Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

The Death of the Vertigo

Old 07-14-2013, 10:07 AM
KLXMASTER14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Death of the Vertigo

Here's one that I was hoping to never have to post. But as we all know, even these precious treasures have an unmarked expiration date. It happens that for the Vertigo, it was July 13, 2013.

The exact cause has not yet been determined. It appears that either the regulator or receiver quit. Right after takeoff, gear up was the last accepted command. The aircraft then rolled about 170 degrees over onto it's back, and pitched straight into the ground. It is a total write off.

-Robert

Note: For graphic images, please go to RCG, I do not have the patience today to deal with RCU's inability to upload photos.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:51 AM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

Default RE: The Death of the Vertigo

Robert,

Sorry to hear the bad news.. You can always post on our forum also , all kinds of space and no limit on photos.

Scott #2
Old 07-14-2013, 11:42 AM
speed-panzer
My Feedback: (1)

What a shame, sorry to see those pics.

Build a new one after some time!

Dominik
Old 07-14-2013, 04:59 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Wow...What a shame... [&o]
Old 07-14-2013, 06:52 PM
JCINTEXAS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Vertigo II was my favorite pattern plane back in the 70's. I flew one 4 years...flew over 100 gallons of fuel through it. And then one day...I was flying it at an "open house" air show at Reese AFB in Lubbock TX. It was about 4 or 5 minutes into the flight. I was just doing a big Split S turn- around...when the radio just quit. I was at the top of a towering Split S and had rolled about 90 degrees to the left (away from the crowd and the parked full-size aircraft....including the Thunderbirds)...and suddenly it was like I had turned-off the transmitter. My Vertigo continued heading out away from the crowd in a downward arc...at full power. It hit in the dirt just 10 feet from the main runway which was 500 feet out from the apron area. Of course it was a total loss. As best I could tell it was a battery failure. Wish I had another one now.
Best Regards
JC

I don't always fly R/C...but when I do, I fly FASST. Fly well my friends.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:59 PM
Roguedog

Robert,

Awww! Man! I'm so sorry to hear it.!

Your Vertigo hauled ass. After seeing it at the Camarillo Classic fly in, I added it to my list of most wanted Classics.

My heart sank when I read the post.

Bryan

Old 07-15-2013, 02:41 AM
CGRetired

ORIGINAL: KLXMASTER14

Here's one that I was hoping to never have to post. But as we all know, even these precious treasures have an unmarked expiration date. It happens that for the Vertigo, it was July 13, 2013.

The exact cause has not yet been determined. It appears that either the regulator or receiver quit. Right after takeoff, gear up was the last accepted command. The aircraft then rolled about 170 degrees over onto it's back, and pitched straight into the ground. It is a total write off.

-Robert

Note: For graphic images, please go to RCG, I do not have the patience today to deal with RCU's inability to upload photos.
Robert:

I have pushed this up to the powers to be withing RCU. I understand that this has gone on for a while and assure you that they are concerned about this and are trying to clear this up. Please be patient.

It would help if, when you see problems like this pop up, that you PM me or RCKen about it. Ken is the forum manager (manager of all of the forums) who is working with the RCU management and IB Software folks to get problems fixed. There is supposed to be a serious software update that, from what I hear, is supposed to have enhancements that are supposed to make things much better. Like you, I just want what is here to work.

Thanks for understanding.

CGretired
Forum Moderator

PS: I am sorry to hear about your Vertigo.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:48 AM
KLXMASTER14

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

-Robert

Robert:

I have pushed this up to the powers to be withing RCU. I understand that this has gone on for a while and assure you that they are concerned about this and are trying to clear this up. Please be patient.

It would help if, when you see problems like this pop up, that you PM me or RCKen about it. Ken is the forum manager (manager of all of the forums) who is working with the RCU management and IB Software folks to get problems fixed. There is supposed to be a serious software update that, from what I hear, is supposed to have enhancements that are supposed to make things much better. Like you, I just want what is here to work.

CGretired
Forum Moderator

Thanks for the direction Ken. I didn't mean to beat you guys up, just frustrated at the time. Thank you for your kind words.
-Robert
Old 07-15-2013, 06:56 AM
KLXMASTER14

Thank you all for your support. This forum is where the Vertigo first took on life. And since then many relationships have been established and many other things have spun off as a tangent to this project. This just proves what I have found over and over again, that it is really about more than just an airplane. Pattern folks are the greatest, and you all prove that here.

There will be another Vertigo, and the show will go on. I will report back any findings when I get to the investigation. Right now, it is under my "three day rule". That is when something like this happens, I put it aside for three days to let things settle out.

Best regards,
Robert
Old 07-15-2013, 08:18 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The worst part is the fact that it is very hard to determine a cause when everything is mangled. At least there is nothing left that can tempt you to put in another airframe.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:45 PM
stuntflyr

Chris...
Old 07-15-2013, 12:47 PM
stuntflyr

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

-Robert

Robert:

CGretired
Forum Moderator

That's really funny, Ken.
Robert's note on photos is an indicator of what happens on your site, every single day. That's the reality that you're reading there. His response back was simply his inate kindness and default to good manners.
Chris...
Old 07-15-2013, 12:54 PM
CGRetired

Well, first of all, I am not Ken. I said I would refer it TO Ken, which I did. Hey.. if you don't want the help, just say so... I think you did. I can take the hint. Others have noted appreciation for the help. I'm a moderator not a programmer.

CGr.
(Dick, by the way) and I am the Forum Moderator not the Forum Manager.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:18 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Chris,

I feel it is worth pointing out that our moderators are there to provide a liasion between us, the members, and management; among other things. RCU is not "Dick's site" (nor Ken's) and he is not responsible for whether RCU works or not. In fact it is not the programmers fault either. This kind of endemic problem is squarely the result of improper management and technical infrastructure.

While the last thing I want to do is detour Robert's thread, I think it important to support our moderators as it is a thankless job as many volunteer (or semi volunteer) positions often are.

That said I'm with you in spirit on your comments and, like many other members on this forum, fully see where you're coming from. I think Dick (CGr) is doing what he can.

Dick, siding with Chris, I have to say that if we sent a PM every time there was a problem with RCU, you would have drowned in words by now. The issues have been there for years and we all know it. The "software update" has been spoken about for over a year now (little does it matter which update one is talking about) and little seems to have changed. The number of broken threads due to pictures vanishing is, site wide, innumerable.

I'm really hoping there are bright minds, at all levels, behind the future of RCU.

My coupla penny's worth.

David
Old 07-15-2013, 02:22 PM
CGRetired

I appreciate your comments. As you correctly judged, I am a middle man here, but am perfectly willing to listen to comments, suggestions, and, yes, criticism as long as it does not point at me personally. I also work for a living and do this as a hobby, and as you can imagine, I am not willing to take negative criticism for something that is beyond my ability to do something about except forward comments on to management, which I am doing.

So, PM me, but please don't send a lot of repeat stuff... as I say to my significant other, Julie, once is enough as I get the point....

With that said, I did forward the complaints (not the comment above but the real issue here, which is downloading... or uploading - depending on your perspective I guess - of picture files to RCU. Just remember that there are size limitations, which I do believe you all know about because you probably have been doing this longer than I have.

So, I hope you guys can hang in there.

Thanks, guys.

Dick (CGr)
Old 07-16-2013, 02:43 PM
CGRetired

Gentlemen:

I have been informed that the Software Engineers at Internet Brands (IB) has identified the problem associated with uploading images to RCU and have pushed a fix. Hopefully your image uploads will be displayed now. I apologize for the inconvenience this problem has caused to anyone here.

I tested it by uploading an image of a boat my Brother rebuilt. Not a bad job. It's for sale if anyone is interested... not an advertisement, just a test.

CGr (Dick)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14720.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	1901249  
Old 07-16-2013, 04:38 PM
Timthetoolman1
My Feedback: (6)

I don't know if I'd be interested in that boat Dick, according to your avitar he uses it to launch off waves, maybe he should get a jet ski...LOL. Just joking of course. It's a beautiful boat, good luck to him.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:55 PM
CGRetired

Thanks. I hate to say how many times I "crossed the bar" in a Coast Guard motor life boat in California.. imagine 30 to 40 foot surf right in the middle of the harbor entrance in between the jetty's? I was much younger then.

My brother is a magician. He gets things that are literally ready for the scrap heap and rebuilds them, often making parts from scratch, and makes them look like that Pen Yan. His favorite is British AJS Matchless. He literally gets them in baskets with the frame usually covered in dirt, rust, and all sorts of crap. What he ends up with, usually after a year of hard work in his spare time, is a best of class winner at motorcycle shows.

Anyway, I thought I would upload that picture both to show that the upload works and to show off his handy work.

Dick.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:37 PM
Timthetoolman1

Wax and PVA is on. Ready for glass.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:15 AM
Winged Fox

Loved that Vertigo II. Got the chance to fly it my self. R.I.P. old freind. Classics Rock!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57066.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1902085  
Old 07-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: Timthetoolman1

Wax and PVA is on. Ready for glass.
So I assume you are making a fuse for Robert??? Awesome!!

That sure was a beautiful plane...

I saw on the other forums that a guy lost an pretty Atlanta too. What a shame... []

I saw in another post that he had another in the works, so that's good...
Old 07-19-2013, 10:05 AM
Timthetoolman1

It was a beautiful plane. I've saved a few of his photos and refer to them occasionally when I'm deciding what to build next.

We've talked about a new fuselage from my mold but nothing is set in stone. I'm going to lay up a few of them so one will be available to him if he wants it.

Robert has a fuselage and a few wing cores already but a friend is pressing him not to build that fuse and told him he should mold it instead. I echoed those same words to my friend that is on his 5th Dirty Birdy so I know where he's coming from but that was back when you couldn't just go get one of these classics with a glass fuse.

Chuck, didn't you make an Atlanta mold?
Old 07-20-2013, 05:20 PM
TFF

OH NO!