Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Nitro direct drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 01:05 PM
justin428

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro direct drive

ORIGINAL: Sixtysixdeuce

I cant figure out how to get those size wheels on my gt. If you could tell me I would be so appreciative!!
It was actually quite easy. Just pick up a set of Traxxas Slash 17mm hex adapters, re-tap the retaining nut to #8-32, and drill the pin hole in your axle stubs to accept the slightly larger cross pins (not 100% necessary, but advisable).

Those adapters are no longer on my car, as it now has an OFNA Ultra complete rear diff & suspension assembly, but it did in the pics in the beginning of this thread.

Handling was actually quite good, excellent stability. The downside is reduced braking power and weight; those HPI Phaltlines wheels/tires weigh .59 lbs EACH.
thanks so much! After I do all that, what wheels can I run? Any 17mm hex wheels? I have my eye on a set of 4" wide ofna rims. If you have any pics or anything else that can help me please do. You're apparently the only person who knows how to do this!!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTG35&P=7
Old 07-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Sixtysixdeuce

After I do all that, what wheels can I run? Any 17mm hex wheels?
I would think so, as long as you have the clearance (mainly exhaust).

The only 17mm wheels I've used are the ones pictured in the beginning of the thread, and in the photo above. I did read your posts on the other forum; If you're wanting 4.5-5" OD, probably better off with 12mm hex adapters and Traxxas All-star or Proline Desperado 2.8" wheels. The Pro Lines can be had with street fighter tires, but if you're wanting to off-road, I'd go with the Traxxas Talons. 4.8" OD, and they're darn good tires. I run them on my other GT:

As for getting your back end up, might try some 1/8 buggy front shocks, like these for an HSP:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180961858821...84.m1439.l2649

That's what I'm running on the back of this one. Easy install-just use longer upper mount screws, and mount the bottom directly to the control arm (ditch the little bracket)

Spring rate might be a little stiff for a mostly stock GT, though; this truck has a lot of custom steel and aluminum parts, and a .32 engine. It weighs 7.2 lbs with fuel.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:29 PM
Sixtysixdeuce

Well, got to play with it a little today. Weather sucked, wet roads and little time to play between showers, plus big time humidity, but initial testing is promising. We only had about 300 yards of useable road where we went, which isn't enough, but after a few runs with 25% fuel we were getting 69 MPH before I had to let off throttle. Truck handles well, though I'm having brake issues, as the nitro engine vibration is causing the adjusters to unscrew, leaving one broken.

What I need to do now is play with alignment a bit, try to true and balance the wheels, and get some hotter fuel coming. Has anyone here played with Torco boat fuels? I'm thinking about ordering a gallon of 50% boat fuel and their 30% car fuel and mixing them to get 40%. I know Byron makes 40% car fuel, but best price I'm finding is $12 per quart plus $11 shipping PER QUART. I just need this to accelerate faster, as I don't have anywhere nearby to get much more road, and a 1/10 car getting several hundred yards out becomes very difficult to control.

Good news is the clutch survived. The smaller tires reduced the load enough.

I'll try again out here with my 30% fuel on a dry day, see what happens, but I think I'm gonna need 500-600 yards of road and hotter fuel to reach my goal.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:46 AM
justin428

As far as braking goes, how cool would it be to have a rocket-style parachute like a real dragster? Do you have a 3 channel remote?
Old 07-15-2013, 01:00 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

Well, got to play with it a little today. Weather sucked, wet roads and little time to play between showers, plus big time humidity, but initial testing is promising. We only had about 300 yards of useable road where we went, which isn't enough, but after a few runs with 25% fuel we were getting 69 MPH before I had to let off throttle. Truck handles well, though I'm having brake issues, as the nitro engine vibration is causing the adjusters to unscrew, leaving one broken.

What I need to do now is play with alignment a bit, try to true and balance the wheels, and get some hotter fuel coming. Has anyone here played with Torco boat fuels? I'm thinking about ordering a gallon of 50% boat fuel and their 30% car fuel and mixing them to get 40%. I know Byron makes 40% car fuel, but best price I'm finding is $12 per quart plus $11 shipping PER QUART. I just need this to accelerate faster, as I don't have anywhere nearby to get much more road, and a 1/10 car getting several hundred yards out becomes very difficult to control.

Good news is the clutch survived. The smaller tires reduced the load enough.

I'll try again out here with my 30% fuel on a dry day, see what happens, but I think I'm gonna need 500-600 yards of road and hotter fuel to reach my goal.
I bet your radio wont even work at 600 yards, that is very far away. 300 yards should be plenty enough room.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:56 PM
Sixtysixdeuce

I bet your radio wont even work at 600 yards, that is very far away. 300 yards should be plenty enough room.
300 was guestimated, didn't have my range finder. Might have been less. Regardless, I needed 1/3 of the distance to stop. I revisited the brakes with longer cam arms, heavier cable and a high torque MG servo; that should reduce my stopping distance by >50%.

As for the radio, it's a 2.4, and I'm not standing at the beginning or end of the run, but in the middle.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:03 AM
cumquat

justin's parachute idea may be something to look into. maybe a plastic grocery bag or the 'chute from those toy paratroopers (the ones you throw into the air or drop from the roof). if it wasnt so dang expensive, i'd suggest using a model rocket engine on the front.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:56 PM
Sixtysixdeuce

I went back out with the range finder today, and I was pretty close. It was 175 yards from start point to decel point, and another 120 yards to the furthest point used in stopping. So in all, I really was using 300 yards. With the brakes actually working now, I imagine I'll need only about 50 yards to stop, so I'll be able to accelerate for about 250 yards.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:26 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

I went back out with the range finder today, and I was pretty close. It was 175 yards from start point to decel point, and another 120 yards to the furthest point used in stopping. So in all, I really was using 300 yards. With the brakes actually working now, I imagine I'll need only about 50 yards to stop, so I'll be able to accelerate for about 250 yards.
I didn't think about the brakes taking so long to stop it, maybe with the improvements it will reduce the distance.