Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Taft Hobby EPO Viperjet, 90mm EDF/micro turbine *Video*

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Taft Hobby EPO Viperjet, 90mm EDF/micro turbine *Video*

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 03:45 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Taft Hobby EPO Viperjet, 90mm EDF/micro turbine *Video*

ORIGINAL: Hugo777

Hi, you can buy in sweden to
http://mlhobby.com/flygplan/taft-hob...-edf-gron-epo/
Only preorder so far... "Går att förhandsbeställa via mail."
Old 05-30-2013, 04:00 AM
Henke Torphammar

Ready2fly got the turbine convertion kits in stock now. It includes everything you need to mount and run the turbine. Wrong picture on their web though... http://ready2fly.com/shop/USER_ARTIK...tegorie_ID=331
Old 06-21-2013, 04:44 AM
Henke Torphammar

A pic of a Viperjet with a P20, mounted with the convertion kit.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:56 PM
c_makhija

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Henke,

Unfortunately the sab conversion kit text is not in English. Will it include the tail pipe too with a bell mouth.
Which do you think will be the most efficient tail pipe for the T30 lambert.

Thanks
Chatty.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:57 AM
Henke Torphammar

ORIGINAL: c_makhija

Hi Henke,

Unfortunately the Hab conversion kit text is not in English. Will it include the tail pipe too with a bell mouth.
Which do you think will be the most efficient tail pipe for the T30 lambert.

Thanks
Chatty.
You get the CNC parts for tank and turbine mounting, a 650cc fuel tank, thrust tube and the asseccories to the fuel tank. Plug and play :-)

I found a 40mm pipe to work well, but the standard grumania 46mm is good too.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:05 PM
c_makhija

Thanks.....

Chatty
Old 07-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Henke Torphammar

ORIGINAL: c_makhija

Thanks.....

Chatty
No problems mate :-)
Old 09-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Henke Torphammar

A little education from the other universe...

Originally Posted by techspy
Got a few more flights in yesterday. I tried with 6s on grass one more time and it still wouldn't rotate. So, I guess it is an 8s only bird for me.

This has a Jetfan and ARC motor. I added the thrust tube and have flown on 8s 5000 and 8s 5300 and it had no issues with the weight. Landing is without flaps.

I tried to doppler the video and got 116mph on one pass. It was about 95f and humidity in the 90s as well. My cells were down to about 3.85v when landing.

I was a bit concerned with the mushyness of control at max speed. Don't know if the servos are just at their max or what. But then again, that guy flying it with a turbine was much faster and everything was stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW7MAFRCwRU

I finally got to test the speed. I've got a buyer looking at the airframe tomorrow so I quickly attached the jeti speedometer and went to the airfield.

I started out aiming for your 186km/h (116mph) and got the plane to cruise at 186km/h level flight for several laps over the field. I looked at the throttle and momerized the position.

Then I floored it and got several readings in the low/mid 230's again level flight. I never use full throttle going down so I always throttled back when going downwards. The highest speed recorded was 245.5km/h, again not pushing it on the way down, not trying to break any records just checking the figures for you/us.

At home after the flight I ripped out the engine and mounted it on my little test bench, I started it and set the throttle to where the plane did 186km/h(116mph) and the engine puts out 2200grams+-100g(4.85lb +-0.1lb) of thrust. Throtteling up to full power I recorded 3400grams/7.4lb.

Now we know this plane does 116mph @ 4.85lb of push and 147mph @ 7.4lb of push. ...and it can do 154mph without breaking.

100% Stock airframe
HS65MG servos
Kolibri T35 turbine

Last edited by Henke Torphammar; 09-24-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:14 AM
modtron

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

There is a new distributor for the UK with stock and spares arriving next week

modtron
Oxford UK

Last edited by modtron; 09-24-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:57 AM
Kaos

Has anyone done business with PayLessRC? They are advertising the Taft Viper Jet now.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:29 PM
sim76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Henke Torphammar
Taft Hobby just came out with a new EPO Viperjet for 90mm EDF. Its also a perfect turbine convertion with alot of room for fuel and accessories. I know Ready2fly are already distributing this bird and I assume you will see it at your local hobby shop soon.

Wingspan: 1450mm
Length: 1274 mm
Motor: 1450Kv borstlös motor (PNF)
Controller: Hobbywing 80A (PNF)
AUW: 3200g
Retracts: Aluminum
LiPo: 6S 5000mAh LiPo (not included)

The plane it self comes in two versions, ARF or PNF. I choose the ARF, as I like to pop in HS65MG's all around. The ARF weighs 1650gram out of the box.(to compare with the Ready2fly Venom which is 1550grams) It's a nice design with alot of improvments that I like. For example, HS65's fits in the servo covers when this kind of plane usually is designed around $2 junk servos. The flaps are hinged correctly and can drop to almost 90 degrees out of the box. It also comes with an 11blade EDF unit which correctly balances should make a nice sounding plane. The stock PNF version is measured to 204km/h which is pretty good for a plane in this class. It's fitted with a sturdy CF tube wing spar and all parts fit togeather really smooth.

For those choosing EDF you might want to know the inlet area is just under 5000mm²(4950) and the tailcone is 80mm at it's smallest spot opening up to 82mm during the nozzle.

The Viperjet is a short aircraft which would make it perfect for a rear mounted turbine, but as the nose is all occupied with the front gear there is no way of fitting batteries and such in the nose, they have to go where the 6S flight pack usually would go. This calls for a thrust tube to avoid too much extra weight in the nose.

When setting it up with a Kolibri turbine it balances perfectly with two 1800mAh packs, when choosing a P20 you would have to add about 100grams of lead in the nose, or twin 2500 packs. With the Kolibri engine the dry weight is 2550grams, again 100grams heavier then the Venom, but still very light considering the EDF version is advertised at 3150grams AUW. I choose a 750cc fuel tank from GBR Jets, with it filled up I'm actually spot on the 3150gram mark. (With a P20 add 250grams to the AUW)

More to come after the test flight.

The viperjet assembled

Cut out of the stock ducting to fit the tank

I made CNC parts to mount the turbine and hold the thrust tube. Two rings in the duct and the small teeth to prevent it from going forward. The parts are available for Kolibri/P20 via [email protected] as usual.

Tank and radio in place. The tank simply CA glues in place using EPO blocks to wedge it firmly in place before glueing.
anyone can tell me where is possible to buy this fuel tank of 750cc? because on gbr jets website can't find
Old 10-06-2013, 11:52 PM
Henke Torphammar

Originally Posted by sim76
anyone can tell me where is possible to buy this fuel tank of 750cc? because on gbr jets website can't find
You can get the complete kit from [email protected] which includes a 650cc fueltank and CNC cut parts for a care free bolt on assembly. Or get the 750cc tank I use from [email protected].
Old 10-07-2013, 01:36 AM
sim76

Thanks, a lot, can you post there same picture to show how is locked at the end of jets the thrust tube?
Old 10-07-2013, 01:39 AM
sim76

jets munt tested the new turbine merlin 35 , 3,5 kg of power with starter motor and pump brushless

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RGoJmw9qCCA
Old 10-07-2013, 02:03 AM
marc s

Hi, just a quick update on this 750cc tank.

I made some fuel tanks a while back, 500cc, 750cc and 1000cc all cylindrical in shape as a test to see if these sorts of things might be of interest, I never really pushed them so whist happy to make some I don't have them in stock or on my web site. If 5 or 6 are required I will crack open the moulds and fabricate, but I cannot make just one or two for economy's sake.

Those interested PM or email me and we can go from there.

Gianluca I have your interested logged already

marcs
Old 10-07-2013, 02:17 AM
sim76

Nose gear is ready while the mains use temporary wheels(correct size) as the breaks haven't arrived yet. Useing temp wheels will make the foam cutting easier. I think it turned out pretty well. The suspention is super good now! Once again I encourage you to take the step and buy a set of real struts. They are very much worth their money and will move on to the next airframe too!

the electric landing gear is the original of taft hobby or you have replaced it? if yes what kind have used? (in case put he link where you have buyed)
Old 10-07-2013, 03:08 AM
Henke Torphammar

the electric landing gear is the original of taft hobby or you have replaced it? if yes what kind have used? (in case put he link where you have buyed)
Stock retract units
Old 10-07-2013, 03:19 AM
Henke Torphammar

jets munt tested the new turbine merlin 35 , 3,5 kg of power with starter motor and pump brushless
Also Kingtech are said to be pondering a smaller engine, but none of these are around yet. The Jetsmunt have looked the same for a couple of years as they say they have been busy working on the larger engines.

I only know for sure these engines will be larger then the Lambert I use, P20+ size and weight-ish. You would need atleast 35N of push, more like 40N to get proper performance, specially if flying from grass. The whole setup will also be heavier as the engine always are mounted behind the CG. For example a R2F Venom turns out at about 2400grams with a Lambert and 3000grams with a P20, even though the engines weight only differs 100grams. Talking from my experience in this end of jet flying, for the larger of the micros I would step up from the foamplanes and go with fiberglass or buildt up planes of good quality. More space and better off with the heavier wingloading.

However it will be intresting with more smaller engines on the market as this range of size suits alot of people :-)

Last edited by Henke Torphammar; 10-07-2013 at 03:21 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:13 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Henke,

You are correct with Kingtech. Barry said the K35 would be done by now, but he's been quiet on that subject lately. But, Gaspar has been working on the Merlin 35. From what I can tell... it will be the next one out. But, it's probably going to be a little expensive, even though, Gaspar is trying to keep the price down.

Regardless... The Merlin will have USA support.
sim76

thanks a lot, if is possible post some picture where is possible to see how you have fixed at the end of jets the thrust tube
ytrewq

I picked mine up at the BMFA Nationals from Gliders. They also had an MB339 by the same company..
Old 10-07-2013, 04:44 AM
marc s

From what I understand and having chatted to Gasper at Jetpower he is also looking to incorporate the valves etc into the case of the M35 so overall it should be a nice product - the 'sprite' turbine on which it is based I do believe is smaller than the P20.

marcs
Old 10-07-2013, 04:46 AM
Henke Torphammar

Originally Posted by ytrewq
I picked mine up at the BMFA Nationals from Gliders. They also had an MB339 by the same company..
There are alot of 90mm jets that are great turbine convertions, but this Viperjet is the first one I have seen that really performs! Yes, some others fly well too but you never se a slow roll over the whole field just a couple of feet of the deck :-)
Old 10-07-2013, 04:50 AM
Henke Torphammar

Originally Posted by marc s
From what I understand and having chatted to Gasper at Jetpower he is also looking to incorporate the valves etc into the case of the M35 so overall it should be a nice product - the 'sprite' turbine on which it is based I do believe is smaller than the P20.

marcs
For this size I really hope valves are external. You need the weight up front(!) Also those small valves are not known to be running as clockwork
Old 10-07-2013, 05:08 AM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some video of my ViperJet turbo. We were lucky to be alone at the airfield this beautiful but windy day. I made two flights and combined them to one video showing both fast and slow flying. When no wind the Viperjet is super smooth!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRBrgJAUXjU[/youtube]
Wow dude, great plane, & some of the best flying I've ever seen.. Great job!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.