a little wishful thinking on my part. Enjoy it Jerry!
John
Old 03-21-2013, 06:55 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember when a Contender was considered an excellent Fun Fly airplane! The best flyers would do Limbo inverted and still win!
Old 03-21-2013, 06:52 PM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi ProfLooney
love the name...
in your 400 sets of plans would you have the plans for the ultrasport 60 showing rib and former patterns.
have an arf, blue/white, but would like to build one from good old balsa and plywood?

I have high hopes from you

thanks and happy flying

pt19 flyer
Old 03-21-2013, 07:16 PM
tailskid

ORIGINAL: Bax

I remember when a Contender was considered an excellent Fun Fly airplane! The best flyers would do Limbo inverted and still win!
Yes Bax, in many ways, those were the 'Good Old Days'.....like when everyone built their planes and it was an exciting experience to make that first flight! Oh, I'm still working (really it is sitting) on the Piper Warrior and one of these days I'm going to finish it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90601.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1865005  
Old 03-22-2013, 08:19 AM
LawnDartMike

It is scary seeing how many kits some of you have! I started flying foamies a year ago and after building my first kit (Uproar) I have the addiction. I just started on the second kit which is a Contender. I'm going to need a bigger house if my addiction goes out of control as some of you!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:50 AM
bigdad1975

Hi i'm Jake and I have a kit hoarding problem. The wife says that I have a problem I disagree. I am at about 53-55 kits? 9 flying planes and 6 to 7 in various build states. Current project is helping my son build an electric 4star40.

There is no 12 steps for me
Old 03-27-2013, 09:50 AM
pdtroil
My Feedback: (1)

Hi, My name is Paul and its been almost 3 months since a have bought a new kit.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:27 AM
bigdad1975

ORIGINAL: pdtroil

Hi, My name is Paul and its been almost 3 months since a have bought a new kit.

shakes head I wish I have 6 plus and pnp on the way. Just have to be in the garage to beat the ups man to the door.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:09 PM
roncoleman
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Junkies!! [X(] All of you. Maybe there's a need for the start of a Kit Collector Brotherhood.
Someone would need to come up with a minimum number of kits (and/or started kits) to join.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:22 PM
bigdad1975

One of my fellow junkies needs to come off a set of Don Smith F7F Tigercat plans
Old 03-28-2013, 06:58 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Have you ever wondered if they let you build your incomplete and unstarted RC airplanes in heaven?
Old 03-28-2013, 07:30 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: FlyerInOKC

Have you ever wondered if they let you build your incomplete and unstarted RC airplanes in heaven?
The answer to that question is obvious.

Ifpersons have a place where they use balsa and ply, an Xacto knife, glue and whatever goes in the construction of a model airplane then they are in heaven.

As simple as that.

Zor

Old 07-11-2013, 03:03 PM
joedoan
My Feedback: (169)

It is harder to find a good kit .In the last couple months there weren't many good kits that can be found on RC Universe,RC Groups and Ebay. Any of you kits hoarder have an Ikon N'wst Lockeed Vega that you want to sale please let me know.
Thank you.
Joe.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:11 PM
cwhitacre21
My Feedback: (4)

Flyer in OKC,

I hope so! My list of projects is growing! I may need some Devine intervention to complete my projects!!
Old 07-12-2013, 03:02 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: joedoan

It is harder to find a good kit .In the last couple months there weren't many good kits that can be found on RC Universe,RC Groups and Ebay. Any of you kits hoarder have an Ikon N'wst Lockeed Vega that you want to sale please let me know.
Thank you.
Joe.

This is just to tease you. I have the Vega, kit but it's not for sale.

The kit is under my bed, next to four others. (Hostetler Luscombe and Fairchild 24, Holman 190D, Messer Piper Tomahawk, VK Corbin Super Ace) All will get built.......Someday.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:44 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

ORIGINAL: cwhitacre21

Flyer in OKC,

I hope so! My list of projects is growing! I may need some Devine intervention to complete my projects!!
You and me both brother!
Old 07-13-2013, 11:05 AM
Cliffc

I agree with Joedoan it's pretty slim pickings just now. I am watching Tom Crump's Ryan Brougham build elsewhere. Tom if you're going to tease, I'd really like to see you do the Vega Build one of these days. Does anybody have a complete list of the Ikon N'West kits?
I haven't updated my stuff in a while and no I've not been cured. I know that really compulsive kit hoarders don't like to even break the tape on the box but I like to "play"with the kits at least look at the plans and see if anything obvious is missing as most of my kits have been through a couple of hands. Here's the current state of the union with some comments/observations about what I've found in the box or what support I've gotten from folks in the industry as I've had to recover some of these orphans, missing plans, missing instructions missing cowls even missing boxes of stuff.

Top Flight – very complete instructions, a little diecrunched great classic subjects

1.P-51 Mustang Gold Edition

2.P-40 Warhawk Gold Edition, with retracts andfiberglass cowl, cockpit kit

3.F4U Corsair Red Box, Dummy radial and cockpitkit

4.Stinson Reliant

5.P-39 Air Cobra – red box this is a .40-.60 sizedplane as opposed to the .60-.90 planes (Mustang, Warhawk and Corsair) and I have an RCV-60SP to try and preserve thenose of the plane – likely replace some of the nose material with a paintedscreen material to get enough air flow

Ikon N’West - I likethese kits hand cut parts – not everybody does

1.D-145 Monocoupe – Lindberg’s plane

2.Sperry Messenger, missing cowl and landing gearwire - latest in - my wife is stilltalking to me but just had to put vinyl siding on stepson’s back porch eves –no wonder I don’t get any model building done – clean the fish tank today.

Carl Goldberg

1.Anniversary Ed.Piper J-3 – in work - still

2.Electra, Bought this for my dad before discovering that his cataracts were worse than he’d admitted. Had to buy a wing kit to replace some of thework he’d done. My dad built an oldtimer glider for me 60 years or so ago when I was 6 or 7. Good to remember these things

Golden Age Models

1.Ryan STA, Short kit, 1.2 four stroke sized – nice kit but no less complicated than the SIG version. Nice fiberglass work, with templates tolaminate the wing tips and tail feathers

SIG – Built Kadet Mk II and Senior so I have a special affinityfor the SIG kits

1.Liberty Sport

2.¼ Scale Piper J-3, working on a laser cut dummyengine for this. FromTop Notch Products – good name, fits – they've got some nice kits I’ll have totry one.

3.Cessna 172, 54” wing span, came to SIG fromBerkeley. Neat old kit even the decalsare decent, Don McGovern design –Berkeley Plans – got some great on line helpto identify the plans. Unusual construction and pretty crisp cutting

4.Fairchild PT-19 complicated plane for its sizevery much in the same vane as the Ryan STA kit

Bud Nosen

1.Mr. Mulligan, pre A&A Industries, with FiberglassSpecialties long cowl and wheel pants – got the DLE-55 for this on the shelf - onthe short list to build. Kit diestamping is pretty rough even for the Nosen origin.

2.¼ Champion Citibria, Laser cut short kit fromBrian over at [email protected]. Nicely cut parts with a set of plans carefullypackaged at a very good price. Brian isa full time farmer and part time kit cutter wouldn’t count of getting a kituntil after harvest. Good guy with otherpackages available.

Proctor – lovely scale details among the best WW I kits –wonderful support – just reading the plans and instruction book is an education

1.Neiuport 11

2.VK Sopwith Camel

3.VK Sopwith 1 ½ Strutter

4.VK Neiuport 17

5.VK Fokker DR-1

Balsa USA

1.1/3<sup>rd</sup> Scale Sopwith Pup – got this byaccident getting only the long box without plans. Thought to be the VK Fokker DR-1. Discovered the wing ribs were 19.25” longcompared to the 6” ribs for the DR-1 took a long time to identify. Finally identified it and got the missingcowl box and plans from BUSA – nice folks – very helpful. Neat kit huge aluminum cowl several buildson-line.

Dynaflte

1.Super Decathlon – nice kit big box, lots of woodprobably build it before the Mulligan to work on my chops and get some sticktime – got a couple of large engines looking for a home. Kit cutting is good.

Fun Aero – anybody know what happened to these guys got aURL?

1.Albatros DIII 60” – nice laser cut sport scaleplane – pretty good kit – looks great in the bones may never get covered.

Coverrite – fun sport scale planes give you a smile

1.Art Chester Jeep – in work – neat gull wing

2.Black Baron – basic trainer gussied up for thedance – puts a smile on me.

Pica

1.Cessna 182

2.Spitfire .40-.60, 65” WS

3.Bucker Jungmeister 133, 60” WS

4.Focke Wulf 190A. 0.30 sized – bought it bymistake.

Unionville

1.Dehavilland Beaver – lots of wood in the boxanyone know of a cowl for this plane?The plastic cowl in the box seems to have too much flair to it. Solid kit - forest of wood.

Flair

1.Puppeteer – bought this to get an idea about theFlair kits this is the original not the Mk II pretty nice kit.

Dave Platt

1.T-28B Trojan 0.60, 65” WS

Byron Original

1.Beechcraft BT-24, not the V-tailed Bonanza,standard rudder and elevator – not comfortable with the foam wings and abscovering for the tail and ailerons. Nicefuselage needs some optional parts transparent windows and retracts – not optimistic.

<o></o>

Aristo Craft – Japanese kits very cleanly cut a bit heavyfor their rated engines but room for bigger engines – unusual subjects – good scaleoutline probably need to add ailerons these are basically 3 channel kits with alot of dihedral.

1.Grumman F3F – “Flying Barrel”

2.Stagger Wing Beech

Royal – lots of balsa in these boxes – craftsman’s kits lotof sanding – still very cool kits of classic subjects

1.Boeing P-6E, 63” WS

2.Douglas C-47

Ohio RC

1.Extra 300 for 1.2 four stroke. Lots of wood, nice fiberglass cowl and bigcanopy seems pretty straight forward kit

J-5 Enterprises

1.Stinson Voyager, ¼ scale missing plans all hardwood with a reputation for building heavy. My make a good fire some night if I decide tobuild from Hostetler plans

Airsail (NZ)

1.Auster AOP9 – 0.40-.60, 74.8” WS sized kit, shouldhave bid harder on the ¼ scale version – neat kit unusual subject – not yourdad’s L-4 nice kit from New Z eland

Wendell Hostetler – plans – nice folks

1.Stinson Voyager, 26% - May use the J-5 kit as anorgan donor.

2.Dehavilland Beaver, 22%

Joy Manufacturing

1.Curtiss Jenny box is mildewed wood is finepretty detailed kit not quite the Proctor but neat old kit none-the-less

Bob Holman – very helpful

1.Minimoa ¼scale glider, short kit and plans

Aerodrome RC

1.Sopwith Pup Short kit 40” WS nice laser cutplane

AAMCO

1.Aeromaster TOO 48” WS

MidWest

1.Cap 21, 0.40

If yoIf you've gotten this far thank you for your interest and attention. Regards, Cliffc

Old 07-13-2013, 11:19 AM
tailskid

And I thought I had a lot! WOW....Nice Collection there Cliffc
Old 07-13-2013, 11:21 AM
stuntflyr

About a'hundred and a half. I see some guys know exactly how many and what they are, I'm not that organized!
Chris...
Old 07-13-2013, 12:10 PM
joedoan
My Feedback: (169)

Hi Cliffc, I think Great Hobbies might have the fiberglass cowl for your Beaver. They carry Unionville kits. Web site - greathobbies.com.
Joe.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:52 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been a long time since I built a kit or from scratch...my last kit built was in 1992, the CG Ultimate, and I am still flying it proudly. So I have just three kits NIB in my garage now...the AAMCO MiniMaster, Airtronics Jetfire 20, and the Airtronics Warlock 40. I guess I have another but it is partially built; it's the Direct Connection Tigershark. I've got four ARFs NIB waiting to be assembled. I am just at a point of having more fun flying than building, since 30 years ago, lol. Jon
Old 07-14-2013, 12:56 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: bigtim

I got to jump into this one its just too much fun.
Royal
FW190A8
Me109E-SOLD
Zero 40 size
FW190A8-build in progress

Top Flight
P-51 B
P-51 D with B conversion/malcom hood canopy
P-40 Warhawk-kit is for sale
FW190D9 x2-now x3
AT6 texan/w zero conversion canopy
Spitfire-completed
P-47-completed

Heritage
Hellcat-now x2

skyshark
Me109G full kit
Me109G short kitSOLD

sig
somthing extra

D&L designs
Gizmo-kit in box
Gizmo-completed rtf

great planes
Mustang-40- (currently for sale on ebay)

and they dont quite qualify as kits but I will toss them in anyway since they needed assembly, my ARF's
Hangar-9
P-51D Marie-flight ready
P-40-flight ready
F4U Corsair-still in the box
ESM FW190
Hobbico
Nextar-float plane conversion

more added to the collection

Midwest Me 109
Marks models Wanderer glider-1 built, 1 in the box
Sig Skybolt x2
Sterling Tri Pacer
Old 07-14-2013, 03:54 AM
flyalot
My Feedback: (63)

Thanks to all of you for confirming that I'm normal!
Last winter I BUILT a 30 year old Procter Anitc monoplane kit. BEAUTIFUL!
Old 07-14-2013, 08:57 AM
ma_mulcahy

Flyalot, nobody said you were "normal". All that has happened is that a few souls have stepped forward to say we all suffer from the same "illness".

BTW, I have around 40, which I won't bother to list. My wife tells me that as long as I keep them neatly organized, she won't call the crew from Hoarders to send the shrink over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.