Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

How Much Oil Do You Run In Your 4stroke Glow Engine??

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

How Much Oil Do You Run In Your 4stroke Glow Engine??

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 05:33 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: How Much Oil Do You Run In Your 4stroke Glow Engine??

Yes sir, I know, I ran my Saito .80, Saito 1.50 and Enya .46MKII for two seasons on Fox fuel with 20% castor. Same deal here, no build up I did recently replace the cam drive bearing in the Enya .46. The rest are still original. I'll bet if you push the piston down you can still see the hone marks on the cylinder.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:53 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Yes Hobbsy, it still has hone marks in the hardened (nitrided?) steel liner. Great engine!
Old 07-20-2013, 05:58 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We push SIG 15% Champion with 20% oil in our store for use with RC Car engines and I see no oil related engine problems in the cars we have sold and serviced. Not a single engine has come back seized , busted or burn up.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:14 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use magnum 20 20 with no problems so far but eyes wide open on the thread"
Old 07-20-2013, 10:07 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

We push SIG 15% Champion with 20% oil in our store for use with RC Car engines and I see no oil related engine problems in the cars we have sold and serviced. Not a single engine has come back seized , busted or burn up.
I break my car engines in on 16-18% oil but drop off to 10-12% oil after a half gallon or so. The engines do not wind up as well on high oil fuel. Try running some 8% oil fuel versus some 18% oil fuel and you'll see easily a 500rpm difference; if not more.

You have to be really good with the needle if you're going to run 8% oil though; there isn't much room for error here...
Old 07-21-2013, 01:24 AM
Dicky Knee

I run 5% nitro with 20 % coolpower synthetic in my 55AX and the same fuel  blend  in my OS 72 Alpha with no ill affects to either engine.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:33 AM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

I live in a ot climate.

It is mid winter where I am. I could fly wearing only my swim shorts and sandals if I wanted

My fuel is 10% Klotz synth; 10% castor oil, and balance methanol. No nitro-methane. I mix my own fuel and my engines run just fine. No flame-outs and good throttling. Not using nitro-methane is not an issue. Good tuning and plug selection is important.

Some club mates run fuel with full synth low % oil. In the climate we fly in they have suffered all sorts of problems. Many dead sticks and poor tuning.

Adopting a fuel with a full multi-viscosity lubricant in the package (good quality pure castor oil) has solved many of their issues.

This is my experience. I expect cold weather flyers may have a different requirement.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:47 AM
the pope

I agree and where Im from when its hot I fly totally naked . Mind you Ive been banned from 3 clubs already . Cant figure out why . Cheers from the pope
Old 07-21-2013, 01:57 AM
fiery

Flying in one's bithday suit? That must amuse your Eminence's loyal flying subjects
Old 07-21-2013, 05:45 AM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I run 20/20 in my Saito 2.20 The saito owners manuel says to run at least 18 percent oil and up to 30 on the nitro. It runs cooler.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:02 AM
JPMacG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the motivation to run lower amounts of oil? Is the motivation to save money or to get more power.... or both?
Old 07-21-2013, 06:29 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: JPMacG

What is the motivation to run lower amounts of oil? Is the motivation to save money or to get more power.... or both?
Probably both. I know a lot of commercial fuels dont have 18% lube even, whether its 'needed' or not remains to be seen. I come from the belief of "throw as much oil at an engine as it will run well on". I run 25% oil in my lapped and bushed engines and they actually picked up a couple hundred rpm. Probably because the extra oil which is incompressible, raises the compression ratio slightly..?

Less oil = more combustible fuel = more power at the sacrifice of lubrication. Add more nitro and you get more volume of oil through and can get away with less oil by volume.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:33 AM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: the pope

I agree and where Im from when its hot I fly totally naked . Mind you Ive been banned from 3 clubs already . Cant figure out why . Cheers from the pope

Hey, watch that turning prop when you bend over[X(]
Old 07-21-2013, 06:46 AM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Less oil = more combustible fuel = more power at the sacrifice of lubrication. Add more nitro and you get more volume of oil through and can get away with less oil by volume.
Actually the volume of oil remains somewhat constant as the lower % of oil @ the richer needle setting required W/higher nitro concentrtions will essentially deliver the same amount of oil "volume".

Just to clarify the terminology.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:52 AM
jeffie8696

"You have to be really good with the needle if you're going to run 8% oil though; there isn't much room for error here"That's why we push the higher oil content, most guys are not too hip on setting the needles properly.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:58 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

Actually the volume of oil remains somewhat constant as the lower % of oil @ the richer needle setting required W/higher nitro concentrtions will essentially deliver the same amount of oil ''volume''.

Just to clarify the terminology.
Let me clarify what I meant by my last post. You will have more oil going through the engine using 15% nitro than you would on 5% nitro. This is assuming the oil content is the same between the two fuels. I would think tripling the nitro content would allow you to halve the oil content to get roughly the same oil volume between the two fuel examples. I'll have to dig up Downunders posts where he talked about oil volume passing through the engine using a given fuel.

My assumptions are just that, so I'll try to verify those figures so I can have the right info out there.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:31 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive seen the same issue as FNQ with engines that run better with some castor , that's one of the reasons why Im a convert . As for running high lube content which = less power I read that its so negligible u don't need to worry about it . Most don't run flat out all the time anyway , want more power jam a bigger engine in there. Is the reason that people use low oil that there tightwads ? Whoes gonna have 3 or 4 different oil blends for different size engines ? Then theres different nitro blends so in the end you could have 6 different cans of juice . Not me but whatever !Yet to wear a engine out and it doesn't look like its gonna happen anytime soon . Cheers
I am not a tightwad there bud its called experience, my choice, and my hobby. LOL I can do as I like. I am always looking for performance. less oil means more power, better transition and better idle so why not do it. plus I don't have to wipe as much off of my plane.

try some 12 or 14% oil some time in your engine then try 20% oil and see if you have a 500 rpm increase..
Old 07-21-2013, 01:35 PM
airraptor

I break my car engines in on 16-18% oil but drop off to 10-12% oil after a half gallon or so. The engines do not wind up as well on high oil fuel. Try running some 8% oil fuel versus some 18% oil fuel and you'll see easily a 500rpm difference; if not more.

You have to be really good with the needle if you're going to run 8% oil though; there isn't much room for error here...

Quick I agree.

Jeffie8696 the reason you push that high oil is because most of your customers are new or not very experienced with running engines in cars. it saves them the hassle and saves you repair work. good all around but not for max performance...
Old 07-21-2013, 01:37 PM
airraptor

ORIGINAL: fiery

I live in a ot climate.

It is mid winter where I am. I could fly wearing only my swim shorts and sandals if I wanted

My fuel is 10% Klotz synth; 10% castor oil, and balance methanol. No nitro-methane. I mix my own fuel and my engines run just fine. No flame-outs and good throttling. Not using nitro-methane is not an issue. Good tuning and plug selection is important.

Some club mates run fuel with full synth low % oil. In the climate we fly in they have suffered all sorts of problems. Many dead sticks and poor tuning.

Adopting a fuel with a full multi-viscosity lubricant in the package (good quality pure castor oil) has solved many of their issues.

This is my experience. I expect cold weather flyers may have a different requirement.

Fiery this is a good point also. for the OP what may work well in one area may not be suited to another area. run what the locals are running and then move up or down from there for your needs.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:41 PM
airraptor

dang I guess i should have read the whole thread lol. Everything I said was already said on the second page.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:44 PM
SrTelemaster150

''You have to be really good with the needle if you're going to run 8% oil though; there isn't much room for error here''That's why we push the higher oil content, most guys are not too hip on setting the needles properly.

I agree, but I'm not running glow ignition so the risk is considerably less. Unlike glow ignition the timing of the ignition event W/CDI won't vary due to changing A/F ratios, temperatures, etc. Also, W/CDI, the needle setting is "flat" for quite a range on the peak. (when the LSN is set properly) Usually there is 1/4 to 1/3 turn of the needle where there is no change in RPM as you lean the HSN out. I lean out the HSN past the max RPM point then back off to max RPM @ the richest setting of the aformentioned flat spot..

In the case of the 8% lube experiment? Since the nitro content was 30% the volume of fuel/lube mixture going through the engine was greater than W/15% nitro. Richer needle setting = more oil when the % of lube is constant.

I would feel comfortable W/10% lube W/15% or less nitro when CDI is employed.

Let me be clear before the flaming starts. W/glow ignition (GI) I would not go below the standard 17% lube Cool Power on the medium/large Saito engines. Saito recommends Cool Power so I stick W/a recommneded fuel mix when running GI.

That is also what I normally use in my CDI fired Saito engines. If I was in an area where I could get bulk methanol, then I would mix a 10% Klotz mix & might even try 0% nitro to see if the power was still up to stock GI spec's W/15% nitro.

10% lube W/0% nitro in a CDI fired Saito enngine would have vastly improved fuel economy over GI W/15% nitro. The lower the nitro the leaner the needle setting, the better the fuel economy. Even W/15% Cool Power my fuel consumtion drops by 20% (about 25% longer run time on a given volume of fuel) when CDI is emplyed.

My tests so far have resulted in about 6% m ore power over GI W/CDI using 15% Cool Power & my baseline power W/that same fuel & I has been very close to Saito's HP claims, usually within + or - 1/10 HP . I have achived similar results W/every Saito engine that I have run on both GI & CDI when the ignition timing was set @ the peak power value, usually around 34° BTDC.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

I run 18% synthetic and 2% caster.

Usually buy one gallon of 30% heli fuel nitro and 10% plane nitro at the local hobby shop and mix them together for the 20% nitro then add the extra caster.

Did that mainly for my YS engines by all my OS and Saito run equally well on the mix.

Looks like crap as the 30% heli is pink and the 10% is green and after they are combined turns brown, but as i said, never had an issue running that for ten years now.

Bill S.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:21 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (29)

30% Helli fuel. 4 cycles love nitro and that extra oil makes a nice smoke stream
Old 07-21-2013, 04:23 PM
the pope

ORIGINAL: fiery

Flying in one's bithday suit? That must amuse your Eminence's loyal flying subjects
It certainly sorts out the true believers . Cheers
Old 07-21-2013, 04:34 PM
the pope

ORIGINAL: airraptor

Ive seen the same issue as FNQ with engines that run better with some castor , that's one of the reasons why Im a convert . As for running high lube content which = less power I read that its so negligible u don't need to worry about it . Most don't run flat out all the time anyway , want more power jam a bigger engine in there. Is the reason that people use low oil that there tightwads ? Whoes gonna have 3 or 4 different oil blends for different size engines ? Then theres different nitro blends so in the end you could have 6 different cans of juice . Not me but whatever !Yet to wear a engine out and it doesn't look like its gonna happen anytime soon . Cheers
I am not a tightwad there bud its called experience, my choice, and my hobby. LOL I can do as I like. I am always looking for performance. less oil means more power, better transition and better idle so why not do it. plus I don't have to wipe as much off of my plane.

try some 12 or 14% oil some time in your engine then try 20% oil and see if you have a 500 rpm increase..
If you want to drop your oil content Im more than happy in fact Im delighted for you . If I was into pylon with their some what disposable engines I might even try the same . When I spend $400+ on a 4stroke give me more oil anyday . I never new I had bad idle and bad transition but thanks for enlightening me . If you want less oil on your plane go electric . Most of my planes top speed is limited not by topend power but aerodynamic efficiency. Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.