Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Saito is the best four stroke glow engine.

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines
View Poll Results: A poll
It is the best.
38.30%
It is second only to O.S.
10.44%
It is reliable
3.87%
Light and powerful and reliable.
24.18%
Light and powerful but not reliable
1.74%
Fails too often - too many deadsticks
1.74%
Too expensive
5.03%
If on sale, I would buy one.
6.77%
Sure, good as any other
5.03%
nah - bearings fail every 10 (or less) flights
2.90%
Voters: 517. You may not vote on this poll

Saito is the best four stroke glow engine.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 09:12 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Saito is the best four stroke glow engine.

Yes Ed, you should sell all of your Saitos. I agree. I have no idea how anyone can say that a YS is as reliable if you consider using the engines for a 1-2 year period.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:24 PM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I used to think the Saito engines were "Not attractive" to the eye, the cam driven gear case does obtrude somewhat. However, being a long time lover of radial engines the Saito cylinders are beautiful to me.

Every other four stroke just looks like the cylinder of the (Bleah!) Honda engine on your log splitter. Calling the others good looking is like praising the texture of the concrete in your sidewalk. All the same.

Bill.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:51 PM
XJet
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger
The Saito prices for equivalent displacements are way too close to YS prices to buy anything other than a YS, if you're needing high performance.
That might be true if you live in a country where nitromethane flows like water :-) but as someone who lives in a country where it costs $80 a gallon (or more), the Saito works out a *lot* cheaper if you plan to do any flying.

I'm happy to throw a Saito 125 in where you might put a YS63. I'll get more power, very little weight penalty, and an engine that works just fine on as little as 5% nitro.

I very nearly bought a YS63 for one of my 3D profile planes but was shocked when I worked out the difference in iperating cost over a 1-year period between the YS and the Saito 82 I eventually bought. What's more, the Saito has never missed a beat, never been fussy and handles a very wide range of props with ease.

If nitro was cheaper here I'd certainly consider investing in a YS -- but until then, Saito rulez!

Old 12-08-2006, 09:54 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: William Robison
I used to think the Saito engines were "Not attractive" to the eye, the cam driven gear case does obtrude somewhat. However, being a long time lover of radial engines the Saito cylinders are beautiful to me.
I had exactly the same experience -- I wondered why anyone would put such an ugly lump of metal on the front of their model -- until I actually held one and marveled at the nice shiny bits and beautiful curves.

Saitos are like the good old Porsche 911 -- you either love the look of them or you hate them. However, those who spend enough time looking eventually become admirers and appreciate the curves and lines.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:57 PM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

With the engine partially cowled and the cam box enclosed, how can you not love it?

Bill.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91280.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	574026  
Old 12-09-2006, 02:04 AM
RVM

YS doesn't offer their engines in enough different displacements.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:20 AM
speedster 1919

Hi Scott The recommended 82 prop range is 12x8-15x4 , 10-30%nitro and20% oil. Your 14x6 is at the high end of prop size and not the best 3D size. A 14x4W should be the ticket . 25% cool power is only 17% oil. Most 30% nitro fuels are Heli and the extra oil (22-24%) retards the nitro a little. So a 20-20 YS blend should be fine if you have to have high nitro. Thousands and thousands of Saito flyers use 5-15% nitro just fine. ( a lot cheaper fuel ) Just my .02
Old 12-09-2006, 09:20 PM
blw

Saitos are beautiful engines. I recently bought a 30GK. I really don't need it, but is such a nice running engine and looks so good.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:22 PM
RVM

Scott, you say "only 17%" as if it were a bad thing. Frankly I think 20% oil is too much for the Saitos I've run. I've run as low as 12% full synthetic no problem, and lots of Europeans run their Saitos 10%-12% regularly, full synthetic. I think if one were to go up to 25%+ nitro you may want to up the oil content a bit. I do run 12% syn/3% castor in my Saitos for a little extra safety margin.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:23 PM
speedster 1919

RVM That's great you run 15% oil. Your - STICKEN IT TO THE MAN - when the distributer says 20% oil (what do those morons know ? ) You seem to forget that Saito's do have a common problem of early bearing failure. But I'm sure you never had bearing problems nor anyone you sugest to run alot less oil..........
Old 12-10-2006, 10:29 PM
XJet
Banned

Speedster, remember that manufacturers have to write manuals and make recommendations aimed at the lowest-common denominator -- ie: the morons who don't have a clue.

Regular folks can use commonsense when working with engines and make sensible adjustment to the manufacturer's "for morons" recommendations.

10% lube is more than enough for the piston/liner lubrication and, in a 4-stroke, the crankcase tends to accumulate a fixed amount of oil, regardless of how much is actually in the fuel.

I've run my 4-strokes on everything from 12% to 22% and every time I take thebackplate off, there's the same half-teaspoon of oil sitting in there regardless.

It's this blow-by oil that lubes the con-rod, bearings, camshaft and lifters so I figure that if that amount remains constant then there's no harm in cutting back the oil percentage.

All the normal caveats apply of course -- don't run too lean and don't overload your motor. Either of those can do far more damagne than dropping a few percent in oil will.

But, to play it safe, manufacturers assume that everyone's a moron and everyone will lean the needles to get the very last rev out of the motor -- so had better run far more oil than they actually need, just in case ;-)
Old 12-11-2006, 03:43 AM
RVM

Yup yup. [8D]

ORIGINAL: XJet

Speedster, remember that manufacturers have to write manuals and make recommendations aimed at the lowest-common denominator -- ie: the morons who don't have a clue.

Regular folks can use commonsense when working with engines and make sensible adjustment to the manufacturer's "for morons" recommendations.

10% lube is more than enough for the piston/liner lubrication and, in a 4-stroke, the crankcase tends to accumulate a fixed amount of oil, regardless of how much is actually in the fuel.

I've run my 4-strokes on everything from 12% to 22% and every time I take thebackplate off, there's the same half-teaspoon of oil sitting in there regardless.

It's this blow-by oil that lubes the con-rod, bearings, camshaft and lifters so I figure that if that amount remains constant then there's no harm in cutting back the oil percentage.

All the normal caveats apply of course -- don't run too lean and don't overload your motor. Either of those can do far more damagne than dropping a few percent in oil will.

But, to play it safe, manufacturers assume that everyone's a moron and everyone will lean the needles to get the very last rev out of the motor -- so had better run far more oil than they actually need, just in case ;-)
Old 12-11-2006, 07:15 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

The Saito prices for equivalent displacements are way too close to YS prices to buy anything other than a YS, if you're needing high performance.
That might be true if you live in a country where nitromethane flows like water :-) but as someone who lives in a country where it costs $80 a gallon (or more), the Saito works out a *lot* cheaper if you plan to do any flying.

I'm happy to throw a Saito 125 in where you might put a YS63. I'll get more power, very little weight penalty, and an engine that works just fine on as little as 5% nitro.

I very nearly bought a YS63 for one of my 3D profile planes but was shocked when I worked out the difference in iperating cost over a 1-year period between the YS and the Saito 82 I eventually bought. What's more, the Saito has never missed a beat, never been fussy and handles a very wide range of props with ease.

If nitro was cheaper here I'd certainly consider investing in a YS -- but until then, Saito rulez!

------------

Of course, it must be considered as to which country one is in and the price of nitro.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-11-2006, 07:19 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

-----------------

I have a couple Saito .82 engines and one YS .63S. I bought the latter for powering those models with fuel tank placement problems.

Nitro is much cheaper here (USA) than it used to be. But I keep remembering when the sole American nitro plant was shut down in the early Nineties and how sad some folks were, even back then, when trying to fly their high performance models on straight fuel, or fuel with nitromethane substitutes. Fortunately for me, I was flying mostly Enya and OS engines back then. They didn't much care if they had nitro or not - in warm weather.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-11-2006, 11:25 AM
RVM

I remember that!

Nitro is much cheaper here (USA) than it used to be. But I keep remembering when the sole American nitro plant was shut down in the early Nineties and how sad some folks were, even back then, when trying to fly their high performance models on straight fuel, or fuel with nitromethane substitutes. Fortunately for me, I was flying mostly Enya and OS engines back then. They didn't much care if they had nitro or not - in warm weather.

Ed Cregger
Old 07-24-2007, 01:09 PM
stephen_allott

I have a Saito 100 and want to replace the bearings. Does anyone know how to do it? I heard about putting them in the oven to get the bearings out but have never done it and am looking for a general consensus.

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:16 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Look on this site. There is a option across the top for how to install bearings.

http://www.rc-bearings.com/

Setting the valve clearance

http://saito-engines.info/maintenance.html

Read the Saito notes at the top of the glow engines forum to pick up how to set the timing of the cam. There is a dot on the front of the cam and this goes straight down with the piston all the way up
Old 07-14-2013, 09:13 AM
mortyspals
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Own Saito, O.S. & Magnum four stroke engines..each has it's pro's & con's....never had any serious trouble with any of the three makes in over eight years of use.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:33 AM
jessiej

I'm confused. Would one classify this thread as a zombie or a vampire? Back to life after 6 years! Perhaps it was just a deep coma.

jess