Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Giant Scale Spitfire ARF

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flite Giant Scale Spitfire ARF

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 04:59 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Giant Scale Spitfire ARF

I have to ask. I haven't seen one of these in the flesh yet but looking at pictures the wing dihedral looks a bit flat (way too flat in fact). Is it or is it just me and the pictures?
Old 07-19-2013, 06:37 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Here we go!
Old 07-19-2013, 06:50 AM
ronht
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dihedral on the wing isn't flat, it appears to be very similar to the Top Flite P47 which I also own and fly regularly.
Is it exactaly scale? I don't know and frankly I don't care, it's a model, like the TF P47, that flies really well and looks fantastic both on the ground and in the air which is exactally what I was looking for.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:51 AM
BobH

I really wasn't asking if it was important to any specific person or not. It's just an observation on my part.. here's a drawing of the Spit as it appears in full scale.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53101.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	1902092  
Old 07-19-2013, 08:05 AM
ronht

Hi Bob,

The model might be a degree or so less, but it looks pretty close to that from what I can tell. 

Ron

Old 07-19-2013, 08:59 AM
BobH

Ron, thank you
Old 07-19-2013, 09:53 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Your eyes are not deceiving you Bob. The Spitfire does not have scale dihedral nor do the TF Mustang, P-47, or FW-190. The P-40 looks better to my eye but it may or may not be correct either.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:58 AM
BobH

chad thank you.. I thought it looked different some how..not that I'm surprised. Makes these planes fly a little differently. More like a sport plane etc..
Old 07-19-2013, 11:15 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Capt G

Great flight report - thanks. Will probably do the same on the nose weight . Looking forward to flying mine when I get my pilot. BTW - I put small wing tip skids on the wing like on my P-40. I know I will need them sooner or later.
If you fly on a paved runway they will come in handy
Old 07-25-2013, 02:47 PM
ronht

I've had my Spitfire out the last two days for a total of about 16 flights.  All the after build tweaking is now done and it's a solid flyer that I am really enjoying!

Old 07-31-2013, 02:21 PM
twin3d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently picked one of these up myself and I am making it look like this one.

http://markonepartners.co.uk/spitfire-i

I bought the book so I could get all the details and painted the bottom to match along with the spinner. Plane is basically done just waiting on the graphics to be completed.

Should be cool!
Old 08-01-2013, 02:09 PM
ronht

You will love it.  I had mine out again today for a couple of flights even though the wind was 16 to 20.  The Spit handled it with ease, I can't say enough about how much I'm enjoying this aircraft!

Old 08-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

ronht,

How is the narrow wheel track on your takeoffs? I'd have to say my P-47's have spoiled me! Does it seem to hold a straight line on it's own or are you correcting a lot?

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:54 PM
ronht

ORIGINAL: Lifer

ronht,

How is the narrow wheel track on your takeoffs? I'd have to say my P-47's have spoiled me! Does it seem to hold a straight line on it's own or are you correcting a lot?

Thanks.
Lifer,

Tracking isn't a problem at all, just slowly advance the throttle to let it accellerate and you'll find it takes very little rudder input at all. Start with a little elevator back pressure to keep the nose from going over too far and you'll be airborne at about 2/3's throttle.

Additionally, tracking isn't any problem on landing either as long as you don't try and turn it when it's moving too fast. I've found making wheel landings with a bit of forward pressure once the mains touch works the best. The rudder remains very effective until the tail drops and then you'll have to be a bit quicker with it to counter any tendency for the tail to start roaming. Don't read too much into that, it's really very controlable for the narrow stance gear. I also have a Top Flite P-47 and have been spoiled by it's wide track, but flying the Spit hasn't been a problem at all.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:11 PM
ronht

Just wanted to add a couple of small items that I had to address after I started flying my Spit.
I have a side exhaust with the J-Tec wrap around muffler, and found that the muffler bolts kept coming loose no matter what I did. I had to add a couple of access holes so I could get to the muffler bolts without removing the cowl and the best solution to that problem has been to wrap the muffler bolts with teflon "pipe" tape and tighten them after a few flights. They now stay completely secure.
Additionally, the magnets on the bottom of the antenna mast came out of the bottom of the antenna. (didn't lose them as they were still stuck to the mount magnets) I didn't notice this until I was packing up after flying on the first day - solution here is to make sure you have the polarity correct and CA them back into the antenna mast.
Last issue was when I screwed the tail-wheel cover on, one of the screws I used bound on the tailwheel steering arm when the airplane was sitting on the ground - solution, clip the screw to make it shorter and re-install.
That's pretty much all I've had to address in about 18 flights now.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:10 PM
twin3d

Picture of mine finished, done up like P9374.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1905632  
Old 08-06-2013, 03:15 PM
twin3d

Views:	618
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1905634   Click image for larger version

Views:	597
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1905635   Click image for larger version

Views:	645
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1905639   Click image for larger version

Views:	643
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1905640  
Old 08-07-2013, 06:49 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

The problem with the lack of dihedral, especially with the Spitfire is that it almost makes the wing look droopy. The Spitfire's top surface tapers down more than the bottom tapers up and looks like the top surface has a bow in it. Combine that with a reduced chord center line dihedral, and it looks like the wings are melting in the heat!
Old 08-07-2013, 07:31 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffH
The problem with the lack of dihedral, especially with the Spitfire is that it almost makes the wing look droopy. The Spitfire's top surface tapers down more than the bottom tapers up and looks like the top surface has a bow in it. Combine that with a reduced chord center line dihedral, and it looks like the wings are melting in the heat!
I'm glad you said it Jeff. Now I don't have to and you're the one who will be getting the "If you want it perfect build it yourself" replies shoved down your throat! Thanks for taking some of the heat!
Old 08-07-2013, 11:22 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Chad, I can take the heat lol. What I really do not understand is that for stuff like dihedral it does not cost one penny more to make the dihedral accurate. One little thing like that makes such a big difference in the looks of the plane.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:51 PM
ronht

There is a real easy solution to this guys - If you don't like it don't buy it - problem solved.

For those that won't have problems losing sleep over a degree or two of dihedral, I highly recommend this Spitfire. It's a well laid-out, easy to build kit that presents really well in the air and flies great!
Old 08-07-2013, 01:14 PM
BobH

I think the answer has little to do with cost and more to do with sport design. It's someone's opinion that the plane would fly better with the wings as they are. Really? Maybe with the combination of airfoil that's used it may. I really like the a spit but I wished this one would look gooder too.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:43 PM
ronht

This is the same story for the armchair critics in thread after thread in these forums to the point of ad nauseum. The dihedral's not right, the shape of the tail's not right, the canopy's not right the angle of the gear's not right, the color scheme's not right, they didn't choose to make the right model and so on and on it goes in thread after thread.

Not everything that's "scale" transfers into a good flying model aircraft that a majority of customers would be happy with and one which is worth the time for a company, in the business of trying to stay in business to spend their R&D resources to produce. While more dihedral would certainly satisfy the "scale critics" it would bring with it many of the nasty flight characteristics that would drive many customers away. You don't like it? Don't buy it.

This is a hobby where some of us fly, enjoy the hobby and support the companies producing products we can enjoy, while the rest sit around and criticize every little thing while looking for excuses why they don't fly. I get it, every club has them - what they don't get, is that the ONLY people they are impressing with their constant criticism are themselves.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

+1
Old 08-07-2013, 05:13 PM
BobH

OK ladies take a deep breath and lets gather ourselves together. People can and do express their opinions about nearly everything. No one says they have to agree or disagree with said opinions. What's the point of a public forum of all we read are like minded opinions? What's to be learned from that? True there are bashers that just enjoy bashing. Personally I don't see that a lot on RCU. I do see differences of what people feel is important to them as flyers and modelers. Considering that manufacturers do read these threads the sales of a particular plane and its over all impressions some times go hand In hand. So it can be a useful tool for them as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.