Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FlyEagle J-10 crash

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FlyEagle J-10 crash

Old 07-18-2013, 08:27 AM
rlenty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FlyEagle J-10 crash

Hello. Please, I would like you guys to watch this video and give your opinion about what happened that day. We have some doubts about the canards and obviously it was tail heavy. The airplane didn't suffer as that much and is already repaired and ready to fly again. But we want to know a little bit more about how to use the canards. Should I use them to take off? Or should I use it just to 3D? Were the movements in elevator and the canards so high? Should i use ailvator? elevon?Please, we need your help. Thank you.

[link]http://youtu.be/C0FoB4HtiF0[/link]
Old 07-18-2013, 08:39 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: FlyEagle J-10 crash

Wow, quite a ride! Good save. i thought you were going to harrier it back around and land for a second. It looks as though you were tail heavy which would make the elevons and canards much more sensitive. The comp arf rookie is the same style of jet but with a twin tail. It uses elevons and has the canards. If you check the manual it will have a good starting setup for you on throws etc. here's the link to the manual. http://www.carf-models.com/public_ca...structions.pdf

I was thinking elevens but said ailevator.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:44 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 223 Likes on 114 Posts

I use the canards on my Eurosport the entire time, they have very little deflection when mixed in with up/ diwn elevator. They are also setup on a dual-rate switch. It looks like you had a wild ride on that maiden, almost like it was severly tail heavy or Alot of canadd deflection, or both.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:47 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

There ya go. The Eurosport is the same configuration. That would be a good place to look. http://www.carf-models.com/public_ca...structions.pdf
Old 07-18-2013, 08:55 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woohoo!

Way to hang in there! Nice save.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:56 AM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

I would set the canards for level flight and not use them to start with. Get the plane set up and trimmed for conventional flight before exploring the realms of 3D. Have one flight mode for conventional flight and then set up a second mode that will mix the canards with elevators and start with small movements of the canards and feel the airplane out Increase throws as you become more comfortable and aware of the planes flying characteristics. You probably need only need small movements of the canards for high alpha if any at all. Larger Canard throws would be good for flips and such. I have no experience with canards on a plane. but soon will have as there is a Comp Arf Euro-sport on my bench nearing completion. What I have suggested is going to be my approach to my own setup.

Get the first 80% going before worrying about the last 20%. It is hard to resist I know but that's generally the safer way to approach things. Too nice a plane to tear up being in a hurry.

Good luck
mike
Old 07-18-2013, 09:16 AM
Eddie Lozano

Hi, I have exact model. First my comments are only reflect my own experience about this particular model.
My first flight is not exactly the same as yours. It was on my third or forth when I experience exactly like yours.
When I make my turn I give it elevator input that's when the model starts to slide and become tail heady.
And goes away very quickly and you start just to make circles next you it's too far away and you get disoriented.
On that scenerion I kept flying the model straight ahead to me , did not panic and that s the worse thing you can do.
Anyway this is what I think happened.
Q. did you have the vector thrust activated
How much canard throw. Mine was very little .
How much elevator throw.
Did you setup like the factory recommended.
Did the the pilot have an experience on this type of model...caused I didn't.

On take off it did looks like tail heavy but the pilot had leveled out for a while then starts to oscillate again
And then the pattern repeats and so on. The final moments is no longer recognized the orientation then the model just stalled.
Again this is just my own experienced. The paint scheme to me is terrible because it blends to the blue sky.
Now a days when I fly my J10 don't fly it to too far. Ken from FEJ is the expert on this jet.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:26 AM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Does FEJ not give you a starting point for CG and throws in the manual? Just curious
Old 07-18-2013, 09:28 AM
warbirdfanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Very nice save! Looks like you had every flight surface going on full swing there! Did you have the canards aswell as the vector nozzle kicking out the movement?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:00 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: zonker123

I would set the canards for level flight and not use them to start with. Get the plane set up and trimmed for conventional flight before exploring the realms of 3D. Have one flight mode for conventional flight and then set up a second mode that will mix the canards with elevators and start with small movements of the canards and feel the airplane out Increase throws as you become more comfortable and aware of the planes flying characteristics. You probably need only need small movements of the canards for high alpha if any at all. Larger Canard throws would be good for flips and such. I have no experience with canards on a plane. but soon will have as there is a Comp Arf Euro-sport on my bench nearing completion. What I have suggested is going to be my approach to my own setup.

Get the first 80% going before worrying about the last 20%. It is hard to resist I know but that's generally the safer way to approach things. Too nice a plane to tear up being in a hurry.

Good luck
mike
This.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:14 AM
rlenty

Thank you for all your words. I didn't receive any manual from FlyEagle. All the setup was made by my own experience. The vector thrust was desactivated. I still remember the smell from my pants after that flight. Eddie, please, would you let me know the throws you are using in yours and also the CG? Thank you
Old 07-18-2013, 10:56 AM
DelGatoGrande

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

...you know that with litle editing you can realy show off with this video lol

.....good flying skills ...respect
Old 07-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Giant_Scale_Gasser
My Feedback: (84)

Airframe $5000...
Turbine $3500...
Radio System $3000...

Buying your videographer a mono-pod = PRICELESS....

I love these videos, I envy these jets... but I always feel motion sick after watching the vids....

Old 07-18-2013, 07:04 PM
rlenty

You are right about the video. But it was made with a cel phone. Sorry about that.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:55 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: Dieselman1220

Does FEJ not give you a starting point for CG and throws in the manual? Just curious
Only if you upgrade to the "Go Fly Package" He must have purchased the " Stare at it on the workbench and wonder why there's no instruction manual package"

Marty
Old 07-19-2013, 03:38 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man that video tells me this Jet can do extreme 3D manueuvers [X(] I really like how you ride that bronco three things CG, throws and canards.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:01 AM
Giant_Scale_Gasser
My Feedback: (84)

ORIGINAL: rlenty

You are right about the video. But it was made with a cel phone. Sorry about that.
Don't be sorry brother. I am sorry for not acknowledging your flying skills while teasing you about the vid. 99.95% of the rest of the r/c world couldn't have hung on to her that long. Amazing skills my friend.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:46 AM
DominicM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I've always been under the impression that this type of problem is caused by excessive throw of the elevons not the canards and possibly not having enough expo (assuming you had the thrust vectoring turned off). Only just started flying my Eurosport but have had several other canard equipped models that had that trait. Good save though.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:43 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

There was definitely a CG problem here, too.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:14 AM
mitchilito
My Feedback: (7)

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Hi,

+1

You can see at one point when the jet is dead level and dropping (and with power at idle) the jet has no tendency to pitch down. WAAAAY tail heavy.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:10 AM
invertmast

Received 223 Likes on 114 Posts

ORIGINAL: DominicM

I've always been under the impression that this type of problem is caused by excessive throw of the elevons not the canards and possibly not having enough expo (assuming you had the thrust vectoring turned off). Only just started flying my Eurosport but have had several other canard equipped models that had that trait. Good save though.
It doesnt matter how much throw you have on the surfaces if there is little to no airflow over them. This video has the plane at a near stand still (forward motion wise) much of the time, its gotta be insanely tail heavy.

Speaking of tail heavy FEJ J-10's, wasnt there a thread a year or two ago of a guy who built and flew on and found out the CG as suggested by FEJ was way to far aft?
Old 07-19-2013, 09:13 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I saw the large Fly Eagle J-10 fly 3D at KY jets and I was very impressed with how it looked. The jet was awesome in the air and landed really slow and stable. I really wanted to get my hands on the sticks but... lol.. Nice job FEJ on that jet.

Andy
Old 07-19-2013, 09:18 AM
Shaun Evans

Ok,

Dialing my Pastor now to ask him if Hell has frozen over....
Old 07-19-2013, 01:46 PM
MP3_tilaco

Hi,

+1
Old 07-19-2013, 08:43 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Ok,

Dialing my Pastor now to ask him if Hell has frozen over....

*spits up drink*

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.