Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Neiuport 28 Maxford USA

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Neiuport 28 Maxford USA

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 08:22 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Neiuport 28 Maxford USA

Has anyone got the Maxford USA 70 in wing span Neiuport 28. I got one several months back and would like some info. I've completed assembly. I'm using a SPE 26 cc gas engine. I knew it was going to be tail heavy so I built platforms to mount the batteries inside the cowling. Had a 2000 mah 6v and a 2300 mah 4.8. It was still tail heavy. Didn't want to just add lead balast so I got two 4200 mah batteries and mounted them up front. Then a heavy hub. Now the plane's CG is right at 4" behind leading edge of the top wing. Instructions have 3 7/8" as the rear limit. Plane weighted 11.9 lbs before with the small batteries and now 14 lbs. I really don't want to add more weight. My CG works out to about 28% of MAC. Looking for real life flight tested CGs. I've got control throws as per instruction with 30% neg expo on the elevators and 20% neg export on the ailerons. Checked out evey thing else. Wing incident are within 1/4 of a degree horizonal stabs are straight etc. Ready for a test flight if the wind ever slows down.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40597.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	1874616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58162.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	1874617   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93998.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	1874618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le93017.jpg
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	1874619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb37907.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1874620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ja41774.jpg
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1874621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Df72752.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1874622  
Old 04-26-2013, 02:59 AM
Tauri Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Neiuport 28 Maxford USA

Don't worry about the weight. My stearman was around 18 lbs. with that Honda on it, and it would fly solid just above an idle.
Your Nuieport has about the same wing area.
Rick
Old 04-26-2013, 03:59 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

14lbs is going to put you about 28oz wingloading,,, should fly like a trainer with 1165 sq" of wing, just keep the speed up while landing and I think you'll be fine.

good luck
Old 04-26-2013, 09:21 AM
Chucksolo69

I have a friend who has an electric powered Maxford Nieuport and he can't get it to to turn left with any authority. He is an accomplished builder and it is really a mystery to him. Any ideas?
Old 04-29-2013, 12:18 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Chucksolo69

I have a friend who has an electric powered Maxford Nieuport and he can't get it to to turn left with any authority. He is an accomplished builder and it is really a mystery to him. Any ideas?
Could he have too much right thrust in it?

Does it not roll left as much as it rolls right? Or are you talking about YAW?

How does the plane track on an upline?

Or a downline with power off?

Old 04-29-2013, 03:56 PM
RBean

The wind died down for a day on Saturday and I got the Neiuport out to the field for a test flight. Take off was ok but it needed a lot of down trim. Flew ok but needed lots of rudder coodination. Other than needing down trim didn't seem tail heavy. Stalls were gentile and didn't snap or roll. Recovery easy. Roll rate was slow. Turns just about as good with rudder only as with ailerons. On the first landing attempt I tried to bring it in fairly fast and land on the mains. Didn't work, bounced and went around. Tried again, bounced again and went around. Next try I did three point. Worked better.

I added more rudder mix and flew again. This was better. The SPE 26 is enough but not over powered. Will do nice loops; chrisp entry and recovery form snap rolls and quick recovery from spins. Even though I added travel to the ailerons, roll rate is still slow. The landing was a three point, ok. The CG was 3 7/8" behind the leading edge of the top wing. Works out to 27% of MAC. On landing it seemed a little nose heavy so I removed four of the eight finder washers I had on the prop hub. Also used the flaperon setting on my Fataba Radio to put in a lot of aileron differential and more travel. Over twice as much up as down. I'm waiting for the next period of decent weather to continue my flight test program.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:45 AM
Chucksolo69

ORIGINAL: opjose

ORIGINAL: Chucksolo69

Could he have too much right thrust in it?

Does it not roll left as much as it rolls right? Or are you talking about YAW?

How does the plane track on an upline?

Or a downline with power off?

I will check it out next time he brings it. We have a couple of fellows who have this kit but are afraid to build it until the first one gets straightened out. Imight tell him to bring it this weekend.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:31 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Almost all WWI planes need to be flown with rudder in the turns. And the N 28 did not have the biggest ailerons on the bottom wings. Down trim is not that uncommen on biplanes. Your wings may need a bit of AOA tweaking. But if it flies well with the down trim in it...is it worth fixing? Glad to hear that the first flight was a good one.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:09 PM
RBean

Hello Rick, you were right 14 lbs was no problem. Hope to see you at the field.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:16 PM
RBean

I got three more flights on the Nieuport this week end. Added more rudder mix and more aileron throw, in fact all there is. It still has a slow roll rate. I'm going to seal the aileron gaps (there is not much) and see if that helps the roll rate. Also need to do something about this landing gear with no give.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:38 AM
rcfighterjock

RBean,

In reply to your initial question, I just finished a maiden flight with my 70 inch Maxford Nieuport 28. I did it electric. 6 cell/5000 mah battery up front, rx pack on top of the engine mount box and a bunch of lead in the cowl. It weighs 14 pounds right on the button and I balanced it right on the upper wing spar. It's a floater. Flies great at 1/2 throttle. As it was only a maiden I didn't do a lot of aerobatics, but the takeoff was straightforward, climb out was scale, the flight was uneventful and the landing was rubber-side down. I can tell you that with the CG right on the upper-wing spar and at 14 pounds you'll be fine. Don't hesitate to add a bit more weight to get the CG right. This plane should handle it. Anything else I can do for you, let me know. Dave
Old 05-09-2013, 11:51 AM
rcfighterjock

Whoops! Sorry guys. Jumped the gun trying to help and didn't read the entire post. Congrats on the successful flight. It's a sweet plane.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:45 PM
RBean

Thanks for the reply anyway. I now have 10 flights total on the Nieuport. Removed all but one of the washers on the prop hub. No cg problems and lowered wtg slightly. I sealed that aileron gap. It helps, roll rate is not fast but ok now. Had several flights today. Stall is fairly gentle. Plane does good hammer heads, snap rolls are quick, it will recover from a spin in about one turn when the controls are released. or half a turn if opposite rudder is used. The best landing results from three point landings at idle shortly above the ground. The SPE 26 is running a bit rich. Needs a little needle adjustment. Power is ok. I've noticed the tabs that hold the flying wires are already showing elongated holes and other wear. I will replace them with the tabs with the brass incerts.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:45 PM
RBean

I noticed that not only were the holes in the flying wire brackets elongated but some of the wires were half cut through. So I replaced all the stock brackets with Sullivan brackets. I didn't have any more braided wire so I used solid wire. I came out ok. If you are putting one of these together, especially if you are using a gas engine, use Sullivan brackets from the start. The brass inserts prevent the brackets from cutting into the wire.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Bob dunlop
My Feedback: (1)

This is a great plane!
I've been flying mine for about 5 months now...it flys like a trainer.
I set mine up electric...E-Flite Power 160 on 10s 5800mah, Castle 120HV ESC soit did'nt need much to make cg.
Did a bit of detailing..changed wheels and used cotter pins to secure them,added a scale tail skid,Aces of Iron pilot and some gauges.
Also changed all wires and stuff to Proctor Enterprises, and a bit of weathering and Hat and Ring decals by Callie Graphics
Here are some pics

Name:	Ay75754.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	1891082   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42841.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1891083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx63256.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	1891084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42776.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	1891085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs94756.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1891086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ar10504.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	642.5 KB
ID:	1891087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pr24656.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1891088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gf17921.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	1891089  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr21667.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	1891090  
Old 06-12-2013, 02:02 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Bob,

Are there any provisions for absorbing the impact of landing?
Old 06-12-2013, 06:53 AM
Bob dunlop

No...the landing gear is rigid but if you change the tires to the Williams Brothers like mine they will absorb some of the shock.
I have a number of WW1 planes and the ones that had some sort of suspension I've made more rigid.
Ive found that soft suspension makes most of these WW1 planes very unpredictable as they will rock side to side.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:25 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Makes sense. I have always wanted to do a pre-1920 warbird.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:47 AM
Bob dunlop

This would be a good one to start with IMHO because it is so easy to fly, not to mention it goes on sale for about $200 at least once a month and with a little effort it can be made to look really nice.
The construction of this ARF is way above average and the stock hardware pkg is very good, I changed all the flying wires and such to Proctor Enterprises as a I wanted the metal parts to be brass (kit parts are silver).
The one thing I really like about this plane it's the sliding motor box...it makes it very easy to use any power plant

Old 06-12-2013, 07:59 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Bob dunlop

This is a great plane!
I've been flying mine for about 5 months now...it flys like a trainer.
I set mine up electric...E-Flite Power 160 on 10s 5800mah, Castle 120HV ESC so it did'nt need much to make cg.
Did a bit of detailing..changed wheels and used cotter pins to secure them,added a scale tail skid,Aces of Iron pilot and some gauges.
Also changed all wires and stuff to Proctor Enterprises, and a bit of weathering and Hat and Ring decals by Callie Graphics
Here are some pics
Very nice.

How did you go about painting the spokes on the wheels?

I'm afraid that my attempts to do the same by hand will look terrible.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:33 AM
Bob dunlop

Highlighting the spokes is actually the easy part
After painstakingly painting all the brass eyelets, silver rim and leather lacing with an incredibly fine brush I dull cote the wheel with Testors Dullcote and then weather with powdered charcoal and then the highlights of the spokes will just pop and then Dullcote again to seal the charcoal.
Thanks for the compliment!
Bob
Old 07-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Danny1944

Just finished my Neiuport 28 and have flown it 3 times, it flies much like a trainer to me. This plane was easy to assemble and had some good hardware with it. I bought a Sullivan wire tail kit instead threading wire through the rudder and horizontal stabilizer.I followed RBean pictures of his plane and added all the weight to the front. Those pictures helped me a lot, thanks RBean. Had to add two clunks of lead to the front and the airplane weights about 13 pounds. Placed the machine guns just to left and right of top center of fuselage and used wood screw from inside fuselage with epoxy to secure. Have a GF26i installed, seems to do well. On my third landing I made a three point landing and after rollout as I turned the plane around one of the wheels collapsed, broke at the axle, I think it was just one of those freak things that happen sometime, ordered another from Maxford, no problem, came in today, suppose to rain next 5 days down here, but hope to fly it soon. I think for the price this is a outstanding airplane. Again thanks RBean for your e-mails, your advice really helped.

Name:	Db86030.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	1897386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80370.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	1897387  
Old 07-10-2013, 06:51 PM
RBean

Danny1944,

I'm glad your Neiuport flys good. I got mine out to the field the other day. Had a couple of good flights and then after a loop it pitched up. Not enough down trim, but got it landed ok. It turned out that the front cabane struts came loose at the bottom. I didn't epoxy them in case it is necessary to disassemble for repairs or maintaince, The screws supplied in the kit were too short and ripped loose. I redrilled larger holes and used longer screws. So far no more problems. Finally got the engine turned. It took a while as I leaned out just a little at a time. Didn't want to get it too lean. I think I will order Dubro or Williams Brothers wheels to get just a little give in the gear. Total of 15 flights on the plane now.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:18 AM
Bob dunlop

Took mine up Sunday, here's a short video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv06...e_gdata_player
Misprint on YouTube page says Power 90, it should say Power 160
Old 07-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Danny1944

Bob , that was a great video, what did you do hire a professional? what brand of wheels do you have on your plane? It looks great. RBean I have put about 12 flights on my airplane now and all is doing well. had to replace one of the wheels, and the cover on the other is starting to crack, but the plane is doing great. One of our club members helped me adjust the engine  a few days ago and it is running just great. I am following the manual and 25to1 mix on gas oil for break in. There is one more change I would make on the airplane if doing over, put a Sullivan tail wheel on, I think the one supplied is a little weak, but it works. What do you think about the Spad Maxford has? I would like to have that plane, just looking now, wife will hang me from flag pole in my yard if UPS drops another box at the door, I have run out of places to hid planes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.