Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

I made a mistake! PLEASE READ!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

I made a mistake! PLEASE READ!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 04:57 PM
IronZ
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I made a mistake! PLEASE READ!

I recently put my Hitec Aurora 9 up for sale in the marketplace. A RCU member by the name of thatairplaneguy made an offer and I accepted. He stated that the money order shipped on Monday but as of last night (Thursday), I had not received it. As he is only a couple of hours away and made the request that I ship the radio before I received payment, I chalked him up as a scammer. THIS IS NOT THE CASE!!! Thatairplaneguy is an honest and up-front member and I want to apologize for calling him out as otherwise. I received the MO today and am shipping the Tx tomorrow. Again, he was legit and I made a mistake!

Thanks!
Z
Old 07-19-2013, 05:08 PM
Rob2160

Default RE: I made a mistake! PLEASE READ!

We all make mistakes sometimes..

Good for you for correcting it... +1
Old 07-19-2013, 05:56 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Perfect example of how people like to use this site as a hammer.

Personally I hate reading posts where people think that by calling a company or other member out it will have a positive outcome after a short period of time.
Just a word on how I view these type of actions. If I were the one getting hammered, why would I give the person what they ask for just because they act badly. The rule in my house with my children and even my wife is "beggers and whiners get nothin!" Bad behavior yields bad results.

This is merely my own opinion. I hope the poor guy who's name you besmirched gets over it. Besmircher!
Old 07-19-2013, 06:10 PM
IronZ
My Feedback: (3)

I didn't 'hammer' him by any means. I simply stated (in my re-activated listing) that he was apparently a scammer. What would you think when someone asks you to ship an item before you ever see any payment for it and the payment doesn't mail until two days after they said they sent it? I do like the "Besmircher" title though! That actually made me laugh! Again, he's a good guy and nobody should think otherwise.

Z
Old 07-19-2013, 06:24 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Glad you understood my thoughts and appreciate the title.

Stuff happens and we can't always make things work like we want. Better to just let someone be odd without letting every one else know about it.

A good friend of mine has an interesting view, "It is most likely easier to talk about someone than to be them".

There is a children's book about a boy watching a very well respected person do something that looks wrong and tells everyone in town the man is a thief. Once the boy realizes he didn't have the full story he tells the man he is very sorry and realizes he was wrong.
The man was very understanding from my point of view and gives a very memorable example the boy never forgets. He asks the boy to meet him at the top of a very windy hill with a feather pillow. Once at the top of the hill, he tells the boy to open the pillow and dump all the feathers out. Obviously the wind carries the feathers everywhere and all over. He then asks the boy to put all the feathers back in the pillow. Since many of the feathers have been carried away, the boy says "It's impossible, they are all scattered". The understanding man uses the situation as an illustration...Your words about my name are just like the feathers.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:44 PM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: vicman

Personally I hate reading posts where people think that by calling a company or other member out it will have a positive outcome after a short period of time.
Just a word on how I view these type of actions. If I were the one getting hammered, why would I give the person what they ask for just because they act badly. The rule in my house with my children and even my wife is "beggers and whiners get nothin!" Bad behavior yields bad results.

This is merely my own opinion. I hope the poor guy who's name you besmirched gets over it. Besmircher!
Geez mate.. give the guy a break...

He made an honest mistake.. given the circumstances I might have drawn the same conclusion..

The most important thing is that IronZ was decent enough, and humble enough to make amends by publicly apologising.

Not rewarding bad behaviour is a good strategy..

Hammering someone after they apologised for a mistake? What is that?

Calling him names makes you guilty of exactly what you accused him of..

Old 07-20-2013, 04:09 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: IronZ

I didn't 'hammer' him by any means. I simply stated (in my re-activated listing) that he was apparently a scammer. What would you think when someone asks you to ship an item before you ever see any payment for it and the payment doesn't mail until two days after they said they sent it? I do like the ''Besmircher'' title though! That actually made me laugh! Again, he's a good guy and nobody should think otherwise.

Z
Well,
I would think the guy really wants the item fast, and maybe he thought his reputaion lent him some trust. First thing I do before I buy or accept an offer is look at his ratings
http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...s&memid=423311

I for sure wouldn't jump to the conclusion that he's a scammer, after all you still have the item. All you had to say is "No, sorry, won't ship until payment is recieved"

Good of you to make a public apology,, live and learn right?

good luck
Old 07-20-2013, 08:50 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you understood my thoughts and appreciate the title.

Stuff happens and we can't always make things work like we want. Better to just let someone be odd without letting every one else know about it.

A good friend of mine has an interesting view, "It is most likely easier to talk about someone than to be them".

There is a children's book about a boy watching a very well respected person do something that looks wrong and tells everyone in town the man is a thief. Once the boy realizes he didn't have the full story he tells the man he is very sorry and realizes he was wrong.
The man was very understanding from my point of view and gives a very memorable example the boy never forgets. He asks the boy to meet him at the top of a very windy hill with a feather pillow. Once at the top of the hill, he tells the boy to open the pillow and dump all the feathers out. Obviously the wind carries the feathers everywhere and all over. He then asks the boy to put all the feathers back in the pillow. Since many of the feathers have been carried away, the boy says "It's impossible, they are all scattered". The understanding man uses the situation as an illustration...Your words about my name are just like the feathers.
Nice example of how damage to one's name can not be mended easily.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:59 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always best to just state the facts. "After X days I did not receive payment" is just stating the facts. "This guy is a scammer" is potentially libelous.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:20 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: IronZ

I recently put my Hitec Aurora 9 up for sale in the marketplace. A RCU member by the name of thatairplaneguy made an offer and I accepted. He stated that the money order shipped on Monday but as of last night (Thursday), I had not received it. As he is only a couple of hours away and made the request that I ship the radio before I received payment, I chalked him up as a scammer. THIS IS NOT THE CASE!!! Thatairplaneguy is an honest and up-front member and I want to apologize for calling him out as otherwise. I received the MO today and am shipping the Tx tomorrow. Again, he was legit and I made a mistake!

Thanks!
Z
IMO, you don't need to apoligize. If the individual has to ask that YOU ship PRIOR to getting payment, then to me that is a real possibility of a scammer.
I have weathered a number of scammers on that "other big company" which has all kinds of auctions including all kinds of model airplane stuff. For a number of years I was very active seeking old, especially spark-pluggers, engines and OOLLLDDD kits. I have about 50 now and some 30 more of good FF, CL, and RC kits.

My biggest scam was the a person offering cards of 12 each Glow Plugs, not my usual type but usable. I ordered (bid on) all he had of one brand and type. I won and sent him the money through that company that does these things of taking and sending money. Well after two weeks, I sent an email asking when shipment would be made. No answer. 2 more weeks, same drill. 2 more weeks same drill again. I contacted the company and requested assistance. Took a while but after all through the various "Boards" decisions, etc. I received my money back. AFAIK, that person was never on the company auction again.

Before that, I received a number of kit boxes of old models that had some tattered plans, a few sticks wood, sold as full kits.Two boxes were simply paper and scraps wood. One of those "sellers" claimed selling it for a friend and he had already given the "friend" the money, but could not remember the "riend's"full name or address. [:@]

One of the best one was the advertise of ONE of the very few Super-Tigre Black Heads ever made. I got it as I was in the Hobby Business when the Blue Head came out and was a user of those engines ever since. Still have a number of them. HA! It was simply a Blue Head painted black over the Blue. No answers to my emails. Back then all I got from the seller was not allowing me to bid on his other auctions. Kind of funny when I scraped the obvious repaint off the head.

So do not sweat a simple mistake that you made. You apoligized. Very good. Your buyer set the stage. He should be happy.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:28 PM
TheRickster
My Feedback: (12)

We are all only Human, NOT Superhuman.. Life goes on... Don't sweat the petty stuff just pet the sweaty stuff...

Rick
Old 07-20-2013, 02:27 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Curious... How long would you wait before doing something? AFAIK the money order could be fake too! There is a lot of that going around in the auction/on-line world. It is just not easy to buy and sell stuff with confidence these days.

Just a word on how I view these type of actions. If I were the one getting hammered, why would I give the person what they ask for just because they act badly. The rule in my house with my children and even my wife is ''beggers and whiners get nothin!'' Bad behavior yields bad results.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:45 PM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

Curious... How long would you wait before doing something? AFAIK the money order could be fake too! There is a lot of that going around in the auction/on-line world. It is just not easy to buy and sell stuff with confidence these days.

Just a word on how I view these type of actions. If I were the one getting hammered, why would I give the person what they ask for just because they act badly. The rule in my house with my children and even my wife is ''beggers and whiners get nothin!'' Bad behavior yields bad results.

This one is my personal best....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCCByXmEcSA[/youtube]

Old 07-20-2013, 05:17 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: vic
Your words about my name are just like the feathers.
oooohhh Vicman that's so deep! Whatever featherboy.

Ironz, thanks for doing the right thing and setting the record straight, If I where Thatairplaneguy what you did here would square it with me. Good show mate!

Darren
Old 07-20-2013, 06:03 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

There are so many scammers that it pays to be afraid to ship first, but look at the persons feedback before you decide what to do, some might have something coming up and just need it super fast, but good feedback I would take a chance amd have!
Old 07-20-2013, 06:06 PM
okdreamin
My Feedback: (9)

At least you are honest enough to man up and post an apology. Don't worry about it  sh?t happens.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:07 PM
thatairplaneguy
My Feedback: (50)

I guess ill weigh in here

I mailed the MO priority so it should have arrived WAY before Friday but somehow USPS took their time.

I did ask if he would send it on Wednesday (when he should have seen payment sense he didn't want Paypal) because I had a big fly in that I needed the TX for Saturday (today). I said if he would I'd appreciate it and find the recipt with the tracking number.

I never heard back untill Thursday when he assumed I was trying to steal the radio.

He did jump the gun a little and some might say went out of line by starting a thread before he ward back from me or checked my ratings. But I see his side and resolved the situation and forgive him.

He has the "real" money order and I should have my radio soon too. Not for the fly in but that's ok.

No more flaming of me or the OP please. Situation resolved and names are still clear.

I've learned my lesson not to ask favors and I'm sure he has learned to slow down a little. He hadnt even shipped the TX yet so he wasnt in danger of loosing anything.

Safe sky's to all and God bless
-Jake
Old 07-20-2013, 06:15 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

glad it worked out
Old 07-20-2013, 06:18 PM
thatairplaneguy

Yup, that's me. Hiding in plain sight!

Carefull, Z! That fresh ink might rub off
Old 07-20-2013, 07:17 PM
John Sohm
My Feedback: (9)

Good to see both people involved are stand up guys with mature attitudes and egos. Kudos to both, tsk tsk on USPS.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:25 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Never ship without receipt of cleared payment unless it is your grandmother.

People do not get screwed......they let themselves get screwed.

In this case the buyer was honest but you owe no apology for yourself.

A good buyer would not expect shipment before payment.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:43 PM
oldfartpilot
My Feedback: (118)

Last Dec. I bought an engine on RCU Marketplace and the seller informed me that he shipped it on the 12th by Parcel Post from Rhode Island.  It hadn't arrived 2 wks. later and I called him.  He assured me that he'd sent it, but he sent his son to post it and he'd forgotten to include insurance as I'd paid for.  This went on weekly till the end of Jan..  2013.  I'd call and the seller assured me he'd mailed.  I was beginning to think I'd been scammed and was considering contacting Pay Pal for a refund, but the next day it did arrive.  The seller had been honest and honorable.  It had been the USPS that had caused the delay.  The package looked like it had been thru a demolition derby, but the engine had not been damaged.  The USPS had pasted 4 zip code stickers on the package in addition to the one that the seller had included with my address.  I'd had some unkind thoughts about the seller!
Old 07-20-2013, 08:23 PM
thatairplaneguy

@ Speedy-G
I did not EXPECT early shipment but does the honor system mean nothing anymore? I only ASKED if he would. A polite, no, ill wait on payment would suffice and I'd be just as content.

A seller could just as easy cash the mo and never sent the item. All we have to go on is our trust in a fellow hobbiest and the package service it was sent by.

So both parties are clear, keep your $h!t to yourself and lets fly some airplanes, eh?

Old 07-21-2013, 05:31 AM
karlik

I have a few oppinions, but....

ORIGINAL: thatairplaneguy

No more flaming of me or the OP please. Situation resolved and names are still clear.

Safe sky's to all and God bless
-Jake
Sooo...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33315.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	1902618  
Old 07-21-2013, 05:31 AM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

I called you out in my post as an "honest man".............. and you tell me to keep my "***** to myself" ?

I do believe in the honor system but not to a total stranger no matter how honest they are.

I do not know you but I am beginning to form an opinion. I guess you do not take a compliment too well.

If you want an idea of who I am please look at my RCU profile and ratings.

I will however take part of your advise...............I am leaving for the flying field right now.

unsubscribed....................you may follow up with a PM should you wish to reply.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.