Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE60 Twin

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 04:26 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DLE60 Twin

So the tank and the plumbing has been replaced with different brand / style parts?
That's quite a miracle. I'd mount a different engine in this plane and see what happens to the carb.

Or run the twin on a different plane. If it's still the same, you can rule out the fuel system.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:20 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

can you tel me how the carb is at fault?
Old 07-16-2013, 02:08 AM
dingo9882

The white substance happened to me. It didn't click in my head until when I took the engine apart and there was that same material in the engine. The rear bearing was going and it was masked by the front bearing holding the crank shaft in so tightly. It just idea, wont hurt for him to look inside the engine.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:57 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: dingo9882

The white substance happened to me. It didn't click in my head until when I took the engine apart and there was that same material in the engine. The rear bearing was going and it was masked by the front bearing holding the crank shaft in so tightly. It just idea, wont hurt for him to look inside the engine.
Grease won't harden in the presence of gasoline (at least MOST wont), but seriously... How on earth could crud from the bearing inside the crankcase get inside the carburetor???? This has got to be some sort of space-age physics that's beyond my comprehension.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Mr_Grump

No. Not really. I'll also admit up front that I've not closely read all the posts. I'm just basing it on personal experience so don't by all my suggested parts if you're concerned about wasting the money.

I've had similar problems in the past and I fly gas exclusively. I don't claim to be a 2-stroke genius either. I do know I've wasted a lot of good flying time trying to figure out why an engine doesn't run well or at all. I've replaced the fuel system just as you have, plugs, ignition module, even as a last resort, the timing FET and ignition battery knowing they likely were good. I bought a carb kit, rebuilt the carb. Finally I assumed I hosed up the kit or something was still inside the carb. Ordered a carb, gaskets, reed block and solved the problem.

If you think about all the time, aggravation and missed flying time, buying a carb up front would have been a better choice for me personally. From then on I make the usual checks when I have engine problems that COULD be the carb. If after a day or two I've not solved the problem, I order a carb. So far thats worked for me.

This approach doesn't apply to everyone so don't bother to tell me how I've wasted money. I already know it.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:39 PM
dingo9882

1QwkSport2.5r, I said the exact same thing you did when it happened. I still do not know what happened. Maybe it was material from the bearing that when it was going it started slowly making its way that direction. It still blows my mined.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:53 PM
BUCKETOBOLTS
My Feedback: (1)

1QwkSport2.5r, I said the exact same thing you did when it happened. I still do not know what happened. Maybe it was material from the bearing that when it was going it started slowly making its way that direction. It still blows my mined.
Was it metal from a ball bearing or bronze from a bushing? And it was inside the fuel side of the carb or the throttle bore?
Old 07-16-2013, 05:33 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Sorry bud... Gunk from anywhere inside the crankcase cannot work its way to the carburetor, especially on the fuel tank side of the screen. This phenomenon is not possible.

I'll eat my shoe if someone can prove this can happen AND is the cause for this DLE 60's problem. I have my doubts.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:52 PM
BUCKETOBOLTS

I'm curious to wether the debris was shrapnel or sludge? Either way I can not see how it can travel from inside the crankcase to the fuel inlet. It is physically impossible.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:00 PM
thepamster

He said it was hardened white gunk after the first 6 flights and then it was softer grey gunk after the next 6 flights. I am curious what the next 6 flights would reveal.
The OP was seemingly unhappy with the original responses and bowed out. So we may never know.
It sounded like some kind of sludge though and most of us already speculated where that came from.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:12 PM
BUCKETOBOLTS

ORIGINAL: thepamster

He said it was hardened white gunk after the first 6 flights and then it was softer grey gunk after the next 6 flights. I am curious what the next 6 flights would reveal.
The OP was seemingly unhappy with the original responses and bowed out. So we may never know.
It sounded like some kind of sludge though and most of us already speculated where that came from.
He also failed to mention how long between those 6 flights. Could have been 6 weeks to 6 months, the white crud is oxidation from storing with moisture in the fuel. May have been from contamination or ethanol content. Not sure what the grey stuff would be. As they say, a picture is worth 1000 words and would be helpful in diagnosis.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:45 AM
dingo9882

1QwkSport2.5r, I do not want anyone to think I am arguing with you or anybody else. If it wasn't the bearing it wasn't the bearing and I just learned something. Thank you.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:50 PM
Nick_O

Originally Posted by dadragon
Gaines;what a nice time to start a quiz,How is the A-1 doing.Geo.
The power of this engine is still unclear as of May 2015:

Firstly - the MAKER of these engines is Mile Hao Xiang Model Technology Co. Their website says...
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.com.au&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.dlpower.net/rcpme%3Fproduct_id%3D8&usg=ALkJrhjy8xshDBXZhjljbjZy98vGnNMUiQ
7.0hp@8500

DLE USA says....
http://www.dle-engines.com/about.html
7.0hp@8500

DLE Australia says...
http://www.dlenginesaustralia.com/dl...ol-engine.html
7.0hp@8500

A shop
http://www.ibcinyourc.com/store.php/...rcraft_engine_
5.5hp@8500

Another shop
http://www.redwingrc.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=237
5.5hp@8500

I'm still confused about this. Does anyone have a response from the factory itself??