Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

crsahed DLE30

Old 07-21-2013, 07:48 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crsahed DLE30

I crashed a DLE 30 and cracked the cylinder. I ordered a new piston and cylinder but the piston is backordered. Wht do you engine gurus think of reusing the old piston with a new ring?
The piston has no visible damage.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:10 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: crsahed DLE30

I'm far from being an engine guru but IMHO since the cylinder and piston are not sold as a matched set, if the piston is in good condition I would not hesitate to re-use it with a new ring.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:17 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

+1, reuse the piston if it is in good condition. I would replace the needle bearing on the wristpin though and they are very cheap.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:38 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

Depending on where the break is located you may have more damaged parts. If the impact cracked the base of the cylinder and allowed it to pivot forward while the engine was running you may have a bent connecting rod and a damaged lower needle bearing. Have you removed and inspected the crank bearings yet?
Old 07-21-2013, 09:03 AM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

Depending on where the break is located you may have more damaged parts. If the impact cracked the base of the cylinder and allowed it to pivot forward while the engine was running you may have a bent connecting rod and a damaged lower needle bearing. Have you removed and inspected the crank bearings yet?

The muffler ripped off and broke the mount ring.This caused a small crack in the cylinder.
Also one of the engine mounting lugs was broken off so I need to check the crank. But just turning it over it seems to be OK.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:54 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

The muffler ripped off and broke the mount ring.This caused a small crack in the cylinder.
Also one of the engine mounting lugs was broken off so I need to check the crank. But just turning it over it seems to be OK.
You should be able to buy just the rear case half that has the mount lugs on it.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:34 AM
dirtybird

I have a rear case half coming on delayed shipment. I also an trying to get a Frank Bowman ring. I just emailed him this morning.