Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Accident Report in on my Ultra Stick Crash

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Accident Report in on my Ultra Stick Crash

Old 07-15-2013, 09:31 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident Report in on my Ultra Stick Crash

"On July 14, 2013, approximately 2015 eastern daylight time, a Hangar 9 Ultra Stick 40 ARF, HAN 1675, piloted by a member of the Irish Hills Radio Control Club, crashed into a small pond at the Irish Hills RC field near Napoleon, MI, following a loss of control due to dumb thumbs. The pilot and two onlookers were not injured. The aircraft suffered substantial damage. Day VFR meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan was filed.The flight originated as a normal RC sport operation at the club field.
The aircraft impacted the pond in a near-vertical, high speed descent. Post-impact examination revealed the engine was creating near-maximum power at time of impact. During post-crash inspection, flight control continuity was established and there were no apparent anomalies with the aircraft, engine, or radio equipment.
On-site interviews were conducted. The pilot stated he was doing '...my normal s***...', to include an outside snap at take-off and 'occasional stick-bangin', dude'. The onlookers said they were torn between 'morbid fascination' and self-preservation behind their vehicle. Just prior to impact, the pilot stated he was attempting a recovery from a low, inverted position and, '...it all went to crap in a half-second.'

Probable Cause

The NTSB determines the probable cause of this accident to be the pilot's running out of airspeed, altitude, and ideas while operating well beyond the scope of his mediocre ability. Contributing factors were the pilot's previous attempts at the Figure-7 maneuver, an inverted version of a Figure-9. It is the Board's recommendation that any remedial training of the pilot would be a massive waste of time and resources. A final outcome is pending before the Board. "

Last edited by eddieC; 08-07-2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: My bad.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:58 AM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Default RE: Accident Report in on my Ultra Stick Crash

Hi

Very good analysis, and funny too. However the pilot error mentioned, happens to us all at different times I am sure. Had a similar incident years ago, however I sifted a SUPER HOTS through an oak tree in my situation. Again a great story, LOL. No report to the FAA!

Vince
Old 07-15-2013, 10:10 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

I love folks who can laugh at themselves in this hobby!  Well written!

Old 07-15-2013, 10:39 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

this sums up my stuff also lol
Old 07-15-2013, 11:55 AM
chopper man

FAA violations pending????????????
Old 07-15-2013, 01:53 PM
Calvinman

LOL
Old 07-16-2013, 07:36 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you did not mention if there was any aquatic damage ?

Been there done it

Cheers Bob T
Old 07-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Wagon1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Eddie. That as to funny. (sorry for you loss)
Old 07-18-2013, 12:47 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great write-up and sense of humor about yourself. Love your style of presentation! I have dumb thumbed one into the ground from low inverted and high speed. Pulling up elevator was really really really stupid, but I smile about it now. My sons remembered their backs were turned, but they heard the earth suck the plane to the ground with a resounding WHUMP...the sod farm was being watered at the time and my engine was 6" deep in the dirt. Thanks for sharing your experience! Jon