Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Help setting up Revolver 70 DLE20 with Smoke

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 05:55 PM
kswanson
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help setting up Revolver 70 DLE20 with Smoke

I'd like to get set up with smoke and would like to get advice for steps to do it the best way for the best results.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:39 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help setting up Revolver 70 DLE20 with Smoke

Smoking is hazardous to your health.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:33 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Help setting up Revolver 70 DLE20 with Smoke

There are several threads on here already and also a tutorial on the basics in the how to section. It's not all that hard but will take some time adjusting it for your particular setup. There are several good pumps out there from TMS, Sullivan, Sonictronics, and others. Trying to find a place to put the oil tank without changing the CG can be the hard part though.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:49 AM
kswanson

Raptureboy.....

I've got the smoke system all set up and working..... however my final issue is tank size and placement.

The plane came with a 14 oz tank. I don't think I will need that much fuel for the flying I like to do... At most I am never in the air more than 10 minutes at a time.

I've reviewed the YouTube post by Knockoffs and he said he could only get a 4oz smoke tank which really amounts to a few puffs of smoke and that is it.

However, he did mention that he was building another and was going to use two slimline jet tanks.

That said, I have those two tanks and that would give me 22 oz in fuel and smoke oil. However, I am still pondering other set ups.

I have a sullivan skywriter for the smoke pump and it is mixed with the throttle and toggled with the gear switch. I've got it dial pretty well where I get good smoke but not copious amounts of oil dripping from the plane.

The tank combinations I am pondering are:

1. Two 11oz Jet Tanks

2. 11oz Fuel and a 14oz Smoke

3. 8oz Fuel and 14oz Smoke (8oz gives me 10 minute run time at full throttle)

The catch is making it all fit and balanced.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:57 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like a smoke tank the same size as the fuel tank. That way I can smoke for most of the flight if I want. If I don't, I just partially fill the tank.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:43 AM
Tbatt
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a 16oz smoke tank on my Super Chipmunk with a RCS 140 gasser. 16 oz would give me about 5 minutes of smoke. Put in the largest smoke tank you can fit.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:23 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah yes, making it all fit that is always the fun part. The DLE uses such little fuel that a 8-10 oz tank is enough for most flights and being that you can only pump so much smoke into a little engine and not cool off the exhaust to the point where all you do is pump oil there is no point to having a huge tank. I can get 45 sec of continues smoke on 12oz. Smoke really has a better effect if it's not just left on the whole time till all you have is a big cloud. I know you 3d guys love to do that but I like to see sky writing not cloud making in the air, loops, barrel rolls, hammer heads just look better with some smoke added. I have a GP PT 17 biplane with an 10oz fuel tank and it will go more than 15 min on that fuel and the smoke will last for most of that if used judicially.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:20 AM
kswanson

Still have yet to get this plane up in the air. The smoke stuff is throwing me off.......

I was looking the other day and found and since lost a forum post where someone had a smoke set up that I am thinking of using.

I think the guy had an 8oz fuel tank behind the wing tube on the belly of the plane and in the main fuel bay he had his smoke tank. I am wondering if anyone has seen this post and if so if you can share it back with me.

Wondering how this configuration impacted the CG of the plane.

I also did the bowman ring and reed valve mod on my DLE 20. So I am wondering how long I can run on 8oz.

Also, why does this plane need to be balanced up side down??

Last edited by kswanson; 09-02-2014 at 07:40 AM.