Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

VERY old timer needing lipo help

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 08:04 PM
XXT-CRer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VERY old timer needing lipo help

hi fellers.

im an old timer in the rc racing hobby. been a member here for around ten years, dating back to the 45mphpede, skrapiron, speedmunkey era!!! im from the oldschool comm cutting days. ya, that old, lol.

now to my question.

ive been out of the hobby, and into rc helis for a while, but im getting the surface bug again. I have 4 trucks. all losi xx and xxx trucks, and they have the first generation gtb brushless controllers with ss5800 motors. back when I got out, we were still running nimh packs, and I want to go lipo. im looking at thunder ac6 chargers and turnigy lipo packs, but being that my gtb's are the early versions, they don't have low voltage detection/cutout, and from what I hear, im going to toast my new packs if I run them down too low.

what im thinking is to purchase the following stuff. I know this stuff might be low end, but keep in mind I have to purchase 4 of everything. one for me, one for my bro, and one each for my two sons.

4 of the thunder ac6 lipo chargers
4 of the turnigy 2s lipo packs
and
4 of the novak smart-stop low voltage cutoffs.

am I on the right track? anything else I am forgetting?
Old 07-20-2013, 08:35 PM
littlemel
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: VERY old timer needing lipo help

I have the thunder ac6 and charges everything i need it too.      Stupid questio, but why di yiu need 4 chargers?
Old 07-20-2013, 08:37 PM
XXT-CRer

not stupid at all. it does sound goofy to buy 4.

the reason is im setting up 4 ppl to be able to be self sufficient, and able to chargetheir own batteries.

one for me. one for my brother. one for my older son, and one for my younger son.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:41 PM
littlemel
My Feedback: (4)

It  wont let me edit....but if you guys are all running together they make chargers that can do 4 batteries at once.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:41 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's everything. Sounds u have got it sused. Only thing I can recommend... Is 4x 2s ballance lead extensions.
They are very useful when charging because u can keep the charging battery away from the charger and provides more flexibility in the cables.

The thunder ac6 is a great charger but I prefer the IMAX B6AC, only because it has all the ballance ports build in. I don't like the way the AC6 uses a external ballance board. Knowing me I would loose it or the kids will destroy it.

The Novak smarts top is awesome, I use to use one on a old tamiya. I like the way they have the warning LED

Good luck it should be fun, those old losi's are a blast, who knows u might even go brushless some day.... It's only about $80-$110 for ESC and motor...then u could run 3s lipo's for some stupid speed
Old 07-20-2013, 08:47 PM
XXT-CRer

Good luck it should be fun, those old losi's are a blast, who knows u might even go brushless some day.... It's only about $80-$110 for ESC and motor
actually, 3 of the 4 are already brushless. gtb esc's with ss5800 motors, but they are the early versions without lvc controls, hence my inquiry on the smartstops.

I do plan to outfit the 4th truck with a brushless system and im very interested in the 80-110 dollar sytems you mentions. ezrun system? like maybe the 60a esc and motor combo?
Old 07-20-2013, 11:12 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol whoops, my bad. I've really got to start reding thing proplary

Might be wort shooing Novak a email just to double check its compatibility, I think traxxas ESC are the only ones that have issues.

Yep ezrun combo for sure. U could problary use a 35a combo with no problems, but for the little price difference it's worth getting the 60a ones.

Oh yeah.... Might be worth getting a few different pinion gears and a temp gun to play around with different gearing
Old 07-21-2013, 09:23 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you can shave a few bucks by getting a Low Voltage Alarm. It will beep and has LED indicators to let you know when the voltage of the lipo drops. It will not cut power...but they are plenty loud and unless the track is massive you will be able to hear them and know its time to change the battery.
You can buy them for less than $10 on ebay. And there is no risk of them not being compatible with your ESC...as they simply plug into the balance lead of the lipo and don't interfere with the power/esc at all.

I have the thunder ac6 and it works great. I like to use the skylipo brand packs. about the same cost as the turnigy. Had slightly better luck with the skylipos myself tho...especially the 40c-60c burst rated packs.