Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba receivers

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 08:11 PM
drube

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Futaba receivers

ORIGINAL: OliverJacob

I'd stay away from Nimh with your setup. And 7 Volts are fine for your servos, the rx may not like it.
They don't like high current draws, charging is very slow and if a cell fails, it will open up and you loose your plane. Nicd batteries will shorten out and you may have a chance to save your model with a lower battery voltage.

There are some great Life batteries available now, charge in 20 minutes, they are light and deliver enough current.

How many amps you will draw is hard to say, for scale flying you will be fine with a 5A regulator. If you fly agressive 3D maneuvers, get 8A or more.

This is as safe as it gets:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_System.html

two batteries and regulators. If one fails, the other takes over
I'd like to stay away from Nimh, So if I use a Litium Ion the regulator needs to be 6v 8A?

Old 07-20-2013, 08:19 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Yes, that is what I would do
Old 07-20-2013, 08:20 PM
drube

Thank you... Something like this? www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__6233__TURNIGY_8_15A_UBEC_for_Lipoly.html
Old 07-20-2013, 08:45 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

That will do the job for sure [8D]
Old 07-21-2013, 07:17 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

on rc universe for any futaba receivers
Old 07-21-2013, 10:04 AM
drube

I have been looking at the LiFe batteries and think that's the direction I should go.

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:03 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I buy most of my RC radio stuff from www.towerhobbies.com . Reliable source with great service. There are counterfit receivers out there and I feel more confident buying from Tower.

I will say that my next FASST receivers will be from Home Aloft Hobbies . They sell the FrSky FASST compatibles. About 1/3 the price of Futaba Receivers and a GREAT reputation for quality.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aeajr
I buy most of my RC radio stuff from www.towerhobbies.com . Reliable source with great service. There are counterfit receivers out there and I feel more confident buying from Tower.

I will say that my next FASST receivers will be from Home Aloft Hobbies . They sell the FrSky FASST compatibles. About 1/3 the price of Futaba Receivers and a GREAT reputation for quality.
I use Futaba FASST as well but I don't need to save a few bux on a receiver.
I can save money somewhere else but not on the radio....besides....with an 18MZ I wouldn't be using an $8 receiver.....sniff....yes, I'm a snob when it comes to radios....kaff kaff.....hahahaha
Old 08-08-2013, 08:22 AM
aeajr

Originally Posted by Dave Harmon
I use Futaba FASST as well but I don't need to save a few bux on a receiver.
I can save money somewhere else but not on the radio....besides....with an 18MZ I wouldn't be using an $8 receiver.....sniff....yes, I'm a snob when it comes to radios....kaff kaff.....hahahaha
You have a source for $8 FASST receivers? Please share.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Dave Harmon

You have a source for $8 FASST receivers? Please share.
Mebby not $8....but nevertheless....I ain't gonna cheap out on radio gear.
You get the message...
Old 08-08-2013, 11:08 AM
aeajr

The FrSky receivers are between $20 and $40 and their reputation for reliability is quite impressive. Definitely as good as any of the name brands.

Lots of competition pilots using the FrSky, under FrSky's protocol, in contest planes, giants, etc. And what I read about the FrSky FASST, the same reputation for reliability applies.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:56 PM
Dave Harmon

The FrSky receivers are between $20 and $40 and their reputation for reliability is quite impressive. Definitely as good as any of the name brands.

Lots of competition pilots using the FrSky, under FrSky's protocol, in contest planes, giants, etc. And what I read about the FrSky FASST, the same reputation for reliability applies.
I don't care....I buy Futaba because I can.
If I still used JR I would feel the same way about them.
It isn't about brand loyalty....it's all about buying a known product from a known company with an impressive background and history.
If anything goes wrong with the Futaba stuff I have it gets repaired under warrantee or I pay for the repair....I don't have to throw it away.
Yeah, yeah I know....it will cost more than $40 to fix it....
I don't care....small potatoes.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:59 AM
aeajr

Dave,

Can't argue with your logic. Just making you aware, not trying to convince you to change.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:18 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSP972

It is my understanding that its best to use a five cell/6V receiver pack with 2.4, the better to prevent a voltage drop "brown-out". My problem here is that most of my servos are specifically NOT recommended for use with six volts (Futaba 9252). Yes, I know tons of folks say they do it with no issue, but I see no reason to tempt fate. My plan was to put a regulator inline between battery and receiver to drop the voltage down to 5V or so. But you seem to advise against this. Moot point so far, because I haven't been able to find a suitable regulator.

You don't need a regulator...a diode will drop the voltage by about .7v You can get a 3 amp diode at Radio Shack...N4007 type for a couple bucks. Solder it in the negative lead of the switch harness, between the switch and the Rx. The stripe on the diode goes toward the negative side of the battery.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:43 PM
aeajr

you don't need to go to 5 cell, just make sure your 4 cell pack has enough ability to deliver the amps your servos and receiver demand so that there is little or no voltage sag.

I would not run a 6 digital servo plane with a 2.4 receiver on a AAA pack. Nor would I let the pack run down below 4.8V.

My 6 digital servo gliders are on 5 cell 2/3A 1500 mah packs which can deliver up to 15 amps. I have one that is running on a 4 cell 1600 mah pack. At 3C it can deliver 4.8 amps which should be enough to sustain brief high demands of my servos without a significant voltage drop. And I don't let the pack get below 4.8V at rest.

Most 2.4 receivers can tolerate a dip to 3.5V and many can go as low as 2.5V without a reboot. If your pack is dropping to 2.5V you have done a poor job of sizing our receiver pack. An old FM receiver might have tolerated that but the 2.4 receivers might reboot.

Does a 5 cell pack give you a little more margin for error? Probably, but the pack will also run down faster so be aware of that too.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:19 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Originally Posted by Dave Harmon
I don't care....I buy Futaba because I can.
If I still used JR I would feel the same way about them.
It isn't about brand loyalty....it's all about buying a known product from a known company with an impressive background and history.
If anything goes wrong with the Futaba stuff I have it gets repaired under warrantee or I pay for the repair....I don't have to throw it away.
Yeah, yeah I know....it will cost more than $40 to fix it....
I don't care....small potatoes.
WELL stated, Dave. I feel the exact same way. And I flew JR for a good while, too... until their habit of updating radio "features" without increasing processor capacity (IOW, having to delete one program to add a new one) eventually backed me into a corner.

I recently got into electrics, and was looking at the various 'el cheapios' out there. As aeajr notes, the FrSky stuff has a decent reputation... but skimping on one's radio gear is... just... wrong, in my book. If one has a high-end transmitter, why use a cheap-jack receiver???

And like I told a fellow the other day... if the twenty or thirty dollar difference between an OEM product and an aftermarket product (which is probably made to lesser standard of quality) is that important, then you need to find a less expensive hobby.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:29 PM
aeajr

I have been flying for 10, 9 of that with Futaba 72 MHz radios that have been upraded to Futaba 2.4 FASST

When I was on 72 MHz I flew mostly Hitec receivers though I did have Futaba and Berg too.

So far on FASST I have 4 617s that have been flawless. I have an Orange FASST that I have not tried yet and don't have any hesitation to try FrSky.

Compatible receivers were common in the 72 MHz days and are not becoming common in the 2.4 GHz world.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:53 PM
LSP972

Compatible receivers were common in the 72 MHz days and are not becoming common in the 2.4 GHz world.
Indeed. I looked into this quite a bit when gearing up for electrics; particularly the cheap foamies I got to "play with". I figured they didn't need a "high quality" receiver. A combination of not really knowing what I was looking (inexperience with 2.4 systems) and the many threads/posts about this or that el cheapo receiver puking, etc., convinced me to stay with OEM gear, despite the added cost.

I'm a bit more knowledgeable regarding electrics and 2.4 these days... and will remain using OEM radio gear (although I'm not above using HiTec servos in some applications )

I guess what hurts the most is looking at the two 9Z transmitters and half-dozen 72mHz high-end PCM receivers I have collecting dust, knowing how much I paid for each one... and knowing what they are worth now.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:47 PM
aeajr

If they still work you can still use them. No reason not to, except at some of the larger RC events where they are no longer accepting 72 MHz entries.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:29 PM
Dave Harmon

Indeed. I looked into this quite a bit when gearing up for electrics; particularly the cheap foamies I got to "play with". I figured they didn't need a "high quality" receiver. A combination of not really knowing what I was looking (inexperience with 2.4 systems) and the many threads/posts about this or that el cheapo receiver puking, etc., convinced me to stay with OEM gear, despite the added cost.

I'm a bit more knowledgeable regarding electrics and 2.4 these days... and will remain using OEM radio gear (although I'm not above using HiTec servos in some applications )

I guess what hurts the most is looking at the two 9Z transmitters and half-dozen 72mHz high-end PCM receivers I have collecting dust, knowing how much I paid for each one... and knowing what they are worth now.

I have a 9zap I bought new 19 years ago....the first model.
I retired it last September for an 18MZ.
If the MZ gives as good service as the 9z I will be very grateful.

That 9z has thousands of flights and is still in excellent condition. I think just now that Futaba cannot replace the display. Apparently the rest of the radio is still repairable for now.
Eventually the mechanical parts will be used up but I still love that thing!
Once you understand it that is....kaff...

I got the 2.4g module and 008 receiver for it and flew it some more after I retired the 6meter modules....it was on 53.500 specially prepaired by Steve Helms hisself. (Futaba only offered the channelized freqs back then)
It is just a great design and build quality that made me forget how much I paid for it.
It can do almost anything if you can program it.

So.....if you think you need another radio, get the module and rx set from Tower and the ol' 9z will take a new lease on life.
Also....I ditched the nicads and use a Hyperion LiFe from R/C Dude.
I get a safe endurance of 11 hours continuous on time. There is an easy mod to get it installed.
If anyone is interested in how to do this...send me a PM or direct email.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:27 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Life!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2013, 06:27 AM
DougV

With Futaba FASST RX’s (Including the R617FS) you can use a 2S LiPo (7.2) with no issues at all, the servos is what you need to worry about.

Doug
Old 08-14-2013, 11:33 AM
LSP972

Dave, I already have the 2.4 module for the 9Z, and both (mine are 9ZHPs) have been back to Tony in the past year for overhaul and lithium battery replacement. So they have plenty of life left in them, both with new 2500mAh NiMH packs. Yup, that 1100mAh pack they came with was a joke. I have two extra battery magazines (in addition to the one in each radio) as well.

Here's the deal... when one has a wife who knows the difference between a 9Z and a 12Z... and she bought the 12Z as a surprise Xmas present... and had been asking why I wasn't using the new 12Z... what would YOU do???

The 12Z is a great radio. But the ergonomics SUCK; its slippery, and it has slipped out of my hands twice, caught by the neck strap, thankfully. In fact, I had to go back to flying thumbs-only because of that, so I could get a grip on the darn case.

I've recently gotten into electrics, and have several new models to learn. I think I'm going back to the 9Z, because I've been flying fingers for over twenty years now, and going back to thumbs... is not fun. The 9Z cradles naturally in the outer edges of my hands, perfect for flying with fingers . And while the 12Z may have more features than the 9Z, I have yet to find anything that I need done that it will do and the 9Z won't.

That does it; I'm digging them out as soon as I post this message. Thanks for kick, Dave!

Old 08-17-2013, 04:05 AM
Rob2160

Dave, I already have the 2.4 module for the 9Z, and both (mine are 9ZHPs) have been back to Tony in the past year for overhaul and lithium battery replacement. So they have plenty of life left in them, both with new 2500mAh NiMH packs. Yup, that 1100mAh pack they came with was a joke. I have two extra battery magazines (in addition to the one in each radio) as well.

Here's the deal... when one has a wife who knows the difference between a 9Z and a 12Z... and she bought the 12Z as a surprise Xmas present... and had been asking why I wasn't using the new 12Z... what would YOU do???

The 12Z is a great radio. But the ergonomics SUCK; its slippery, and it has slipped out of my hands twice, caught by the neck strap, thankfully. In fact, I had to go back to flying thumbs-only because of that, so I could get a grip on the darn case.

I've recently gotten into electrics, and have several new models to learn. I think I'm going back to the 9Z, because I've been flying fingers for over twenty years now, and going back to thumbs... is not fun. The 9Z cradles naturally in the outer edges of my hands, perfect for flying with fingers . And while the 12Z may have more features than the 9Z, I have yet to find anything that I need done that it will do and the 9Z won't.

That does it; I'm digging them out as soon as I post this message. Thanks for kick, Dave!

Have you considered building / buying a transmitter tray? I used to fly with two fingers with my old Kraft Radio using a Tray that was designed for this radio.. It was very comfortable and I always felt it to be more precise than thumb flying. Since getting into 2.4 Ghz radios and electrics I haven't bothered with Trays and just thumb fly for ease and comfort. I see plenty of videos on youtube of pilots flying with two fingers while holding a standard TX and it just looks incredibly awkward and so uncomfortable. (I did try it but instantly disliked it without a proper tray)

http://www.perthrc.com.au/transmitte...tm14-cfrp.html

Standard TXs are just not ergonomically designed to be held this way.. hence the Spektrum DX10..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0M7DPHFH6c

Last edited by Rob2160; 08-17-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:12 AM
Silent-AV8R

I'm wanting to use a Fromeco 7.4v Litium Ion 2600 mAh and a 6v regulator with my Futaba R617FS Rx... I contacted Futaba and asked them about this, i'm waiting for a reply. Are you sure about this? are you using this set up? What regulator would you suggest?

You can run the 617FS using your set up with no issues. In general, Futaba receivers can all take unregulated 2S lipos without any issues as well. It is your servo choice that limits voltage.

Futaba receivers will operate down to below 3.0 volts (usually around 2.8 or so). Many brands of digital servos will not operate below 3 volts. If you allow your power system to get that low, then you have a big problem or need to rethink how you manage your batteries ;-)

4.8 volt packs are just fine as well. Again, the caveat is making sure they can deliver the voltage your type of flying needs.

I have been using unregulated 2S LiFePO4 packs in everything I fly for the last 3 years or so. I see a steady 6.6 volts for all my flying with low voltages on the order of around 6.4 recorded during flights. I fly mostly pattern planes and gliders (6 servo F3J type). I also fly a couple of helis. LiFePO4 works superbly in all these applications.

Bill in Orange County, CA
Team Futaba

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.