Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

26cc gas conversion on used bi wing plane

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

26cc gas conversion on used bi wing plane

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 09:30 AM
gbfan
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 26cc gas conversion on used bi wing plane

I bought a Bi wing plane, unknown manufacturer,got the motor running great.
I was told it is too small of a motor ?? I think its a 26cc that I will run 93 oct gas in for more hp
So about the plane. it has a 68 inch wing span and 60 inch length weighs 14.4 pounds flying weight with no gas
in it . I plan on a 18 / 8 prop....
I currently have a cap232 at 13 lbs on it I have a saito 180. that is equal to 29cc .. both engines are
a little under 3 hp and The cap has plenty of power

So will it fly ok ??? I am not looking to burn the skys just sunday cruising
Note : Some one else thought it would fly the plane he put the motor on it ..
Old 05-12-2013, 10:06 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: 26cc gas conversion on used bi wing plane

Based on the specs you outlined the 26cc engine unless its a real dog of an motor should fly your model okay even though bipes can be real draggy, however I think that an 18x8 might be too much prop for that engine and would suggest you try an 18x6 instead. Which engine do you have ?
Old 05-12-2013, 11:07 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but a 35 to 50cc gas engine on that bird..... been there done that u will be more happy in the end.....
Old 05-12-2013, 01:14 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bipes of that size and weight flew with .60 2-strokes and .90 4-strokes back in tha day, so that gasser will fly it fine. I agree on the 18-6 prop, it will accelerate better for the first few flights, then try the 18-8.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:16 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

We have a guy at our field with a Hangar 9 Taylor Craft and at 15 lbs flies quite nicely on a G20 turning a 16x6 prop, no tearaway speed but easy relaxed flying which is what the OP is looking for.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:55 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A lot depends on the plane. I have a 16 pound Boeing that flies with an OS 120fs glow engine. I pull it off the wall every couple of years and install a different engine in it to see how it works out. Last engine I used was a 40cc Brison gasser. It didn't fly it any better then the OS. I think I will try my 22cc RC Showcase gasser in it this summer. The 120 was a bit under powered but the plane still flew. The F4B-2 has a bunch of lift. It too is 68 inch.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67982.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	1881514  
Old 07-15-2013, 06:44 PM
gbfan
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That 26 cc motor did not fly that bipe well at all. Not enough power!!!! Maybe it was not 26 cc but a 20cc I am not sure . no marking on that old motor
I put a saito 180 on it and we tried again. It flies great at slow speeds then when you turn on a little
power she gets all squirly.We thought we had radio problems, then I changed radios to find the same problem. Did a range check on both radios
Then we figured that the wings need n struts so its back on my work bench and its getting the struts installed . I realize that the saito is a bit over powered
but you just give a little and it goes haywire then you let up on the throttle and you gain control of the plane once again. At least it is back on the bench and not in the garbage can RIGHT !!!
Heres a pic with the old gas motor
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99980.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	1900929  
Old 07-16-2013, 07:52 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If I had to guess that is a kit-bashed phaeton 90 which balsa USA sells...

the tail looks like a phaetons, the top swept wing with the shorter bottom wing which is straight screams phaeton to me and the cabanes are built like a phaeton's.... Phaeton 90 has a 70 inch wingspan though it does look like they may have just clipped the corners in the build that you have...

I guess more specifically it reminds me more of the phaeton 2 which is the smaller version

all that being said, a 26cc should fly the pants off of that plane since its designed for a .90

and you definitely need the N struts... otherwise the wings move with respect to each other and all sorts of bad things happen, I've had them fall off on my phaeton before in flight... not a fun experience.