Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

How Much Oil Do You Run In Your 4stroke Glow Engine??

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

How Much Oil Do You Run In Your 4stroke Glow Engine??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 04:38 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How Much Oil Do You Run In Your 4stroke Glow Engine??

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

ORIGINAL: the pope

I agree and where Im from when its hot I fly totally naked . Mind you Ive been banned from 3 clubs already . Cant figure out why . Cheers from the pope

Hey, watch that turning prop when you bend over[X(]
Got more chance of the prop hitting my fat guts than the tallywhacker !!!! but thanks for concern . Defiantly be micro surgery . Cheers
Old 07-22-2013, 04:35 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And here's me thinking i'd never hate a catholic
Old 07-22-2013, 06:12 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Old Fart

And here's me thinking i'd never hate a catholic
It is always risky to publicly discuss religion and oil content!!

Not because of having vast engine experience, but because I wanted to try it: I run 20% nitro/ 20% all synthetic on my 4-strokes with good results. I was concerned with castor gumming up the valvetrain in my 4-strokes and wary of synthetic oil not providing enough lubrication, so I went with 20% oil. Since I have that much oil, it made sense to need more nitro to make up for the oil. So, 20/20/60 for my 4-strokes (YS/Saito blend is printed on my fuel bottle, Rich's Brew brand).

For 2-strokes I run 5% nitro, 18% synth with a little castor added by myself for safety. Eventually, I will try without adding the extra castor to see what happens.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:54 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Stan at S&W once told me that his standard aircraft fuel consisting of 2% castor, 18% synthetic is intended to provide the advantages of castor without enough castor content to cause varnish/gumming/carbon problems. I can't say from personal experience whether that is true or not - I have run too many different fuels in my engines to reach any conclusion.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:35 AM
hsukaria

That's what I was hoping to achieve with the minimal castor content on my 2-strokes. I got this idea from others in RCU. Seems good so far.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:40 AM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I try to run 20% lube in all engines whether they are four or two stroke engines.  I always have Castor oil in the brew.  I usually get commercial fuel that has 17 or 18% total oil and add Castor to it to bring it up to 20%.

The exception is YS four strokes and I use all synthetic but still at a 20% level of oil in the fuel.

I generally run 10 to 15% Nitro in the fuel.  My Magnum (ASP) engines get by just fine on 10% Nitro, all others I use 15% Nitro fuel.  Exception again is the YS four stroke and I use 20% Nitro.  This fuel is generally known here as a 20/20 mix.