Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Optic 6 Sport 2.4 lockout

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 09:41 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Optic 6 Sport 2.4 lockout

Today while flying my brand new Great Planes Escapade I experienced a harrowing lockout that lasted for 15 to 20 seconds. It is a miracle I still have a plane. I was flying away from the field to line up for a landing , luckily at level flight and a moderate throttle setting when I suddenly lost all response. It just kept flying straight and level. Luckily after I stirred the sticks frantically I started to regain some control, not all at once but sporadically , I managed to get it turned back to me and it started to regain more control the closer it got. I made a decent landing and shut it down without further incident. I am at a loss as to what happened, I only use high power batteries, big Duratrax 5 cell Nimh with 1600mah capacity and the battery is still perfect. My servos (5) are all Hitec , brand new and fully functioning still. Optima 6 receiver. Nothing looks wrong and the fact that I regained control has me at a complete loss. I had used that same transmitter on my Sonic just previously with no issues.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:13 AM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Optic 6 Sport 2.4 lockout

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696 Today while flying my brand new Great Planes Escapade I experienced a harrowing lockout that lasted for 15 to 20 seconds.
It is a miracle I still have a plane. I was flying away from the field to line up for a landing , luckily at level flight and a moderate throttle setting when I suddenly lost all response.
It just kept flying straight and level.
Luckily after I stirred the sticks frantically I started to regain some control, not all at once but sporadically , I managed to get it turned back to me and it started to regain more control the closer it got.
I made a decent landing and shut it down without further incident. I am at a loss as to what happened,
I only use high power batteries, big Duratrax 5 cell Nimh with 1600mah capacity and the battery is still perfect.
My servos (5) are all Hitec , brand new and fully functioning still. Optima 6 receiver. Nothing looks wrong and the fact that I regained control has me at a complete loss.
I had used that same transmitter on my Sonic just previously with no issues.
Immediate thought with that set up is your battery pack.
Any problems during the range check befor flying that model for the first time on the day?
What size Escapade? if above a .40 then be certain to use dual battery pack system withj A size cells.
AA NiMH batteries are suspect when running 5 servo, especially digital and model in a diving turn would draw a high current.
Did you hear any beeps at any stage or was the module LED flashing?
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Battery set up for Nitro/Gas models #1 - caution re NiMH & Alert re LiFE.
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Battery set up for Nitro/Gas models #2 - caution re NiMH.
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Dual or Multiple Batteries may be installed - Avoid Brownout & Add Redundancy, even one for each servo.
more under Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS 2.4Ghz Module, Transceivers_Receivers & Telemetry
- FAQ, Setups & Tips
e.g.
2.4Ghz Antenna: Transmitter & Receiver Boda and non Boda Installation and Orientation
Antenna Orientation for best 2.4Ghz Reception - Transmitter Antenna & Receiver Antenna.
Optima Transceivers, Maxima & Minima Receivers - Installation of Receiver & BODA Antenna
...Pictorial FAQ with Range Test Results. {Regularly Updated with Q&A}

Sugest check also that your Optic 6 Sport has both the latest Transmitter and latest module firmware updates:
Hitec Optic 6 & Optic 6 Sport - Manuals, Tutorial, Comparison Charts, Updates & FAQ

Much more information also available under sub sections
"Battery Care, Performance & DIY Battery Packs."
"Glitches & Jitter in Receiver, Servo & ESC - Causes and Cures"
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:32 AM
JIMF14D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you have your TX antenna set properly? How is the RX antenna positioned in that plane? Check the RX batteries!

Did you get low and slow at a distance and not realize it and were flying a semi-stalled plane?
Good luck!
Old 07-17-2013, 03:21 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Did you do a range check before and after the flight?
Old 07-17-2013, 06:17 AM
jeffie8696

"big Duratrax 5 cell Nimh with 1600mah capacity" 2/3 A size 5 cell battery, I was flying flat and level when the failure occurred, also I got no warnings from the radio whatsoever. My radio has all the latest updates with the HP22. Its a 60 size Escapade with 5 standard size servos.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:58 AM
JIMF14D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What "warning" coiuld you have gotten from the "radio" beside maybe low TX battery?
Old 07-17-2013, 06:45 PM
jeffie8696

Exactly, no low battery warning so how could I blame the battery which tested out perfectly afterwards. And the plane will pass a low power range test while still sitting inside the back of my family truckster.