Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

TBM Shock Jet

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

TBM Shock Jet

Old 12-17-2012, 07:38 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TBM Shock Jet

Honda: If you HAVE to have a 2-piece wing, contact Limey Bob at LDS and order one of his JetMach 60 kits. It can be built with a one- piece OR two-piece wing. Yes, you have to build it, but Bob's kits go together quickly and easily. The SJ is a rip-off of the JetMach 60, anyway. Basically the same airplane. My clipped-wing SJ is no less stable than the full-span version. I fly in a rather small (by jet standards) club field. Our runway is 300 ft. by 40 ft. asphalt. If I do my part, my clipped-wing SJ uses a bit more than half of the runway for landing. Molar Mender flies at the same field. In fact, he is also the CD that signed my waiver application, at this very field. I taught Tip22v to fly his SJ at this field as well. Every flight, the runway seemed larger to him. He had it nailed in 4 or 5 flights and Molar Mender got to sign-off on another waiver. I've said this before and I'll say it again. The SJ may be homely, but it's GREAT in bed.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:55 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input.

To be honest... the "Ugly" for me is the easy part to get past. I like "Stick" models. I have a few sizes in the fleet right now. From an electric, up to a 30cc. And... to me... this is just a "Jet Stick".

I'm aware of the jetmach and SJ history. My problem is... I don't know if I will find time to build a full kit. Although... it would be the easy solution to the big wing.

I guess my second problem is... ever since getting my waiver... I've been brainwashed into thinking I need faster, composite jet's.

I've been thinking about it for a couple weeks now... and at this point... I should take a few more days to figure it out. There's no reason to order one now, and have it shipping with the rest of the Xmas rush.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:01 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

To y. You answered your own Delma. Buy a SJ or a Jetmach kit like me and r guy has been telling ya and then, order a comp fast lawn dart. Ha. Ha.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Dr Honda

Well.... My lawndart is the hotspot I'm finishing for this coming summer. (lol)

And as before... with kids, life, and everything else... I don't know if I have the energy to build, cover, and rig an 80" model.

BUT... I think I have figured out a solution !!!!!!!! OK... so my real problem is in transporting it. But... I think I have figured out how to do a 2 part wing without major surgery.

1) We know that the center has to be glued VERY well to be able to take the stress. TBM's fix was to add the wood inside the brace to make a better bond. OK... so how about a 2 part brace, that can be bolted together from the underside?? It would still have wood, and still be glued into the wings. But, once the bolts are out... it could separate.

2) The second part of the fix was the wood dowels in the wing to keep the wood from crushing. Ok.. we still do that mod... but then we add a brace (internal) or a plate (external) to tie the bolts together. This will keep them from stretching apart... and letting the wing to separate. The remaining wood would still get soaked in think CA to make it hard.

3) If needed... a final internal brace can be added to sandwich the center ribs together. (But I'm not sure that would be needed)

What do you guys think??

I may even get crazy, and make a removable nose section to take a few inches out of that length.

regardless... I think I'm going to order a kit after Xmas, and see what can be done.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:49 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think it would be strong enough. Why not go to tntlandinggear.com and get a wing tube and socket and mod the wing right?
Old 12-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Dr Honda

Thanks for the link. That could work too.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:45 AM
blainer48
My Feedback: (30)

Does anyone know of anyone that added brakes to their shock jet?  I mean using air brakes, tank, running airlines, etc..
I was thinking about adding some to mine just wondering what components were used and sort of a set up idea.

Jason
Old 07-21-2013, 12:10 PM
shepp

Jason,
Regarding your question on air brakes. I have done 5 shock jets for myself and others. All using one type of brake or another. Robart brakes and tires or Dr Hondas brakes and Du-bro tires are probably the cheapest way. I have also done Inarcos system . if you use robart then their small "Green" one way valve is all you need and a small servo.( Mn48) or equiv. Using inarco I used a ultra precision " Up-6" and servo. Dr Hondas brakes also work well with a simple valve. I have even put wheel pants on a couple with brakes really classes the shocker up. On one I put wheel pants , brakes and retractable nose gear, and one with full retractable "Pro-link" gear.[img][/img] be glad to send photos etc.

Glenn Sheppard
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17324.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1902696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31161.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	1902697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85533.jpg
Views:	179
ID:	1902698  
Old 07-21-2013, 12:25 PM
hooker53

Jason.

Look back up the thread 10/20 pages for my post and photos on how I did mine. Shepp and I both have tried a few rhi gs on these Shocks. I machined my own wheels and used Intarco brake hubs to get done faster or just be lazy. Ha. Bo its not hard to pull off. After you get your wheels and mou ts in place, I used a BVM Smooth Stop and lowered my main gear and model by 2". Changed the ground handling, takeoffs and landings totally.

Roy.

ORIGINAL: blainer48

Does anyone know of anyone that added brakes to their shock jet? I mean using air brakes, tank, running airlines, etc..
I was thinking about adding some to mine just wondering what components were used and sort of a set up idea.

Jason
Old 07-21-2013, 12:36 PM
shepp

Roy is right, lowering the landing gear changes everything on the ground. Retracts also up the speed quite a bit. lol This photo is really a Mach 60 modified to look like an A-7 . the gear assembly is easily fit to the shok jet arf. they are a lot of fun to experiment with and still fly great. The A-7 modification got a lot of comments at Ky Jets last week. Just something different.

shepp

Name:	Wu61794.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	1902719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19810.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	1902720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16913.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	1902721  
Old 07-21-2013, 12:46 PM
hooker53

Shepp. That Shock A-7 is unreal. Ha. Ha. I like that. You like to bash these rhi gs like I do. Jason. Went back up thread and found my photos of what I did. Look for post 611. Never did like that flimsy nose strut so made a follow.ink type deal for the front.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:50 PM
Baron35R

Jason
Like Glenn said we had at least five flying in Nashville at a time.
Mine has robart brakes and wheels put on the stock main gear. Works like a charm.
I put the bottle in the top nose compartment with the ecu battery.
If you still use the stock nose gear solder the cross brace that would hold that brake paddle into the mounts and install it half way up for additional stability.
Its not fancy but adds stability while still giving good flex to save that weak nose gear former, which needs reinforcing!

Cheers

Andy

Name:	Om34108.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1902722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24984.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	1902723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99339.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1902724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl24655.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1902725  
Old 07-21-2013, 04:01 PM
kb8ife

I'm glad to see this site is still alive I still fly my Shock jet now with a new Jet Central Bee II kero start 6 flights so far. I tell you that is all the speed you need.
I like to fly low and fast and still can't understand how the 4 bolts on the wing don't pull through.
Mine still flys great The brakes I made up still work great now with 125 flights on it.
look back at page 34 post 831 about my brakes. With the new turbine no more start tube it starts perfect no flames.

Jim
Old 09-20-2013, 04:09 AM
Dr Honda

OK guys.....

Has anyone built one of the newest versions????????? Here's the deal....

The wing attach points are supposed to be re-enforced with a hard wood dowel. In the instructions, it says to use a 3/8" dowel, and insert it into the hole in the front, and to just use thin CA to harden the rear holes. But, in my wing, there are 3/4" recessed holes cut, on both the front and the back.

The real kick to the nutz is... the hardware pack still only had the 3/8" dowel, and the flat plywood plate for the rear holes. Obviously both are useless.

I guess I need to go buy a 3/4" dowel, and make fillers for both the front and rear.

I'm not looking for a solution... but just wondering if anyone else has a kit like this.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:38 AM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

You can buy the brakes from Hobby King and use them, They are electric.
I have never added the dowels. What I have done is use thin CA all over the holes, than come back and filled them with Epoxy. Re-drill the holes.
I also use thin CA all over the blocks in the fuse. Than just like the wing.... Come back with Epoxy all over, Except on this I use tape to cover the holes.
To this day I have never lost a wing!

Gerry H.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:48 AM
gjhinshaw

When putting the wing together, MANY glue it together with Epoxy..... Sorry But this is a NO GO! Putting the wing together requires sanding everything first, The scuff up the Aluim. brace. You must use Hysol to glue the wing together. I have tried almost everything and only Hysol held together! I also used the hysol on the wing mounting blocks in the fuse. Never had a failure doing it this way, and at over 600 flights... It is still holding strong..... Just FYI and my 2 cents.

Gerry H.

Originally Posted by Dr Honda
Well.... My lawndart is the hotspot I'm finishing for this coming summer. (lol)

And as before... with kids, life, and everything else... I don't know if I have the energy to build, cover, and rig an 80" model.

BUT... I think I have figured out a solution !!!!!!!! OK... so my real problem is in transporting it. But... I think I have figured out how to do a 2 part wing without major surgery.

1) We know that the center has to be glued VERY well to be able to take the stress. TBM's fix was to add the wood inside the brace to make a better bond. OK... so how about a 2 part brace, that can be bolted together from the underside?? It would still have wood, and still be glued into the wings. But, once the bolts are out... it could separate.

2) The second part of the fix was the wood dowels in the wing to keep the wood from crushing. Ok.. we still do that mod... but then we add a brace (internal) or a plate (external) to tie the bolts together. This will keep them from stretching apart... and letting the wing to separate. The remaining wood would still get soaked in think CA to make it hard.

3) If needed... a final internal brace can be added to sandwich the center ribs together. (But I'm not sure that would be needed)

What do you guys think??

I may even get crazy, and make a removable nose section to take a few inches out of that length.

regardless... I think I'm going to order a kit after Xmas, and see what can be done.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Dr Honda

Where are you guys balancing this model at? I'm sure it will fly at where the book puts it. (fat point of the wing) But I figure I would ask before trying to fly it.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:48 PM
gjhinshaw

DrH,
I balanced mine with wing "OFF". I put fingers inside the "BIG" part of intake.....

Where are you guys balancing this model at? I'm sure it will fly at where the book puts it. (fat point of the wing) But I figure I would ask before trying to fly it.

Name:	Ec88964.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1923752  
Old 09-22-2013, 02:28 AM
Dr Honda

gjhinshaw:

I put my JC Falcon in my shock... and right now... it balances right about where you said. I really figured it would be excessively tail heavy. But, I did use a 5000 mah Lipo for the ECU, and two 2500 LiFe batteries for the Rx. I guess that was enough to balance it out. But I will double check before heading out to the field.

I wound up making some fillers for, out of 3/4" dowel, holes in the wing,. If nothing else... it will give the bolts a nice hard spot to clamp to. I also used thin CA on all the mounting points, to harden the fuse, wing mounts.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by Dr Honda; 09-22-2013 at 02:34 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:04 PM
gjhinshaw

That is what I have in mine... As you can see from TBM's web site.....

gjhinshaw:

I put my JC Falcon in my shock... and right now... it balances right about where you said. I really figured it would be excessively tail heavy. But, I did use a 5000 mah Lipo for the ECU, and two 2500 LiFe batteries for the Rx. I guess that was enough to balance it out. But I will double check before heading out to the field.

I wound up making some fillers for, out of 3/4" dowel, holes in the wing,. If nothing else... it will give the bolts a nice hard spot to clamp to. I also used thin CA on all the mounting points, to harden the fuse, wing mounts.

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:32 AM
Dr Honda

Last night... I finished tinkering with the setup, and changing a few things I didn't like on the original install. So... I decided to weigh it. It looks like my shock is just under 17 Lbs, with a little fuel in the tank, and a full bubble tank. I've got an 80 oz Dubro tank.... so with fuel... I'm going to be at 21 Lbs.

Does that seem heavy to you guys???

FYI... I only needed about 40g of weight up front to balance it.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:13 AM
gjhinshaw

Nope, not at all! Mine weighs more than that.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:56 AM
Dr Honda

OK... I got 5 good flights on my Shock this weekend... and I have a flap question.

I had a huge runway, and I only used about 40 degrees of flaps.... and it was floating. Are most of you guys running down to 70 or 80 degrees to slow it down? At my home field... I need to clear trees, and drop in.

Just an FYI.... I have mine balanced at around 2.5", and it lands prefect. I can ride the mains. (when I don't bounce it. LOL)
Old 09-29-2013, 04:06 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try crow. It's a lot of fun to play with. I put it on a spring loaded switch.

With crow and as much flap as I could get, I could dive straight down and land in 50 foot or less.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:06 AM
Dr Honda

Originally Posted by jonkoppisch
Try crow. It's a lot of fun to play with. I put it on a spring loaded switch.

With crow and as much flap as I could get, I could dive straight down and land in 50 foot or less.
I have a little crow mixed in. I think I just needed to drop more flap. Next time out... I'll play with it.

Anyway.... here's what mine looks like. I had to get rid of the UGLY canopy, and pilot. Every time I saw it... I thought of the old Peck Polymer's Bell and mini bell... or the CG Falcon 56. (that's my little CMP T-45 with a Wren 44 in it)

Click image for larger version

Name:	P9282762_zps6f0d6482.jpg
Views:	107
ID:	2235147

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.