Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Heng Long bb gasket issue

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Heng Long bb gasket issue

Old 07-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Arctic Cat ZRT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heng Long bb gasket issue

Hello Everyone!

I have finally made the dive into the RC tank hobby. I have previously only worked with boats and a clodbuster for a short bit of time. I'll get right into it though, on Friday I purchased a metal upgrade version of the Heng Long King Tiger S&S edition. The tank runs pretty well, but will need some track tensioners to take up some slack.

My big issue with the tank is that the airsoft system is not really working. The first time I tried to fire it, it jammed. I had to take the whole tank apart to pull the bbs out. Then after this, it would fire, after trial and error i found that the bucking was in the way of the bbs getting into the firing chamber, so I trimmed it down. It still wasn't working, I finally figured out that the bucking/gasket is being scrunched up where it comes in contact with the aluminum barrel. I have successfully fabricated a retainer for the bottom of the bucking to prevent this from happening. It works pretty well but now the top part of the bucking is now scrunched up. It has dawned on me that maybe I should try some type of adhesive, but what should I use? I want to be able to remove the gasket in the future without too much effort to replace it with a none modified spare in the near future. Any suggestions, also if anyone has any better ideas, I am open to advice!

Best Regards,
Cat.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:22 PM
Captain Nemo12

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Heng Long bb gasket issue

If all HL tanks use the same BB gun, (can someone else confirm this?) then you might have a defective unit. Replacement units are cheap and easy to get. The BB gun in my Panzer III shoots without any problems.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Arctic Cat ZRT

I may have to look into a new unit, but it seems to run just fine. It may be that the bb gun is allowing the plunger to extend too far, pushing the gasket into the barrel and blocking the bb's. Thanks for the suggestion!

For now I tried using modeling cement to hold the gasket into place. I have sprayed on some silicone and have put the tank back together, I will have to wait for tomorrow to see if my rigging job has worked. 
Old 07-15-2013, 03:10 AM
DirtyBird69

Id also strongly recommend using quality bb's and not the garbage they gave you with the tank.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:54 AM
Captain Nemo12

Also never re-use BBs that are fired and left on the ground, as these can collect dust an dirt particles that can damage your gun.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:25 AM
Martellus

Vouching for dirty bird again. The bb's that come with almots any airsoft gun are worth throwing away.

You might look into a VStank airsoft gun, I heard those were supposed to be much better.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:20 AM
Arctic Cat ZRT

I have about 4000 precision bb's that I used with my airsoft guns, I know that dangers of those cheaply made bb's. I have also seen a lot of talk about the vs gun systems. The only issue is that the king tiger's barrel is fully aluminum and one piece, meaning there is no outer barrel and inner barrel. I could probably make it work with a lot of time and effort, but that is down the road a ways. Tonight after work I will see if my fix worked and how long it will last too.

Thanks for the help guys!
I'll keep you updated.
[8D]
Old 07-15-2013, 09:25 AM
Jussek

ORIGINAL: Martellus

Vouching for dirty bird again. The bb's that come with almots any airsoft gun are worth throwing away.
You might look into a VStank airsoft gun, I heard those were supposed to be much better.
you are right ;-)

i did swap airsoft gears on my Tiger long ago, but you have to do a bit of work:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10576835

best regards

Old 07-15-2013, 10:11 AM
Perry S.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's some VS airsoft stuff I have compiled if you are interested.

Perry

Old 07-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Arctic Cat ZRT

Good information on the VS stuff, definitely a step I may take in the future!
Update!
It seems that me gluing the gasket to the barrel has worked, I also imagine the healthy dose of spray silicon helped too! Thing seems to be shooting fine now, wonder how long the fix will last though!
I also fixed the track jumping issue it had in the back right main idler wheel, seemed the track was hopping the grove allowing the track to move out. So I went ahead and took an angle grinder and put a nice round edge on the idler wheel allowing the track to slide into the grove.
Now that I have seemed to fix the running issues of this tank, time for some detailing and numbering!

Edit:
Does anyone have any good sources on the 503rd heavy panzer battalion? From what I understand they were very successful and operated tiger 1s and king tigers. I want to give this tank a number that was actually used and correct for the 503rd battalion!

Best Regards,
Cat
Old 07-15-2013, 05:30 PM
Buckeye36
My Feedback: (3)

Tigers im focus is a good reference site for Tigers, has a section dedicated to each unit.
I tried to give you a direct link to the 503 section, but the site was requirning a logon...that's a first for me.
Here's a link to the Home page, maybe it was a fluke:
http://www.tiif.de/
Old 07-15-2013, 05:34 PM
Buckeye36

RCTank.de also has some stencil sets for 503rd Tigers:
http://www.rctank.de/product_info.ph...oducts_id=1371
http://www.rctank.de/product_info.ph...oducts_id=1374
http://www.rctank.de/product_info.ph...oducts_id=1375
http://www.rctank.de/product_info.ph...oducts_id=1376
and the set I used:
http://www.rctank.de/product_info.ph...oducts_id=1373
Old 07-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Arctic Cat ZRT

I have to sign up to get on the site, so I fill out the registration and I will see if they let me in! 
Old 07-15-2013, 06:04 PM
Buckeye36

I never had to register before, but it is well worth it.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:40 PM
thecommander

Welcome to RC tanks Cat man....I am a Skidoo man myself, but I still have one Artic Cat 2-up in the trailer. It is a great runner and only has 1,200 mi. on it. I may swap it out soon if my youngest daughter drives better this coming winter. We love the winter: ski, ATV, ice-fish, anything outside, my family loves it. Old forge had the best snow, AGAIN. Where do you ride? I love the snow....we RC tank battle in it in NJ too. Come on by. We gather RC tankers from 3 to 4 states, regularly. Don't worry if you do not have a IR battle tank yet. You can battle with one of mine.

Back to tanks...LOL. HL KT is the cheapest KT you can get and it has nice details. Best KT bang for your buck. Good luck with it. I see the guys have been assisting you already. Great group of gentleman here.... not only world wide but and especially in the northeast US. Post us some pix of the other RCs and the KT too. Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95064.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1901953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39190.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	1901954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56985.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1901955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96193.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	1901956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53105.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	1901957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87496.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1901958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43279.jpg
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	1901959   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73307.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1901960  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70582.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1901961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68562.jpg
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	1901962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33668.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	1901963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78748.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	1901964  
Old 07-19-2013, 08:13 AM
Arctic Cat ZRT

Thanks for the warm welcome Bob, glad to have found a group of like minded people here at RCU! 

The sled I ride is a 97 Arctic Cat ZRT 600cc triple. My Dad, Mom, and I used to sled up on either Tug Hill (stayed at The Edge) or our favorite riding was at Old Forge and their trail system. About 3-4 years ago we pretty much decided we were done sledding in the winter for awhile. I was starting college and time to go up was getting harder. The 6-7 hour drive to sled was getting a bit old as well, we repurposed the sleds lol. 

My Dad and I are also big drag racers at tracks like Maple Grove, Cecil County, and Atco raceways. Along with our race car we race our sleds on asphalt now. It took about 700 bucks to get the necessary parts to drag race them. It is really a rush and we definitely get a lot of gawks and questions when we race them. 

In terms of the clubs, I was actually going to start to look to see if there were any in the immediate area. Looks like I do not have to look any longer! I would love to participate in the club Bob. The only thing is that I would need at least a months notice on events so that I would take off of work on event days!

Here is a pic of my sled, the clod buster, and of course the new KT

Old 07-19-2013, 11:11 AM
Perry S.

Let's see the race car!

Perry
Old 07-19-2013, 08:05 PM
Arctic Cat ZRT

ORIGINAL: Perry S.

Let's see the race car!

Perry
Runs mid 12s, built as a bracket car recently, originally built as a power tour car. Small block chevy and a turbo 350 trans, tubbed with 18 inch wide tires.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:20 PM
Perry S.

Sweet. but, ughhh. I'm still stuck in the 13's.This is my Challenger and a buddies RR. I run it at Lebanon Valley in NY. Nice Tiger too. Now get to trickin that thing out.

Perry

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43399.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	1902281