Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

1/10 soviet steel

Old 01-29-2012, 10:34 AM
lposter

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts
Default 1/10 soviet steel

Im not a big fan of build threads that end in limbo but this one hopefully features a tank that I have a fair chance of finsihing (at least to a static state).

This is going to be a representation based on a KV-2 - note I didnt say "model" as accuracy is not on the list of priorities. Im building this as I am well tired of watching RC tanks float over cigarette butts and twigs instead of crushing them.

So its a 1:10 soviet KV-2 built entirely of 1.5 mm and 2 mm steel sheet and everything else will be steel as well. tracks will be side by side duplex 1/2 inch pitch duplex machine chains with somekind of cross members to hold them together.

Swing arms are made out of steel, 1 cm thick, and are finsihed. Structure is being held together with 15 mm 3 mm thick steel right angle. All fixings are currently temporary and will be replaced with flush screws. Axles are 1 cm diameter steel bar. Wheels are finsihed in the rough state. Decent heavy weight bearing are holding the idelr axles and drive wheels.

I reckon total weight of the chassis will be 40 kg with another 20 maybe in drives and batteries. Im looking at 12 or 18 v drill/screwdriver motors with motorbike batteries. Havent thought about sound or control systems. I can get help when it comes to it I suppose. I reckon I can get (based on my own calculations) about 30 minutes on the flat for the capacity of battery I can get into it. If it goes uphill thats going to drop drastically. The turret should rotate but that would be it as far as fancy stuff goes. Suspension will be some kind of simple spring system - no torsion bars.

Turret is cut out and ready for assembly.

I have no machine tools so this has been built so far with steel sheets from a car shop and a hand nibbler and hammer. Everything shaped with hand files. All holes drilled with one of those hand drill bench press things that cost 20 euros. Got the drive wheels and idlers from a wreckers and the chains I got off ebay. The tracks alone are probably going to weight about 15 kg. Plans came from a 1/35 model

Im not guaranteeing updates but its actually whacking along at a nicepace. Even working outdoors in -6 weather with steel.

p

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40070.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1720711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67686.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1720712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96136.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1720713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt58958.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1720714  
Old 01-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: 1/10 soviet steel

i'm really wanting to see this Tank when it's done looks fantastic so far
keep the pics coming and thanks for sharing it with us
Old 01-29-2012, 11:50 AM
lposter

Heres a shot of all the road wheels in very rough state. These are steel exhaust pipes of the right diameter for cheap from a motor parts shop. I cut them into disks of the right width using a sawand files and a simple grinding stone. Then I got a teak chopping boards from IKEA of the right thickness, and using a hole saw cut out disks of the same diameter. I heated the steel rings with a torch until they slid over the wooden disks and then cooled them to shrink fit (witha little scorching). I then skimmed over each side with liquid metal compound to get a metal effect. A little sanding and drilling and mounting of steel washers around the central holes forstrength and effect and they should start to look ok. Lot of work there however.

The swing arms are fabrictaed using brute force, steel round rod and square rod and silver solder and some murderous efforts at boring thestraight holes for the grub screws (to lock the axle flats) with a bloody hand drill.

They are sturdy however and with a few bolts in it at the right places they should look reasonable. The axles will be silver steel and the axles for the road wheels themselves are 6 mm diameter 10 cm long coach bolts which will need some grinding and filing but should be ok.

The worst parts will be the rounded bits on the gun mantlet but I reckon a hockey puck or something from the lower shelves of Clas Ohlson may be the basis for that. Improvisation must be the name of the game here as 1/10 parts are thin on the ground

p

Name:	Zx72419.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1720734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27426.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	1720735  
Old 01-29-2012, 12:48 PM
DirtyBird69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the idea!....I agree every little detail won't be missed...plus if you give it a real good paintjob that will  help add detail for a lot less expense....can't wait to see this completed...makes me wish HL made a KV-2.. 
Old 04-11-2012, 05:50 AM
lposter

Bit of an update after the easter break. Worked hard on the suspension system for the KV.

Not easy...drilling 1 mm holes straight enough for threading in 6 mm silver steel with a battery powered screwdriver would test anyone...

Took ages to source the springs. Not an easy job as buying springs is a hassle given how they are described. So Igot a bunch of ATV exhaust springs which do the job nicely.

Then Ihad to learn how to braze steel to make the arms.........then had to wait until my learning burns healed before I could continue.

The suspension is adjustable in the spring can fasten at any position along the arms or the eye bolt can be lengthened to soften it out.

AS it is its fairly robust but thats what I was after.

1/10 scale, despite the lack of aftermerket bits, is a joy as its much easier to work with. Although saying that....the weight is ballooning.

p

Name:	Bm54527.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	1749183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nz19810.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	1749184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge65044.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	1749185  
Old 04-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Airbrushler

looking good nice work
Old 04-11-2012, 11:01 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Very interesting project, your methods of making components is very ingenious.

Excellent choice of scale I might add.

Jerry
Old 04-11-2012, 11:49 PM
lposter

Ithink the design of components in this case is due to ignorance and lack of skills as opposed to ingenuity!

Then again the level of engineering skill is probably reflective of the brutal engineering designs of the Soviets at the time!

Thinking about it....1/10 is probably the best scale there is in terms of ease of handling, internal space in the tank, weight/volume ratios etc etc. Inever saw 1/10 before and always balked at the sheer size of 1/6 or 1/8 (if Icannot get it into the boot of an average European car...then Idont see th epoint).

But 1/10 is absolutely super. detail bits are achievable without using a magnifiying glass, there is room to work, +/- 0.5 mm doesnt make a hell of a difference....

But steel is a problem. Im cut to ribbons, making a part is an investement in time and labour when compared to just cutting something out of styrene, drilling accurate straight holes without a bench press would drive you crazy, not having the use of glue is a problem.

Then again, brazing is brilliant, being able to bash things into shape with a hammer is a bonus and the strength of nuts and bolts are just unbeatable as fixings.

I just wish there were more aftermarket parts for 1/10 scale.

p

Old 04-12-2012, 03:00 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I like looking through Tanques website at all the 1/10 scale METAL tanks that are scratch built. I'd like to have at least one large scale metal tank to have to run through the dirt and mud where the smaller plastic 1/16 tanks couldn't.

Nice work guys!

~ Jeff

Old 04-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree Jeff. One 1:10 scale tank would be very cool to have. 1:8 even start getting heavy depending on which model you build but 1:10 is a nice scale to work with plus it still gives a good large scale appearance.
Oh and I really love the suspension method the bulder is using. Probaly the neatest and cleanest set up i have seen yet.
Definately a great way to go for custom projects.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Tanque

You hit the one shortcoming of 1:10 scale; few aftermarket parts. With Wecohe reorganizing they left a considerable
dent in the 1:10 scale German armor department... We've lost a number of suppliers in the last 10 years and while
new ones have popped up they're quite expensive. Tracks are the greatest obstacle to beginning a new project.

There are a few suppliers of 1/10 scale parts. Not all are inexpensive but if one purchases parts wisely
it isn't too bad.

There's a fellow in the Ukraine, you probably know him, Sergey Federov who has made many outstanding 1:10
models in the range, Russian, you are interested in. He may be helpful for parts you might not wish to make yourself. ( See this thread- http://www.rcpanzer.de/apboard/thread.php?id=20070 )
If you need his contact information PM me and I'll send it. He is not unreasonable price wise. He was the fellow behind my KV-1 and 2 and also was instrumental in my SU-152.

I certainly appreciate the desire, whatever the reason, to want to make one's own parts however the
option to but some things I find beneficial.

As to 1:10 scale, I've found it to be optimal as well. Not so large as to be cumbersome, not so small as to float over the terrain. I am active in 1/16 scale as well but too light doesn't perform well IMHO. Again IMHO many 1:6
models are run so light that they 'float' or bounce over the terrain; I've seen first hand 1:6 Tiger I models weighing 100- 120 pounds running and to me they don't appear right. A properly weighted 1:6 scale model is too much for me at what 200- 250kg?
Heaven forbid you get stuck or suffer a mechanical failure too far from your start point; it's bad enough with one of my models weighing 75 -90 pounds. I've never subscribed to the 'bigger is better' theory; I started in 1:10 a long time ago and have had plenty of opportunities to ' move up ' but no thanks. I won't tell you how many ( and many former ) 1:6 scale fanciers have had the
absolute nerve to ask "why do you waste your time on 1:10 scale" - obviously they wouldn't understand the answer had I given one. I never will deride someone's choice of scales, to each their own, but I sure will tell them where to go if they deride mine!

So glad to see other folks who can appreciate what I've always felt is a largely ( at least in the US) unappreciated scale.

I'll keep an eye on your work.

Jerry
Old 04-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the 1:10 th scale is an ideal size. Big enough to add some realism but not so big as to brake your bank or your back. 1:16 is fun but i always wanted something a little bigger. 1:8 is even a little larger than I would want to go.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:12 AM
lposter

I didnt intend updating this thread for a while but I posted a picture on another less appropriate thread and will update this one.

Here are some pictures.

The chassis is pretty much done...suspension is in, main body work done (even if its not in the pics here as bolting everything together is annoying for pictures.).

Ihad to rethink the road wheels...... the rims are a steel exhaust pipe of the right diameter +/- 2mm. Ithen used a hole saw to cut out steel disks from a 3 mm sheet. No fun that Ican tell you.

Then, using a template from plastic, Ibored out the holes and then brazed the inserts into the rims. Then Igot washers of the right size, bored out the correct holes and they will be mounted as hubcaps. A nice carraige bolt will then be the axle.

The swing arms are the same as shown earlier with a 2 cm brass cap mounted on the top bit. They are tapped and threaded with 4 mm grub screws to hold axles and the bits on th ehull.

The retun trollers were made by cutting steel pipe of the right diameter and brazing that onto steel squares. The excess was then filed off and they were assembled much as the road wheels were.

The turret framwork is 3 mm steel angle and 3 mm steel flats of 1 cm width. It looks shabby but the angles and measurements are dead on. Steel panels will then be bolted on to form th eturret. Th etop panel will be removable.

The bubbly engine cover thingunder the hull is actually a galvanised steel gate post end (a sphere). I cut off the bit Ineeded and then brazed that into a steel sheet with a hole of the right diameter cut out of it.

The grills over the engine are just thin strips of steel brazed into what Iwanted. The exhaust pipes are also done but not assembled. Soon I will work on the tracks.

The mudguards are cut out and ready for aseembly.

p

Name:	Yv66008.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	1862756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97735.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	1862757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21538.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	1862758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65160.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	1862759  
Old 03-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Airbrushler

yes very nice i knew i posted and seen some of it before everytime i try a search on here it never has anything to do with what i was asking about the search on here sucks but trying to find it in the amount of postings that i have is the same trying to find a needle in a hay stack, thanks for finding and reposting this it's going to be a great looking tank for sure

Greg
Old 03-16-2013, 02:25 PM
Ronan87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice... you better make it r/c!!!
Old 07-13-2013, 10:46 AM
lposter

THought Id update this as my conscience was kicked by another thread.progress is murderous but ongoing.Im essentially finished all the road wheel and have mounted them on axles. Each wheel has a brass bushing within which the axles spin. Axles are coach bolts with the shoulders ground off - by hand! That was a few nights in front of the TV! I attached a picture witth them just kind of hung on the arms. Ive mounted on side of teh arms and will do the other side in a day or two. Not easy....I finished off the back....looks rough but its all smooth and will be OK once painted. Took me a week trying to bend the stupid curved bit but I got it done in the end.Also started on th egun...first thing was the truchion or gunchion or 3whatever ots called. This was an issue as I have no lather. I bought a disk of aluminium of the right thickness from the ebay and bored a hole in th emiddle. I stick a bolt in this and chucked it in a drill then went at it with a file and sandppaer until the curve was where I wanted it to be. Then I had to cut off the two sections which are not quite halves.This was no fun as the cuts must be strainght but after a day or two and bleeding hands I got it done using the contraption shown.I also got around to test fitting one of my motors...... nicely done and simplicity itslef! 36:! gear ratio and max of 550 rpm giving me a linear speed of somewhere around a scale 40 km/hr or so.I also got my first chance to do some aluminium soldering using the stuff you see on youtube. I needed it to make my tow hitches. I think it went well.SOme of the detailing is going to have to be aluminium because the weight is gone crazy and I have noticed I do not have as much battery room as I thought I would have.So a fair bit of weight will have to be saved....p

Name:	Yv66084.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	1900101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63710.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	1900102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28855.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	1900103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27345.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	1900104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20872.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	1900105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19994.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	1900106  
Old 07-14-2013, 12:09 AM
Tanque

Hmmm I'm not seeing the photos for some reason.

Jerry
Old 07-14-2013, 04:31 AM
lposter

I can see them from my side so Im not so sure what to do.......p
Old 07-14-2013, 08:59 AM
Tanque

ORIGINAL: lposter

I can see them from my side so Im not so sure what to do.......p

Not sure either but I tried 3 browsers on two different machines, one was a fresh start but sadly no cigar.

Jerry
Old 07-14-2013, 09:10 AM
ksoc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see the thumbnails in the post, but cannot enlarge them (iMac/OS X/ Safari)

(The last picture will come up, but none of the others)
Old 07-14-2013, 09:39 AM
lposter

I try again.I resized them to see what happens. pPS. scratch that....IKeep getting a server error when I try to upload them....so its something on the sites side I imagine.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:28 PM
bowlman

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

I have no problem seeing them or enlarging them Saturday this site was very slow to send pics or post .

Jimmy
Old 07-14-2013, 03:17 PM
ksoc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All photos now viewable.

Nice job on the tank!
Old 07-14-2013, 04:13 PM
Tanque

Outstanding lposter! Really looking good!

Isn't 1/10 scale a great one? Just big enough to allow as much detail as you want yet entirely lift_able yet makes a good account
of itself in the field.

Seeing some of the other favorable comments on the scale it has been a ongoing curiosity that 1/10 has never been more popular
here in the states. Especially since the roller chain basis for tracks would be really appropriate for many US tanks all the way back to
WWII vintage machines.

If memory serves SAE Nr 35 roller chain is just about perfect for 1/10 scale US vehicles. I had wanted to propose a local club project to make
a 1/10 M24 Chaffee years and years ago using roller chain basis tracks and fine birch ply as the hull but there was no interest.

Jerry
Old 07-14-2013, 09:56 PM
lposter

Iguess the lack of available parts for the bits that are really hard to make is a factor.

Roller chain is great stuff but without a mill/lathe its hard to make the sprockets and drive wheels look anything like their real life counterparts.

The chain is a reasonable facisimile of tank track to my mind by itself - more so than conveyor belt or similar. Door hinges do a reasonable job but Im not sure how you find sprockets to fit it. Plus you can easily attach things to roller chain if you so wish,.

But the weight of it is a killer - especially for a broad tracked tank like a tiger or something.

If this text comes out as a single block - apologies. Im using "carriage return" (thats a term you dont hear much nowadays) but recently it still comes out as one big paragraph.

p

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.