Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FEJ Hawk

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FEJ Hawk

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 09:45 AM
never-enuff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FEJ Hawk

What did the big Hawk bring at the auction?
Old 07-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Zagzoo
My Feedback: (28)

Default RE: FEJ Hawk

money
Old 07-15-2013, 11:21 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Lewis Patton outbid everyone for the donated Hawk. it almost went for full retail. I think David Jackson stopped bidding at around 4k when it was getting rather obvious that Lewis was going to get it no matter what price was bid.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:26 AM
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)

$5,300 or $5,350. . .bidding war was between Lewis and Boli (Bevar) till the end. . .other bidders including myself dropped out when their predetermined limits were reached. Lewis kept looking at Dorothy who smiled and gave her approval to keep bidding

Lewis told the attendee's the stab and carbon fiber spar with the auction jet is being replaced with a complete new unit.

Regards,
Eric
Old 07-15-2013, 11:30 AM
never-enuff
My Feedback: (11)

WOW!!!!
Old 07-15-2013, 11:31 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

deleted post
Old 07-15-2013, 12:18 PM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

WOW... LOL... Wish my wife would do that for me when buying a jet..LOL... CONGRAT'S out to Lewis!
Old 07-15-2013, 12:50 PM
rbxbear44
My Feedback: (86)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: BluFox

$5,300 or $5,350. . .bidding war was between Lewis and Boli (Bevar) till the end. . .other bidders including myself dropped out when their predetermined limits were reached. Lewis kept looking at Dorothy who smiled and gave her approval to keep bidding

Lewis told the attendee's the stab and carbon fiber spar with the auction jet is being replaced with a complete new unit.

Regards,
Eric
I had to leave Friday but I knew Lewis had the "eye of the tiger" for that bird. Glad he was able to get it. He saved about $1k on shipping so he did really well on the price!

Rex
Old 07-15-2013, 03:01 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a really hard time understanding the concept of smart people bidding on a FEJ product that blew up on their faces just hours before.

Is crashing due to structural failure the new "in"? If so I want in, I want in!!
Old 07-16-2013, 04:48 AM
luv2flyrc

ORIGINAL: FalconWings

I have a really hard time understanding the concept of smart people bidding on a FEJ product that blew up on their faces just hours before.

Is crashing due to structural failure the new "in"? If so I want in, I want in!!
I hear you. The factory prepared (no less) demo model, flown by arguably the best model jet pilot in the world, has the tail blow off during it's demo flight, the factory comes on here and says: they're going back for a redesign and people are lined up to bid on it at Kentucky! It's been well established on here that they have NO customer service after you've paid your bucks.

Excuse me while I go look up the definition of insanity to see if this fits. Sounds like a recipe to loose about $20k in equipment to me!

Old 07-16-2013, 05:11 AM
foster4u
My Feedback: (112)

One of the best things about being free is that we can spend our money as we like, without fear of ridicule or reprisal. If it is ok to spend millions of dollars a year on cigarettes and drugs that will certainly kill us, then why not on a hobby that bring us joy? Just because you see it as insane, does not make it wrong. Or should we only waste our money on the brand and choices that you favor??

To each his own, and as long as the buyer goes into the deal fully aware let freedom of choice stand.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:31 AM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

I personally saw the part that failed on the hawk. The part never had a chance, the material it was made from was not carbon fiber plate, it was a laminated material consisting of two hard surfaces with a soft core. I too am not an expert on aircraft engineering but when you compare what other manufactures do in a bird of that size and compare it to what FEJ did you have to ask yourself who is designing this stuff? Every company goes through a learning curve and the all have failures and they learn from it. They also learn that they need to prove there product themselves before they offer it for sale to the public. I watched there demo pilot take off a model at Kentucky when it was clear to everyone that the motor was not running right on the ground and he went for a flight hoping it would get better, guess what I didn't and it ended in a dead stick landing. It seems that there attitude is if you bury your head in the sand everything will be fine. There are people around them that are trying to point them in the right direction and help them to have a good product but there not listening. I guess my point is if your house is built on a poor foundation it does not matter how much paint you put on it. Someone at the top of FEJ just does not care or is totally clueless about how to build a safe model jet. If you look at all the bad press they got its clear that there rushing to get models out there so they can say look we fixed our problems but all they do is keep shooting themselves in the foot. If I where FEJ I would take a step back, slow down and fix and test one model at a time.
Don
Old 07-16-2013, 06:39 AM
Wap4life
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: foster4u

One of the best things about being free is that we can spend our money as we like, without fear of ridicule or reprisal. If it is ok to spend millions of dollars a year on cigarettes and drugs that will certainly kill us, then why not on a hobby that bring us joy? Just because you see it as insane, does not make it wrong. Or should we only waste our money on the brand and choices that you favor??

To each his own, and as long as the buyer goes into the deal fully aware let freedom of choice stand.
+1

Old 07-16-2013, 06:51 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Don I saw the same thing lol.

We where all standing their near the flight line when the fly eagle guy was taxing out and the engine was popping and making all kinds of sounds and clearly was not running right. So what did he do?? Take off dead stick and crash This was after another dead stick he did a great job getting it back and landing but the last one not so much.

We where all like *** is wrong with this guy? They just had a dead stick. Engine is running like crap. So I guess nothing left to do but takeoff and crash
Old 07-16-2013, 07:35 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW !
But just like everything else coming from FEJ ... Just another bad idea / decision.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:47 AM
luv2flyrc

One of the best things about being free is that we can spend our money as we like, without fear of ridicule or reprisal. If it is ok to spend millions of dollars a year on cigarettes and drugs that will certainly kill us, then why not on a hobby that bring us joy?
Yep, I must admit, I don't see those people as the sharpest knives in the drawer either.

Or should we only waste our money on the brand and choices that you favor??

I don't have a brand preference, I've just read so much negative PR on FEJ, that unless you think ALL these people are lying about their grief, I know, I wouldn't touch their product. Why would you when there are alternatives??

Would you purchase a TV from a company if your research told you that the brand usually fails right out of the box, the company often ships it with missing parts, they don't respond to your inquiries, they threaten law suits if you don't keep quiet about it, etc? That, to me would be "insane"

Old 07-16-2013, 09:34 AM
gjhinshaw

How many FEJ flew at Kentucky? and how many times did they fly?   How many crashed?
Old 07-16-2013, 09:47 AM
luv2flyrc

ORIGINAL: gjhinshaw

How many FEJ flew at Kentucky? and how many times did they fly? How many crashed?
This thread's about the 1/3.5 Hawk. One flew, one crashed.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:59 AM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: BluFox

Regards,
Eric
The final bid was $5300. My last bid was $5200 which I thought was enough to close the deal. As always, had a great time at Kentucky Jets and looking forward to next year. [8D]
Old 07-16-2013, 11:04 AM
rcguy5

Either way Lewis did a favor to all those that bid. Who knows, maybe all this was orchestrated so an attendee didn't end up with a liability raffled off at kentucky jets!!!!
Old 07-16-2013, 11:08 AM
foster4u

''I don't have a brand preference, I've just read so much negative PR on FEJ, that unless you think ALL these people are lying about their grief, I know, I wouldn't touch their product. Why would you when there are alternatives??''

I do like other jets but I reserve the right to buy what I like, from whom I like, and when I like. Whether I torch my money with a BVM, Composite ARF, or Skymaster it is my choice. No one has the right to stop me because of their beliefs, feelings, or issues. I won’t buy from BVM because of the way he disrespected me when I was new to the jet world. I was young and eager and he was rude. This meant more to me than any monetary loss but I don’t keep pounding on him. I moved on and spend my money where I choose. I don’t protest Skymaster Jets, even though I had one of their there Hawks that blew a stabilizer off in flight. And yes it was due to poor quality. I do this hobby because I love aircraft and the hobby. I also know how to ask for specific changes on my aircraft when I don’t like what’s considered ok.

''Would you purchase a TV from a company if your research told you that the brand usually fails right out of the box, the company often ships it with missing parts, they don't respond to your inquiries, they threaten law suits if you don't keep quiet about it, etc? That, to me would be ''insane”

(yes, if that’s what I want) Please tell me what part of this hobby isn’t insane. Grown men spend thousands of dollars on toys with no practical benefit except a bit of joy. It really doesn’t matter whose jets I buy, my wife considers it all insane.

My point is if your desire is to make everyone aware of issues with FEJ then fine, consider it done. I am certain that most if not all brands of cigarettes and alcohol have the warning about the risk of cancer on the label, but you don’t call everyone with a bottle or lit cigarette stupid. We are all free to choose as we like so respect my rights and I promise not to tread on yours.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:13 AM
foster4u

Deleted
Old 07-16-2013, 11:26 AM
Wap4life
My Feedback: (3)

''I don't have a brand preference, I've just read so much negative PR on FEJ, that unless you think ALL these people are lying about their grief, I know, I wouldn't touch their product. Why would you when there are alternatives??''

I do like other jets but I reserve the right to buy what I like, from whom I like, and when I like. Whether I torch my money with a BVM, Composite ARF, or Skymaster it is my choice. No one has the right to stop me because of their beliefs, feelings, or issues. I won’t buy from BVM because of the way he disrespected me when I was new to the jet world. I was young and eager and he was rude. This meant more to me than any monetary loss but I don’t keep pounding on him. I moved on and spend my money where I choose. I don’t protest Skymaster Jets, even though I had one of their there Hawks that blew a stabilizer off in flight. And yes it was due to poor quality. I do this hobby because I love aircraft and the hobby. I also know how to ask for specific changes on my aircraft when I don’t like what’s considered ok.

''Would you purchase a TV from a company if your research told you that the brand usually fails right out of the box, the company often ships it with missing parts, they don't respond to your inquiries, they threaten law suits if you don't keep quiet about it, etc? That, to me would be ''insane”

(yes, if that’s what I want) Please tell me what part of this hobby isn’t insane. Grown men spend thousands of dollars on toys with no practical benefit except a bit of joy. It really doesn’t matter whose jets I buy, my wife considers it all insane.

My point is if your desire is to make everyone aware of issues with FEJ then fine, consider it done. I am certain that most if not all brands of cigarettes and alcohol have the warning about the risk of cancer on the label, but you don’t call everyone with a bottle or lit cigarette stupid. We are all free to choose as we like so respect my rights and I promise not to tread on yours.
+1, 2 & 3

Old 07-16-2013, 11:28 AM
luv2flyrc

William, you're arguing about whether you have the right to purchase "junk". Of course you do but, my question is: Why would you knowingly purchase junk? Do you think yours will be the one that doesn't break? Or the one that comes with all the parts? Or maybe you'll be the guy who gets a response from the company when he has a problem? Is this what you are thinking?

I think that's what perplexes most of us here. No one is saying you can't buy an FEJ jet if you want but, most are trying to understand why you would choose to do so, given what's known about the company.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:42 AM
gjhinshaw

Its not Junk!! Its what you make of it! I take my time putting a jet together! I insure that glue is here and there and if it doesn't look right I change it. We all or most of us just don't throw a jet together and go fly.... Maybe the new babies do because they take everything for granted and what everything handed to them!!! NO jet factory is prone to not crashing or building a jet that doesn't need something! If you say there is, Than you need to take a closer look OR we need to take a closer look at what you are flying!!! AGAIN, ITS NOT JUNK TO US WHO FLY THEM!!!!  This thread is like ALL the others on FEJ... What you get is ALL haters bashing everyone and every thing!!!! YOU, don't care what you do to the jet community its just for your gratification for a few minutes!  Its pretty sad for anyone to get on the forms anymore to see grown up guys bashing each other and bashing dealers, reps, and flyers... Yet you keep on and on to NO END!!   We live in a sad world these days!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.