Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Things you'd like to see on the market....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Things you'd like to see on the market....

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 12:55 PM
flatpickhippster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Things you'd like to see on the market....

As long as you're laughing and not taking my hind end shennagins as an insult.....I like all your market wants and thought only thing better than getting them would be the QVC price.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:02 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's about 50/50. I do realize that about 90% of what's on my list would end up in expensive models, though. Just for sake of example, Stinger 609s are $5,409 for a base N/A model and nearly $9,000 for a kitted out supercharged one. Even factoring in mass production a V8 of that size alone would cost on the neighborhood of $1500, on top of the cost of the engineering to stuff it into a mass produced 1/5th RC.

But they would be sweeeeeeeet. I'd buy one anyway. Hehe.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:12 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: 378

Whoo boy. Ok. I got this.

1: More engine powered models. Yes, I know, brushless is faster. But I couldn't give a flying monkey's left nut about that! I want excitement. I get more excitement from an idling glow engine than I ever will a brushless at full chat. Electrics don't have any soul or passion in 'em, they're cold clinical performance to an extreme that's nearly unuseable. I want more engines.

2: More variety. I'm quite annoyed at how there's two or three classes that everyone builds models for. You want a ground RC that isn't a crawler, drifter or S/C truck? Well screw you buddy you're driving a 10+ year old design! You want an airplane that isn't 3D, super scale or a quadcopter? Well screw you too that's what everyone's flying. Where's the variety? Where's the big live axle nitro monster truck? Where's the semi-scale P51 ARF that looks good enough yet isn't so scale you're afraid to fly it to the absolute limit every time? Where's the rally cars? Where's the snowcats? Kyosho's had a monopoly on those things for going on 20 years now.

3: Multi-cylinder engines in larger stuff. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that 31cc weed whacker motor is cheaper than a Conley Stinger 609. But I don't care! If I want a cheap RC car I'll buy a tenth or eighth scaler. I want an honest to god V8 in a 1/5th or 1/4th scale RC! I want to be able to buy an off-the-shelf Baja 5SC that makes these sorts of noises right out of the box. Or these noises, they're perfectly acceptable as well. AFter all, the real thing definitely doesn't sound like my string trimmer...

Same goes for aircraft. If I'm flying an aicraft that accepts an engine larger than 15ccs or so I want some more multi-cylinder options. No, I don't care about the OS GT55 or DLE120. I want more radials. I want V12s. I want more I4s. Come on, guys. There's more to internal combustion than single and twin opposed two cycles!

4: Some nice helos. I will periodically pour through the helicopters on Tower's listing, as well as the ones Horizon offers. The only helis that look nice that I can find are the small indoor ones. All the nice outdoor ones large enough to have engines are boring 3D/4D helicopters that all look the bloody same. Where's the Airwolf replicas? Hueys? M*A*S*H medivac replicas? News choppers? Skycranes? Come on guys we shouldn't have to scratchbuild everything ourselves.

5: Engine powered crawlers. Again, yes, I know that electric is technically better, and again I couldn't care less. Here's video proof internal combustion can get the job done just fine. So where are they, RC industry?

6: Why are my only two options for a nitro, live axle monster truck a Kyosho Mad Force or an HPI Nitro Wheely King?

7: Engines + watercraft = fun! Yet everything here is brushless. Why?

8: Can we get some hovercrafts at all? I'll settle for an electric one even!

9: Can we get some hobby-grade RCs that are designed around the idea of screwing around? I get that racing is fun to a lot of modellers, but it isn't to all of us and it isn't at all times. I'm a basher through and through, I'll never race, yet I'm forced to adapt race cars to my needs. There's good money in making cars specifically for what I'm doing yet nobody ever does!

10: Multi-speed gearboxes are great. They've been perfected in cars. Yet here we are still using archaic spring-loaded fingers to bang the next gear in. Why are we not using planetary style transmissions? They'll be lighter, tougher, more reliable, and they'd make reverse a standard feature on pretty much every RC that has an engine in it, rather than a nice little perk you get with a handful of monster trucks.

11: Can we have four wheel disc brakes soon?

12: Fuel injection?

13: Four strokes in cars?

14: What about overhead cams, OS? Japan is god-tier at building OHC engines, yet you guys haven't even tried it. What's keeping you back?
I was like phef when you said gas powered crawler....but that video shows its pretty close to do-able. If they just geared that sucker down a bit more then the low speed control would be on par with a brushed setup. Not to shabby.

I fully agree on the hover craft! Not a foamy that only goes on super smooth pavement....but a full bagged ride that can go on many surfaces and also water. We have the brushless tech to provide the power.

I swear, If the companies don't think they can sell a few million of a model and make 50% on each one then they don't even bother. What happened to the passion? Sure, the companies cant go and put out a bunch of models that will sell in low volumes and cost them a lot to produce....but if each of the major companies would go out on a limb with just 1 model....then we would end up seeing several new and exciting models!
Old 07-19-2013, 02:41 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

I fully agree on the hover craft! Not a foamy that only goes on super smooth pavement....but a full bagged ride that can go on many surfaces and also water. We have the brushless tech to provide the power.
http://www.raidentech.com/rchovercrafts.html tempting to get one, and slap in some BL motors to see what would happen
If I had more disposable income I would definitely try it for fun
http://www.hovercraftmodels.com/buil...hovercraft.htm then there are these which look really pricey
Old 07-19-2013, 02:52 PM

I was like phef when you said gas powered crawler....but that video shows its pretty close to do-able. If they just geared that sucker down a bit more then the low speed control would be on par with a brushed setup. Not to shabby.
Yeah, it's a shame the companies and the competitive guys go phef at it as well. That's why we don't have any. I bet ya if we mind controlled the competitive crawlers to all suddenly crave a four cycle glow engine in their cars Axial and co would have them on the market by Christmas.

I think a lot of why that one works is because it's using a four cycle engine, though. Those are known for far better throttle response and low-end torque equal to a 2-cycle twice the displacement, attributes that are ideal for a crawler.

I swear, If the companies don't think they can sell a few million of a model and make 50% on each one then they don't even bother. What happened to the passion? Sure, the companies cant go and put out a bunch of models that will sell in low volumes and cost them a lot to produce....but if each of the major companies would go out on a limb with just 1 model....then we would end up seeing several new and exciting models!
Mhm. They just play it safe and make whatever the most popular racing classes are at the time. That's why the only new models coming out right now are drift cars, short course trucks and crawlers. Even the established genres are taking a massive back seat...you want a new gas tourer from AE you're buying a car they first built over a decade ago. You want a new monster truck from anyone you're buying a 7-10 year old design. Annoying as it is it's no surprise they aren't pushing any envelopes.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:21 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

http://www.raidentech.com/rchovercrafts.html tempting to get one, and slap in some BL motors to see what would happen
http://www.hovercraftmodels.com/buil...hovercraft.htm then there are these which look really pricey
that hover kit is the perfect example. If someone would mass produce a RTR version of that....it could be in the $300 range. Pricey yes, but not out of reach. But it would be truly capable.
Ive seen many custom built models on youtube that worked on water and such. All the tech, materials are available....the companies just have to decide to make them.

Granted, the companies do have to be careful. Those artatack snowmobiles are a good example. They look awesome and they will ride on snow....but they are pricey and based on what I have seen....don't have the performance needed. The track's tread is not tall enough...too scale. So they can get stuck kinda easy.

I totally agree with the fact that solid axle monster trucks are lacking. There is the kyosho, HPI and redcat ground pounder. Cant think of another tho. Of those three, the hpi is the only decent one...and even it needs work/upgrades (please hpi, ditch the lame steering setup!)

So, we got:
RTR hovercrafts...
4 stroke crawlers....or 4 stroke motors we can install in our nitro trucks even!
And Id like to see a amphibious vehicle. I got my boy a toy from radio shack that goes decent on land...will float and its tires sorta move it threw the water (tho very slowly) Give me a RTR 4wd truck that has a outdrive or something to move it 5-8mph in the water. That would be pretty cool.

Oh, and along with hovercrafts....a fan boat. There is that swamp boat but it is painfully slow. Looks more like a toy grade model. These should be very easy to produce...even if they are built bigger (say 2'x1') and shouldn't cost too much. Id bet even a 380 finned out motor could be enough. slap a 540 and it would likely move well on land as well. Id prefer a ABS haul...not a fan of balsa.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:39 PM

Oh, and along with hovercrafts....a fan boat. There is that swamp boat but it is painfully slow. Looks more like a toy grade model. These should be very easy to produce...even if they are built bigger (say 2'x1') and shouldn't cost too much. Id bet even a 380 finned out motor could be enough. slap a 540 and it would likely move well on land as well. Id prefer a ABS haul...not a fan of balsa.

Meh. Getting a speed boost in that airboat is as simple as dropping in a better engine and prop combo. It uses bog standard aircraft engines of the 0.20-0.40 size range, which means an OS 46AX will drop right in. Couple that with a 10x6 or 10x9 3-blade prop and you're setting yourself up for quite a rocket.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd like to see 60's style Grand Prix cars in nitro:

Imagine them racing in 1/5th scale gas:

Old 07-19-2013, 03:47 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Meh. Getting a speed boost in that airboat is as simple as dropping in a better engine and prop combo. It uses bog standard aircraft engines of the 0.20-0.40 size range, which means an OS 46AX will drop right in. Couple that with a 10x6 or 10x9 3-blade prop and you're setting yourself up for quite a rocket.
the one I was speaking of was the aquacraft swamp boat...has a little 280 or 380 brushed motor. The little boat really moves with a brushless setup...but as with many boats when you drop more power than it was designed to handle it doesn't work well. handling gets thrown way off.

I have a atomic barbwire. that little boat really moves. it has a hard time staying in the water!
Old 07-19-2013, 03:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Argess

I'd like to see 60's style Grand Prix cars in nitro:

Imagine them racing in 1/5th scale gas:

1/10th scale? Nitro. 1/5th scale? Proper scale DFV V8s. That happens and my wallet will take out a restraining order on me I'll empty it so fast

I'd also buy a 1/18th or 1/24th scale indoor version. EP obviously, at that size anyway.

the one I was speaking of was the aquacraft swamp boat...has a little 280 or 380 brushed motor. The little boat really moves with a brushless setup...but as with many boats when you drop more power than it was designed to handle it doesn't work well. handling gets thrown way off.

IT's got a bigger, glow powered cousin.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:07 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

2: More variety. I'm quite annoyed at how there's two or three classes that everyone builds models for. You want a ground RC that isn't a crawler, drifter or S/C truck? Well screw you buddy you're driving a 10+ year old design! You want an airplane that isn't 3D, super scale or a quadcopter? Well screw you too that's what everyone's flying. Where's the variety? Where's the big live axle nitro monster truck? Where's the semi-scale P51 ARF that looks good enough yet isn't so scale you're afraid to fly it to the absolute limit every time? Where's the rally cars? Where's the snowcats? Kyosho's had a monopoly on those things for going on 20 years now.
there's more variety now than ever.
back in the 90's 1/10 scale off road had like 4 options. 2wd buggy, 4wd buggy, stadium truck, and monster trucks that were more car crusher style, don't even try to clear the tripple with one.
1/10 on road was... well about what it is right now, only pan cars were popular.
1/8 scale had buggy's, a few monster trucks, and a few dedicated on road racers.
1/12 scale was about as small as they got and that was pan cars only from what i can remember.

6: Why are my only two options for a nitro, live axle monster truck a Kyosho Mad Force or an HPI Nitro Wheely King?
not sure HPI is still making the nitro wheely king.
why ar they not sold. simply put, there's not enough of a market.
im not anti the idea though. i just don't like nitro engines. 4 stroke and we might have something

7: Engines + watercraft = fun! Yet everything here is brushless. Why?
there are nitro boats. it seems to be a small segment, but they do exist!
and in larger sized boats gas engines!

9: Can we get some hobby-grade RCs that are designed around the idea of screwing around? I get that racing is fun to a lot of modellers, but it isn't to all of us and it isn't at all times. I'm a basher through and through, I'll never race, yet I'm forced to adapt race cars to my needs. There's good money in making cars specifically for what I'm doing yet nobody ever does!
most of the market is designed around screwing around. traxxas, duratrax, truck loads of tamiya's, most of HPI's line up, AE has launched several, ECX, arrma, all the mini's and micro's, etc. hell 90% of the market is based around driving fast, jumping high, and crashing hard.
the only thing lacking in the screwing around for fun market is kit options.

kyoso tried that back in the late 90's. 4 stroke engine in a TC. performance was lacking, cost was hight and because of that it wasn't successful.
sucks to, i like the idea. tuning an RC would be more like tuning an actual car.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:12 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

I don't think 4 strokes in 1/10 cars are do-able. sure, a rock crawler maybe....where speed is not important.

But IMO there are not enough 1/8 and certainly not enough 1/5 scale onroad options. And either of those sized cars it should be possible to have a 4 stroke motor. Just supercharge the sucker[>:]
Old 07-19-2013, 04:48 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

that hover kit is the perfect example. If someone would mass produce a RTR version of that....it could be in the $300 range. Pricey yes, but not out of reach. But it would be truly capable.
Ive seen many custom built models on youtube that worked on water and such. All the tech, materials are available....the companies just have to decide to make them.

Granted, the companies do have to be careful. Those artatack snowmobiles are a good example. They look awesome and they will ride on snow....but they are pricey and based on what I have seen....don't have the performance needed. The track's tread is not tall enough...too scale. So they can get stuck kinda easy.

I totally agree with the fact that solid axle monster trucks are lacking. There is the kyosho, HPI and redcat ground pounder. Cant think of another tho. Of those three, the hpi is the only decent one...and even it needs work/upgrades (please hpi, ditch the lame steering setup!)

So, we got:
RTR hovercrafts...
4 stroke crawlers....or 4 stroke motors we can install in our nitro trucks even!
And Id like to see a amphibious vehicle. I got my boy a toy from radio shack that goes decent on land...will float and its tires sorta move it threw the water (tho very slowly) Give me a RTR 4wd truck that has a outdrive or something to move it 5-8mph in the water. That would be pretty cool.

the aquacraft one? the nitro one is about 2.5 feet long

Will agree with amphibious, but there are problems making those which are the same as real cars keeping the car look while having decent water dynamics.
Easiest way I could see is use a solid axle like off the WK, and make it RWD only having the motor mounted in the front with some kinda swivel CVD coming out so you can have a suspension still, and be able to make a box packed with grease to keep the water out of the hull. as for the power for a prop there in lies the main issue either it would need a 2nd motor controlled via a 3rd channel relay to swap motor control over, or have a prop rigged to the rear axle. other issues come with steering making something waterproof that will let the front tires turn.
And before someone mentions things where ppl turn cameros into amphibious cars you can solve a lot of the issues way easier on a full sized car as you can always have a sump pump to draw water out if there is a slight leak due to the extra space.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:55 PM

ORIGINAL: suburban_hooligan

kyoso tried that back in the late 90's. 4 stroke engine in a TC. performance was lacking, cost was hight and because of that it wasn't successful.
sucks to, i like the idea. tuning an RC would be more like tuning an actual car.
Engine technology has gone so far since the late 90s that your statement here doesn't really mean anything anymore. 4-stroke glow engines of the 90s were rather weak, but nowadays they rival two strokes. I see no reason they couldn't work in a car today.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:41 PM
suburban_hooligan

Engine technology has gone so far since the late 90s that your statement here doesn't really mean anything anymore. 4-stroke glow engines of the 90s were rather weak, but nowadays they rival two strokes. I see no reason they couldn't work in a car today.
i still doubt the performance is as good as a 2 stroke. they haven't been refined well enough yet. nobody's bothered to seriously put in the R&D. at least in cars.
and hobbyists today are retarded, if it's not 6s and doing standing start backflips then it doesn't have enough power.
basically what it's going to take is for a major manufacture to make one that's as reliable and easy to use as a 1/5 scale gas car but with more performance than the current 2 stroke nitro's. until that happens they are never going to get off the ground.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:53 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

I have a atomic barbwire. that little boat really moves. it has a hard time staying in the water!
ahh yea the mini that costs like $90
The nitro one is almost double its size from what I seen, and costs $300.
Due to physics I can see any air boats would have issues with brushless though.
Wish I had a boat, but there's no ponds nearby not overgrown with weeds. Well there is lake Michigan but I'd worry with one wave it would capsize, and I'd never see it again.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:56 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

i still doubt the performance is as good as a 2 stroke. they haven't been refined well enough yet. nobody's bothered to seriously put in the R&D. at least in cars.
and hobbyists today are retarded, if it's not 6s and doing standing start backflips then it doesn't have enough power.
basically what it's going to take is for a major manufacture to make one that's as reliable and easy to use as a 1/5 scale gas car but with more performance than the current 2 stroke nitro's. until that happens they are never going to get off the ground.
I do like speed....but I can give it up for a large, scale looking rc. And the current 2 stroke gas cars are in the 35-45mph range (faster with more expensive motors)
I don't mind a 2 stroke in a 1/5 onroad really. Its just a 4 stroke would be quieter and more realistic in sound. But (and ive complained about this before) there are just not many 1/5 onroad cars on the market. And the ones that are be in th e$1000 range. Show me a $500 RTR 1/5 onroad please.

Anyway, this thread shows that the companies could do better, and could certainly make some money on different things if they were just willing to do the R&D and take a chance.

Traxxas has to be the poster child for not taking risks. Name a resent model they came out with the either showed it had a lot of R&D or was like nothing else on the market? Im not a traxxas hater, they make good stuff. But of all the companies....they probly have the cash flow to R&D some wild stuff. They could afford to branch out into the 1/5 market....or make a good snowmobile...hovercraft...swamp boat....amphibious craft...ect. Whatever they could come up will would likely sell decent just cause of their name.

I just feel like the companies are now detached from us (the ones enjoying the hobby)
Old 07-19-2013, 07:51 PM
suburban_hooligan

I do like speed....but I can give it up for a large, scale looking rc. And the current 2 stroke gas cars are in the 35-45mph range (faster with more expensive motors)
I don't mind a 2 stroke in a 1/5 onroad really. Its just a 4 stroke would be quieter and more realistic in sound. But (and ive complained about this before) there are just not many 1/5 onroad cars on the market. And the ones that are be in th e$1000 range. Show me a $500 RTR 1/5 onroad please.
not going to happen. id find it hard to get an 1/8 scale running for that price. i was pricing out an 1/8 buggy a while back, when i factored in batteries i was up into the $700+ range.
there is no way in hell a 1/5 scale (worth owning) will ever cost that much.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:18 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

not going to happen. id find it hard to get an 1/8 scale running for that price. i was pricing out an 1/8 buggy a while back, when i factored in batteries i was up into the $700+ range.
there is no way in hell a 1/5 scale (worth owning) will ever cost that much.

I don't see why not. the redcat 1/5's are $500-$600...as are the rovan offroad hpi clones. In my mind, an onroad should be easier as it will not be put threw the abuse on offroad buggy or truck has to take.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:14 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Years ago when I was in Germany there was a hovercraft. But due to it's poor handling, didn't sell.
I had an FG 1:5 BMW,was lots of fun.

Also I had a 60 size Airwolf with retracts, Graupner/Heim stopped making them years ago.
Vario in Germany sells them, they are high quality and price...

Century heli has body kits for all sizes, I am building a 50 size Jet Ranger
Old 07-20-2013, 04:24 AM
Chickengeorge
My Feedback: (1)

A rotating atom like sphere that defies gravity and is torque less and can move in any direction instantaneously
Old 07-20-2013, 11:31 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An RCU without add banners!!!!!
Old 07-20-2013, 11:07 PM
robwiljas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuel injection for nitro.

Torque converters instead of centrifugal clutches

Smaller gasoline engine for 1/8th scale, like the one HPI is supposed to have.

A 1/8 Gasser MT with reverse.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:31 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

How about a few more kits from each of the major manufacturers? And not just the high end race spec kits. Some for those of us that like to build and tinker but not race.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:29 PM
suburban_hooligan

ORIGINAL: kistner

How about a few more kits from each of the major manufacturers? And not just the high end race spec kits. Some for those of us that like to build and tinker but not race.
iv been *****ing about that for over a decade now. so far it's fallen on deaf ears.
kits like that used to exist. the manufactures that made them have stopped making them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.