Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Not (but now I am...) impressed with Dimension Engineering

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Not (but now I am...) impressed with Dimension Engineering

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 06:22 AM
Dmon1996

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Not (but now I am...) impressed with Dimension Engineering

I am getting a 1/6 Stuart done up, and am using a Sabertooth 2x12 RC board for it. The stock electronics are horrible, but the big tank appeal is undeniable. Anyway, I have used Sabertooths before for controlling 1/16 scale and had no issues with them. This time, just when I was buttoning up the drive for the motors quit. The drives are 12 volt versions of an RS540, stall amps are 5 per motor, but this ESC is rated at stall of 15 ammps per and operating of 10 amps per... The motors are not binding, the other servos work fine, but when trying to drive the error light comes on. Bummer....

Stuff happens, and these have a 1 year no charge replacement warranty. So I contacted Dimension Engineering; just got a reply to send it back on my dime and they will repair it. That is not "no charge" and is nnot a "replacement". I had included wit hmy initial email all the ordering info including the invoice and tracking numbers that they had supplied in February when I bought it. It is definitely covered by their warranty, yet they seem to be backpedalling on their warranty claim.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:34 AM
Triton-50

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Not (but now I am...) impressed with Dimension Engineering

That seems a bit unreasonable!!

I think a stronger E mail might be required as goods not fit for purpose!

Stu
Old 07-18-2013, 06:47 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

If the warranty claims/states full replacement, then I wouldn't take just repairing them.

Give 'em hell buddy!

Jeff
Old 07-18-2013, 06:56 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

In nearly 15 years of buying computer parts I can probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of occasions when the vendor paid for the return up front...
Old 07-18-2013, 08:11 AM
Dmon1996

I am now getting the standard 50 questions, most of which I had already answered. But I have been told that they will cross ship for me - at least I'm moving forward. I expect to be asked for further details, but not to repeat myself over and over. And I realize that they would probably want me to ship the unit back but no charge replacement means no charge to me. We will see how this pans out. They most recently have asked for teh specs of the servo that I said I had disconnected and was not using during the testing.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Dmon1996

Well, in all fairness I have to post the results. After a half dozen emails back and forth (all this morning, and I had only emailed the issue to them last night) there is a new one in the wind for me. The tech has determined thatthe processor went bad, or at least that is what he believes. So all's well that ends well, and I am happy with their customer service. Sometimes the 20 questions to determine the problem comes across accusatory, and as I am a PC tech I had already tried all the diagnostics that he came up with. But they have to ask the questions as they deal with all types and there are some people out there who have the diagnostic capability of a turnip (believe me, I know...).

Anyway, my Stuart should be up and running in a week or two...
Old 07-18-2013, 03:03 PM
Perry S.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad it worked out for you. I had the same setup in my Stewie. Had the exact same problems with it. Many emails back and forth with no resolution. Many times requesting the same info over and over. I got fed up and moved on, chalking it up as a vendor I wouldn't deal with again.

Glad you got it handled though.

Perry

Old 07-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Dmon1996

I know the controller is a good unit - I put one in the KT I have as my avatar. I do not have any tank with such precise control, and have had zero issues in over a year. But this one.... I was wondering if I overtaxed it but I have found postings of people using the 2x5 controllers and they have only 5 amp peak. The 2x12 has 15 amps peak, and I have not gotten anywhere close to stalling these drives. I found a posting where one fellow used a couple of cordless drill motors for his drives and had no issues. I just got a bad unit from the look of it.