Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

I have some news for everyone that uses Hobby King

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

I have some news for everyone that uses Hobby King

Old 07-18-2013, 04:15 PM
RURC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have some news for everyone that uses Hobby King

First let me just say hello. Some of you may remember me from days gone past. Just so you know I am still alive and watching these forums but not commenting.

Any how to my news.

I have been buying parts from Hobby King for about 5 years or so. I have spent a fair amount of money there over the years. Well I just placed an order for some motors and ESCs for my son and I. We are starting to play with air planes and their parts are inexpensive. Well I placed the order 7 days ago and paid for it immediately and my paypal account proves that. Well I log in today because the stuff should be here today or tomorrow. As I look at my account it says that my order is pending and has not been paid. I go and recheck my paypal and sure enough it IS paid and I have a confirmation number.

Here is where things start pissing me off.

I open a chat window and almost 40 minutes later someone gets on with me. That alone is unacceptable but it gets worse. I give the guy my order number and tell him the story. He comes back and says yes it is confirmed, what else can I do for you. I ask you can tell me why the hell it takes 7 days and direct action from me to get Hobby King to do their job and ship my stuff.

Here is the bad part:

He tells me that it is their policy to hold all orders until the customer calls to confirm. Now at this point it is all I can do to not strangle this moron through the computer. I say you mean that the customer must contact you and force you to update my account to paid. now he says YES.

So their new policy to combat fraud is to not fill your order when you place it but only after you, the customer, notices that your items have not been processed and start to ask question.

I have the entire chat transcript and can post it but it is rather long and I am very pissed during it.

I am shocked by this new policy but i think it is garbage. I told them that I was going on to every forum that I use to inform anyone using Hobby King about this so when you stuff does not show up when it should that this is their reason. They tell me that if the customer does not notice the problem after 14 days they will cancel the order and refund the money. But they legally cant do that. It is holding your money hostage.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:25 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: I have some news for everyone that uses Hobby King

Hiya, long time no see, I remember you fine. Hope you are doing well.
I've also made several orders from Hobbyking. Some of those orders have gone horribly horribly wrong due to the bizarre attitude and customer handling of staff, and their draconian international ordering and confirmation policies and procedures. I too have had to jump through hoops to get orders dispatched on several occasions.
I always go back for more. Why?
Easy...
I've saved literally hundreds of dollars. A few botched orders and even a few bad batteries, is still worth it.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:33 PM
RURC

Foxy
Great to hear from you.

I fully understand about saving money. Lets be honest I get tons of stuff for testing and evaluation but there is a lot of time that i just need something specific. So I have to buy. Unlike the GEICO guy I am not made of money. I did this to inform people that if you are ordering from Hobby King be very aware that you will most likely have to initiate a contact with them to get you order moving. So dont wait a week like I did (thus screwing up a big weekend with my son) do it the next day. That is why this was done to help others avoid this hassle.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Joe 1320

I would have a hard time accepting a policy of orders being held until the customer called to confirm, if they already have the money. Do that if you must before billing the card or accepting payment. I don't know a single retailer or wholesaler that charges an account and then asked for an ID. It is all done PRIOR to posting the transaction. Playing the hold funds game is not acceptable. I've had them hold orders hostage for more money after the order is paid, I've had them hold funds hostage for weeks by not refunding in a timely manner, I had to file paypal claims twice in a row over simple things that could have been solved quickly but no.....and that was the final straw. I quit ordering from them. I think they make stuff up in an attempt to save face when they drop the ball.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:39 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless this "new" policy started in the last 2 days then it doesn't apply to everyone. I ordered some parts on 17 Jul and they were shipped on 18 Jul. I think you just talked to a "bozo" who gave you a bunch of BS.

In the past I too have had an order that showed "not paid" after a couple of days. A quick chat session fixed the problem ASAP. I have had nothing but good service from HK. Just lucky I guess.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:54 AM
topspin

RURC, saying it is their new policy was a cheap cop out. The entire transaction is computerized so if Pay Pal indicates payment then Hextronik has the money and anyone who says they don't is lying. I am convinced and have been for some time, that Hobby King witholds funds on a pre-determined number of orders to pad the bank account for short term interest purposes. As you have already seen they give store credit instead of refunds which is just another way of holding your money. Once Pay Pal transfers the money it is in Hextroniks account so it stays there even as store credit until it is ofsett buy shipping the goods to the customer. This usually takes some time, longer than any other hobby vendor that I know about. So HK is a scam yet people still buy from them, I don't understand why anyone in the USA would bother with them when places like Heads Up RC are nearly as inexpensive, have great customer service, and usually ship the same day you place your order.

Sorry you had to find out the hard way but they are just a sidewalk hustler with a website.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:02 AM
RURC

radfordc
I dont know when it started but here is part of the transcript:

[03:07:29] Ricky: Sorry to keep you waiting. I'll be assisting you now. How can I help you today?
[03:08:38] Michael: My order # 2007254010 is listed as unpaid. Pay pal says it was compleated on the 12th.
[03:09:52] Ricky: I will verify it, Sir.
[03:09:54] Ricky: Please stay on the line while I check on that.
[03:12:07] Ricky: Done, Sir.
[03:12:15] Ricky: Is there anything else I may help you with?
[03:13:14] Michael: Yes tell me why the delay. These items should have been HERE today or tomorrow. Now I have to wait another week. What are you going to do about that?
[03:14:17] Ricky: We manually verify all payment to orders due to frauds that are recently attacking our customer's accounts.
[03:14:43] Ricky: We do this to prevent loss to our customers.
[03:14:59] Ricky: And also reporting what we find out to proper authorities.
[03:15:11] Michael: OK so it take the customer to contact you and force you to verify. I am really pissed about this.
[03:15:33] Ricky: Yes because we are gathering IP addresses of the people contacting us to know their locations.
[03:16:17] Michael: So if I had never contacted you guys you would have just kept my money and never sent my product?
[03:16:25] Ricky: In 14 days, the order will automatically be cancelled and the money be returned to your account.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:10 AM
RURC

I have never had any problem at all before this. But that thought about padding their bank account crossed my mind also.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:54 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: topspin

, I don't understand why anyone in the USA would bother with them when places like Heads Up RC are nearly as inexpensive, have great customer service, and usually ship the same day
Heads Up may be great but their inventory isn't much compared to HK.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:24 PM
topspin

ORIGINAL: radfordc

, I don't understand why anyone in the USA would bother with them when places like Heads Up RC are nearly as inexpensive, have great customer service, and usually ship the same day
So what, ther are dozens of other stores that between them have more collective invetory than Hobby King. So for just a bit more searching you can find anything HK has for a coperable price when you factor in shipping cost, and they wont screw you. I call that a win win situation.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:01 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: radfordc

So what, ther are dozens of other stores that between them have more collective invetory than Hobby King. So for just a bit more searching you can find anything HK has for a coperable price when you factor in shipping cost, and they wont screw you. I call that a win win situation.
well on one 2.4ghz radio in particular HK charges $15 (us warehouse) vs Hobbypartz $19, and only other site I know that sells it charging $22, but HK has it in stock 99% of the time vs the other 2 having 0 stock 99% of the time.
Same with batteries so many places never have stock or you have to hit them the day they stock (which sometimes is MONTHS later) to get anything.

As for authorization maybe your account got flagged for something(not saying you did anything, but sometimes someone trying to gain unauthorized access, credit card complaining etc can do this) I've heard of requiring similar steps with other companies if an account got flagged.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:35 AM
RURC

[/quote]
well on one 2.4ghz radio in particular HK charges $15 (us warehouse) vs Hobbypartz $19, and only other site I know that sells it charging $22, but HK has it in stock 99% of the time vs the other 2 having 0 stock 99% of the time.
Same with batteries so many places never have stock or you have to hit them the day they stock (which sometimes is MONTHS later) to get anything.

As for authorization maybe your account got flagged for something(not saying you did anything, but sometimes someone trying to gain unauthorized access, credit card complaining etc can do this) I've heard of requiring similar steps with other companies if an account got flagged.
[/quote]

SyCo_VeNoM

I can understand being singled out by being flagged for something, but the agent said this was for ALL customers. At one point in the conversation he singled out GOLD and PLATINUM members as betting hit up. Here is the quote from the chat:

[03:21:36] Michael: I should not have to contact you at all but when there is a problem with my order. I have never had to do this befor
[03:21:53] Michael: there is not protection just a pissed customer
[03:22:43] Ricky: I understand your concern but if you would just see how many accounts we have saved, you'll get to understand why we do this.
[03:23:26] Ricky: And most of them are Gold and Platinum members.
[03:23:37] Michael: The customer should be informed that you are just letting their order sit till they contact you and verify that you have been paid and their order shows not shipped
[03:24:26] Ricky: And if we inform customers on how we do security checks, then there's no sense in doing them 'coz frauds have ways to evade them.

My intent is just to tell customers of HK that you need to pay attention to your payment status and make sure that they are showing it as paid and completed.

That is where I stand on this.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:58 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Sounds like the guy was full of crap IMO kinda like comcast's representatives when I had issues to try and ease my anger at them.
Every time I called up I got a different reply till I finally hit one that told me the truth.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:00 PM
topspin

ORIGINAL: RURC

[/quote]

SyCo_VeNoM

I can understand being singled out by being flagged for something, but the agent said this was for ALL customers. At one point in the conversation he singled out GOLD and PLATINUM members as betting hit up. Here is the quote from the chat:

[03:21:36] Michael: I should not have to contact you at all but when there is a problem with my order. I have never had to do this befor
[03:21:53] Michael: there is not protection just a pissed customer
[03:22:43] Ricky: I understand your concern but if you would just see how many accounts we have saved, you'll get to understand why we do this.
[03:23:26] Ricky: And most of them are Gold and Platinum members.
[03:23:37] Michael: The customer should be informed that you are just letting their order sit till they contact you and verify that you have been paid and their order shows not shipped
[03:24:26] Ricky: And if we inform customers on how we do security checks, then there's no sense in doing them 'coz frauds have ways to evade them.

My intent is just to tell customers of HK that you need to pay attention to your payment status and make sure that they are showing it as paid and completed.

That is where I stand on this.
[/quote]

I was never flagged for anything but I have seen more than a hundred complaints similar to this one since January and twice that many last year on this and other sites. Even Hobby Kings own web site has a lot of complaints about taking a very long time to fill orders even though they are paid when the order is placed and all items are in stock. You will see every lame excuse in the world about why this is but it boils down to keeping your dollare in an interest bearing account as long as possible. Doesn't sound like much but if they do this to several hundred a month, most of whom don't complain, then over the course of a year it is a very large amout of money.

I don't know of any vendor in the United States that does such a thing since we consider it larceny. Besides like I said before, you can find whatever you need right here in the USA for the same cost when you factor in shipping not to mention the service and warranty that comes with US purchases. Why would anyone buy stuff from a sidewalk peddler with a website and no customer service that fibs when you catch them in the act.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:21 PM
Microz

Thats odd...I just ordered x10 turnigy nanotech UMX plane batteries from them and they didn't give me any crap like that. Confuses me that they would do that to just one person. I chose priority mail for a dollar extra, so maybe thats why?
Old 07-22-2013, 07:41 AM
topspin

ORIGINAL: Microz

Thats odd...I just ordered x10 turnigy nanotech UMX plane batteries from them and they didn't give me any crap like that. Confuses me that they would do that to just one person. I chose priority mail for a dollar extra, so maybe thats why?

The problem is that they do that very same thing to a lot of people not just one. You are only hearing about it because one person decided to say something about it.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:38 PM
dante9192
My Feedback: (1)

This is how HK treats you once they have your money!! And there is much more than just this short chat session. BEWARE!!!
Operator Elise has joined the chat.
Elise12:26:48 PM
Thank you for contacting HobbyKing! Hoping you are doing fine today! How may I help you?

luis12:27:42 PM
I need to find out when will I get my money back from this canceled transaction 2007457854.

Elise12:30:30 PM
Upon checking you filed a dispute from PayPal so we can not refund the amount to your account.

luis12:31:26 PM
I will keep filing claims till I get my money back. that is an unacceptable excuse

Elise12:33:45 PM
I'm sorry but what I can recommend is kindly close it and we will have a confirmation from our warehouse for the cancellation and once they approved it we will refund the amount to your PayPal account

luis12:34:37 PM
Im not going to close anything!! When is HK planning to answer the Paypal claim!

Elise12:36:55 PM
I really do apologize sir but that is the process that we need to follow. rest assured that once you close the dispute I will expedite the process of the refund

luis12:37:42 PM
No DISPUTE WILL BE CLOSE!

12:38:47 PM
I want a script of this chat session email to me so I can post this on Forums and send a copy to Paypal as part of the claim

Elise12:57:30 PM
I'm sorry for the delayed response. As much as I want to help you in this concern, we can not refund the amount unless you close the dispute
Old 08-21-2013, 04:42 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

You have initiated a dispute through Paypal. As long as that dispute is in effect I don't think you would have the right to demand anything much less contact the other party. Unless you were hoping to recover your money twice. If I enter into a charge back on my credit card I don't contact the other party I let the credit card company do their job. I sounds like you filed a Paypal dispute then tried to cancel your order and get a direct refund and conveniently forgot to tell them it was in dispute. Sounds kind of iffy to me are you trying to get reimbursed twice? Sounds like Elise isn't just another dull blade eh!!!!! Or its not the first time this has been tried.
Dennis
Old 08-21-2013, 08:05 PM
On2_n_On4

^^ agree
Old 08-21-2013, 11:04 PM
Sixtysixdeuce

Friend of mine ordered from HK; no problems, but took 8 or 9 weeks to receive his order. No thanks!

There is pretty much nothing I can't find for this hobby at a great price on eBay or Amazon, and even the stuff coming from China takes only 2-3 weeks on the outside.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:32 AM
dante9192
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Dennis!

Guess what? Got my refund!!! Not a double refund but still good for me

Hello LUIS DIAZ,

We have concluded our investigation into your claim.

Seller's Name: hexTronik Limited
Seller's Email: [email protected]
Seller's Transaction ID: 93R19091FU4986923

Transaction Date: Aug 11, 2013
Transaction Amount: -$68.41 USD
Invoice ID: 2007457854
Your Transaction ID: 90437945984002908
Case Number: PP-002-539-852-014

Buyer's Transaction ID: 90437945984002908

You have received a refund via PayPal in the amount of $68.41 USD.

Sincerely,

Protection Services Department

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you
will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account
and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

PPID PP639
Old 08-22-2013, 05:42 AM
Eman77

Right - probably because they followed the process via the PayPal dispute you filed, and that went through.