Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Quadra 35 carb?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 06:13 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Quadra 35 carb?

Does anyone know what brand and number the Q35 carb is? I need a rebuild kit and cannot find anything on mine that distinguishes it. It is not pulling up fuel well after the initial choke/prime. It burns the prime off, then will not keep running. I figure a rebuild is necessary.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:23 PM
vertical grimmace

Default RE: Quadra 35 carb?

Also, I wonder if there might be another modern carb that might fit this engine that I could swap out? I am thinking possibly one for a G38 or a DLE 30? THe reason why is the original carb has no choke, and that is going to prove to be a pain.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:20 PM
hsubman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Walbro. WA-58 Try Bennett Built Products for parts
Old 07-14-2013, 08:26 PM
vertical grimmace

Great! thanks
Old 07-15-2013, 05:33 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Just about any small engine shop or Auto Parts store (Napa) for sure will have the Kit. Take in the carb or entire engine so they can compare..............There should be numbers somewhere on the side of the carb body?
Also there are some good posts on re-building Walbro's, not difficult just pay attention to assembly steps.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 07-15-2013, 08:31 AM
capnduane

The kit you need is most probably a K10wat or D10wat. One is just the gaskets and diaphrams, the other comes with all the little parts also. My Quadras like to be very wet before they will start from cold. I put a hole in the cowl so I can stick my finger over the carb opening and rock the prop till my finger tip is good and wet. I also have made up a "long finger" with a stick and a champagne cork for some models. Good luck!
Old 07-15-2013, 09:47 AM
hsubman

I thought I was the only one that did that! Works good though!
Old 07-15-2013, 05:06 PM
gbfan
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Quadra 35 in my hand and also a carb rebuilding kit for it. I was just going to put it on Ebay.
Mine is not a walbro Carb like some one said, maybe yours is. I was going to ask 25.00 plus shipping my engine
is in good shape but no spark ! Mine has a choke
David
630-670- 3919
Old 07-15-2013, 06:52 PM
vertical grimmace

OK, first of all, thanks a ton for the info. I was able to secure the rebuild kit today and it is indeed the K 10 rebuild kit. It just so happens that while it may have needed a rebuild, that was not the problem.

I will go through my process for the sake of others. First of all, I had it running great on a test stand a couple of times several weeks ago to make sure it worked. I picked this engine up second hand from an estate. It ran great, and was very easy to start. I have a spring starter on mine.

So, I put it in my plane, and it starts acting up. It would burn the prime, but not continue to run. So I rebuild the carb tonight, and added a velocity stack as well. Mainly to control fuel from getting where I do not want it. The engine did the same thing.

I figure it worked with my test stand tank, so I hooked it up to the engine, setting it on top of my fuselage. Worked perfectly! So I am thinking I may need to pull the tank. I decide to just replace the fuel line to the carb. It is a little bit smaller than what I had already in the plane. Yay! That is all it took. Not sure what was wrong with that fuel line, but it was the problem all along. Just goes to show you it can sometimes be very simple.

Here is the plane it is going in. Still painting crosses, but hope to be flying within the week.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20680.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1900932  
Old 07-15-2013, 07:07 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Very cool plane! Glad it worked out for you.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:02 PM
vertical grimmace

The cork on a stick might just prove to be the ticket! Once I get the dummy engine installed, I will not be able to get my finger over the intake.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:10 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

The cork on a stick might just prove to be the ticket! Once I get the dummy engine installed, I will not be able to get my finger over the intake.
I have thoroughly researched the cork/choke process, and I am willing to share that wine cork needs to be trimmed down to size, but cork-with-cap from a brandy bottle is just about right. Of course, you may want to do your own research to verify my findings.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:37 AM
capnduane

Yes, pretty hitech involved here. I actually prefer the rubbery like corks and use the allpurpose chop stick for a handle. My Gee Bee Y has a old quadra with a walbro with a very small venturi, my pal Mel has small hands and he is adept at plugging the hole up while I turn the prop to prime. But sometimes he is not available.... So I made up a cork on a stick that matches his finger..... Mels Finger.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94707.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	1901437