Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM F6F Hellcat Info?

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM F6F Hellcat Info?

Old 07-20-2013, 10:40 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: ESM F6F Hellcat Info?

Hay RBean,
It would be nice if you would be able to fly tomorrow...and I'm going to fly tomorrow too. A lot depends on the winds with me too, but I've my F6F and gear all charged and ready to go. If all goes ok tomorrow...I'm going to try that 3 bladed prop too.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 07-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Bob Paris

Hay RBean,
It would be nice if you would be able to fly tomorrow...and I'm going to fly tomorrow too. A lot depends on the winds with me too, but I've my F6F and gear all charged and ready to go. If all goes ok tomorrow...I'm going to try that 3 bladed prop too.

The throttle on my PTE 36 isn't linear either and I'm going to try to put in a throttle curve on my Tx. I did install an extension throttle arm on my engine carburetor, the red one, T.B.M. sells. It helps but not a perfect answer...at least with my set up. But its also a new engine and looking to get it broken in fist, before I start tweaking the needle valves.

I had a couple of issues on my first flight too...and about par for the course. At least my issues were not critical and that is what really mattered. New models can be like that...and lucky you found that loose flap hinge. I lost a model that had one side flap fail...and it rotated so fast and went in...it was all over before I could hardly blink an eye.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 07-21-2013, 03:57 PM
Bob Paris

Hi Guys,
I was able to fly again today and really happy with the end result. My PTE 36 ran much better and it seemed to like the M. Airscrew Scimitar 18x10. I did lean the engine a bit on the high-speed needle valve and this also helped. The transition on this engine just amazes me and its smooth. I flew for ten minutes and had more then a 1/2 tank left when I landed.

When I got at the flying field, the winds were normal easterlies @5~10 kts. As soon as I took off and got airborne, the winds doubled in force. This wind was a bit turbulent, so I got to altitude...and set up my first approach. I wasn't sure how long it would take to get a decent approach to landing...so all I flew were approaches. My thinking being, if I made a serviceable approach...I would land. I tried with 1/2 flaps, full flaps and no flaps. I found I like how my approaches with no flaps in windy conditions...and how I ended up landing. On my sixth approach, she settled real sweet and very happy with the result. I just had to keep the power up and fly her down to the runway. I did do a couple of high speed passes, then settled down to get the F6F down in one piece.

One of our club members flew a new Midwest T6 for the fist time. The man built a stunning model and flew superbly. You do not see to man kit built models today and this one was near perfect.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42858.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1902791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67841.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1902792  
Old 07-21-2013, 08:46 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maiden flight today with the Hellcat. The engine started ok, controls checked again. Take off was ok, right rudder needed but not real bad. The engine seemed to surging on the high end so most of the flight was at half throttle. needed some right trim. Gear up cause pitch up which was expected because of the change in the cg. Little pitch change with flaps extended. Stall with flaps and gear down came at a low speed with some roll to the left, but didn't snap, was fairly gentle. The plane was trying to roll left with flaps down. Landing was fairly slow and not difficult.

The left roll with flaps down was because someone didn't have the flaps exactly the same. Adjustment was made. 5% down elevators mixed with gear up.

Aired up gear again, checked battery. Started ok. Take off was ok. Trim better with flaps down. Maybe a very slight tendency to roll left. However engine surging worst on high end. I had richened high needle some. Made it worst. Landed with flaps but after the plane was on the ground would slow much, ran off the end of the runway into the corn. Left wing had a two inch tear in the leading edge from a corn stalk. It turns out the throttle servo was gimpy. It would go all the way down to idle if pull back quickly but a gradual reduction resulted in not full movement, so the engine didn't slow down enough on landing. I could tell the plane wasn't slowing down enough, but was afraid to go around with the engine surging at full throttle. Replaced the throttle servo and repaired wing. The hardest part will be matching the color.

Name:	Fd90619.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1902905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13365.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	1902906  
Old 07-22-2013, 08:13 AM
Bob Paris

RBean,
I'm sorry to hear you had an issue with your throttle servo and damaged you model. On my last gas model (a .60~.90 size big stick), I had a throttle servo do the same. It would act up and cause my engine to surge. I have an engine cut off (throttle cut) feature with my Tx...it will bring the servo to full low throttle position and kill the engine. Even with my throttle servo going nuts...this feature did bring the throttle to full throttle off position and killed the engine. I set my self up on down wind...then hit the throttle cut button I had set up on my throttle. An ignition kill switch, Tx operated would have been the ticket for you.

Please do show pictures of your repair to your wing.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 07-22-2013, 01:18 PM
RBean

I've got in all repaired except for paint to match. I've read that you can get small quantities of "sample" paint at Home Depot. I'll try that when I get back in town. Will be gone for six days on business. Only the leading edge and skin sheeting were damaged. No damage to ribs or spar so the repair was simple and easy.

Since I already have to get the dark blue and the off white I may as will get the medium blue and repaint the cowl since I don't particularly care for the teeth etc. I know a squadron had that on their planes but I don't think it looks good on a Hellcat.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:53 AM
BubbasanJohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the maiden RBean and I'm glad you got it all fixed up.    

Bobby I've been away but it sounds  like you got your cat pretty well sorted out.  Love the pics of your field.  Ok got to run again.  Work schedule Is killer this time of year.  .  
Old 07-25-2013, 08:27 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Bubba John,
I put my F6F in the air today...and we were blessed with 2~5 mph winds down the runway. Take offs were a straight and predictable. I just fed in power slowly and consistently and by the time the tail came off the ground, I had about 60% power in. Once the tail was off the ground, I fed in throttle until I hit the stops. Lift off was solid and a good 30 deg. angle too. My engine is beginning to come into its own and I feel the model has more pull. I'm still feeling the model out, but todays landings were about as sweet as can be. All wheel landings and near perfect. I am really getting to love these Sierra retracts, for they really help to make you look good.

I've been having trouble getting the RCXL Tx on/off ignition kill switch to work. I've tried to reset my Tx channel throws to max, checked everything I can, but still I am not able to it to work. All I get is a dead engine, with the light on and stumped. I wonder if the unit is bad...or I'm not setting up my Tx properly. I just don't know, but I'll work on it some more before I pull the unit out of my Hell Cat. There are other brands out there, but at $15.00...cheap insurance.

My PTE 36R is running so good and solid, I've no worries anymore. The idle is rock solid and low enough...the model sits still on our hard surfaced runway. Transition is linear and no hesitation, all the way up to full power. I'm using a Master AirScrew Scimitar 18x10 two bladed wood prop. Right now, it pulls better then the 19x8 I was using on my first flights and I'm going to stick with this prop for now. I do plan on putting my scale 3 bladed prop on to fly...but right now, I need a bit more stick time on the model.

Bubba...have you ever dead stick landed your F6F ? And if you have, what happened and how did the landing come out ? I'm going to have to begin to practice this in the next flights...just in case I end up with a engine out situation. But with low idle...only. The engine seems to run quite well in my cowl and the extra openings I made in the cowl ring seem to have really helped to keep the engine cool enough, to run smoothly. I fly at 75% power most the time, or a bit lower in power. The only time I have the engine at full power is on take off, and some aerobatic maneuvers. I'm told I need to get a good 3~5 hours of run time, to full break in the engine. I've only 1.5 hours run time right now.

I'm going to fly Saturday... : )

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Mauii
Old 08-06-2013, 07:04 PM
RBean

I got my wing fixed and painted. Home Depot matched the paint, used flat exterior latex. When I got back in town, I richened up a little. Flew again. Engine still acting up. I was able to land ok. Trying to roll left with flaps down. I adjusted flaps. Also did mix with a little up elevator with gear down. I finally sorted out engine problem. The high speed jet was partially clogged. Flew again today three times. Still turning left some with flaps down. The flaps looks and measure even. I'll just put in a little right aileron mix with flaps down. The G-38 is turning the 18-10 Xoar prop 7,700 rpm +. The G-38 is plenty of power for this airplane. I think enough so I can try a three blade prop. I have an RCGF 18-8 three blade. It turns 6,700 rpm. I think an Xoar 18-8 which has narrower and thinner blades would probably turn 7,000 rpm or better. Cost $75. I may try one. I've got pictures of the plane with the three blade prop but I don't know how to post pictures in this new format.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:25 PM
RBean

Name:	100_1744.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1905684   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1742.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1905685  
Old 08-07-2013, 08:50 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Bud, Great looking model and when do you plan to take her up? Let us know and show us a few pictures. Bobby of Maui
Old 08-08-2013, 05:17 AM
RBean

I went ahead and ordered the Xoar 18-8 three blade prop from Valley View RC. The prop is expensive, about $75.00, $65 with a $10 discount. With the Sierra gear and 4.5" wheels this plane shows no tendency to nose over on our grass field, so I feel fairly safe getting the expensive prop. This plane come out to about 1/7 scale. Where can I find a 1/7 scale US Navy WWII pilot? Also I'm going to install gun barrels, and the small front wheel gear doors in the front of the gear. This will require removing and disassembly of the gear to install linkage. Maybe later. Also on the last flights, did some maneuvers and engine sagged going inverted. Gas tank is mounted some what high in relation to the side carb on the G-38. I could only lower the tank 3/8". I'll put 1/8 turn rich on the high needle. Maybe this will fix problem.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:31 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RBean
Also on the last flights, did some maneuvers and engine sagged going inverted. Gas tank is mounted some what high in relation to the side carb on the G-38. I could only lower the tank 3/8". I'll put 1/8 turn rich on the high needle. Maybe this will fix problem.
Running richer isn't the best way to solve a tank problem, if it is a tank problem. You might try placing a small tank in the delivery line close to the engine. Tanks like that were called "chicken hopper" tanks back in the day. They solved tank location problems more often than not.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:42 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Tank position really shouldn't matter with a pumped Walbro carb. It might simply be a bit lean.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:03 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

RBEAN I used the top of an Aces of Iron pilot and the bottom half of a Century Jet pilot.

Name:	I phone 012.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	1906565   Click image for larger version

Name:	I phone 034.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	1906567  

Last edited by tevans55; 08-09-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:30 PM
RBean

I think I have my engine problem solved. I was using a Walbro in tank filter that was for engines under 30cc. I eliminated the filter went to 5/32 size line to the carb. Now it seems to run ok and can hold the plane straight up and does not sag. Good idle, good transition and good top end. Hopefully will be ok when it flies. The last time I flew the plane, it was all trimmed out and mixes good.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:16 PM
RBean

I got one good flight with the engine running good. Then the next day the engine started acting up again. I've ordered a new carb. Can't think of what else to do. Anyway, the plane itself is trimmed up and flying good. Takes right rudder on takeoff to keep her straight but not too bad. I added one washer's worth of right engine offset. This seems about right. Landings are fairly easy for a warbird. I think the Sierra gear help a lot.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:39 PM
RBean

I got the new carb I ordered. Installed. Engine, after priming started right up. Ran good. Good idle, good response and mid range and good top end. Also ran good wide open holding plane vertical, upside down etc. I think it's fixed now. Maybe I can fly tomorrow. Also tried an 18-8 3 blade Xoar prop. It turns 6,800 rpm. The Xoar 2 blade 18-10 turns 7,250-7300 rpm. Looks good with the 3 blade, just don't know how much performance will be lost. I'm not sure of the power curve on the G-38. Most gas engines this size get max power at around 8,000 to 8,500 rpm. The two blade should be in the ball park but the 3 blade might be a little slow even unloaded.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:42 AM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

No gas engines that size sweet spot is in the high 6000s to low 7s. Unless the engine is mod for racing only then such high numbers may be seek. In stock form going that high is just wasting power.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:06 PM
RBean

91-Zulu, thinks, that is what I thought. Flew the Hellcat again. Engine was running ok at first then started surging. I was able to land ok but put a hole in bottom wing covering (went off R/W). No big deal, easy to patch. My "experts" at the field claim the engine is over heating, the the G-38 engine needs more air than other engines. Since he has been flying one for 8-9 yrs, maybe he knows. I'm going to redo the mounting system for the cowl, open up the cowl flaps to get more air flowing through. I've probably got 1 to 1 or maybe 1.5 to 1 in exit area over entering area, I going to try to make it at least 2 to 1. I may add a little weight to the front to compensate for the cowl weight and fly with the cowl off to see how it does.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:55 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RBean
I'm going to redo the mounting system for the cowl, open up the cowl flaps to get more air flowing through. I've probably got 1 to 1 or maybe 1.5 to 1 in exit area over entering area, I going to try to make it at least 2 to 1. I may add a little weight to the front to compensate for the cowl weight and fly with the cowl off to see how it does.
Quite often, what is needed is baffling. Hot air is harder to move than cool air. So all the cool air coming into the cowl will go around the hot air that's around the engine. All that cool air will then max out the outlets, making it even harder for the hot air to get out.

Full scale Hellcats, Corsairs, and Thunderbolts had baffles that pretty much closed off the intake opening except where the jugs were. What air that could get into that big hole had to squeeze between the fins. Of course, two sets of cylinders do a pretty decent job of filling that opening. We don't have that luxury.

We usually have only one cylinder, so around 300degrees of opening is allowing cool air into the cowl. That is more than sufficient to use up way more than whatever outlet area you can create.

The black stuff you see is 1/2" rigid pink foam insulation board painted black. The engine ran like crap until I took the 20 minutes to stick that baffle in the hole.

Name:	08-09-11 015.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	1911315  
Old 08-22-2013, 04:51 PM
RBean

da rock, it is going to be real difficult puting a baffle in as it is a magneto ignition with the flywheel/fan up front and no space between the dummy engine and magneto coil. In fact I installed the dummy as much to block some of the intake air as for scale look. Also I discovered that the engine was running too lean. I have richened it up about a quarter turn. Max rpm was about 7,500 now about 7,250 to 7,300 with that adjustment. I think between more rich and more outlet air I will be ok.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:53 PM
RBean

I thought I had the engine fixed, flew the Hellcat again and engine started acting up again. I was able to land ok. Finally took engine off and dissembled. I think it was sucking air into the crank case through the front and rear seals. Ordered new seals and bearings. However, I'm still happy with the plane. It flys good and at 18.3 lbs lands relatively slow with full flaps. I did however re do to cowl mounting to get rid of the ring inside which was blocking a lot of exit air. More cooling can't hurt. But I think the problem was the leaking seals not the running hot. I hope.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:29 PM
RBean

I received my new parts and installed new seals and bearings. I think the bearings were ok but they are only $4 each and while in there might as well replace them. The engine started and ran ok. Ran ok while plane held vertical at full throttle. Flew twice today. Engine ran ok. The G-38 is enough but the plane is not over powered. I even got the flaps adjusted where no mix is need for the roll. One flap had more travel than the other. Adjusted one out on the horn and the other in a little and that fixed the problem. I did a roll and no sagging. I think I have the engine problem fixed. Next I will try the Xoar 18-8 three blade prop.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:02 PM
Bob Paris

Has anybody done any flying with their F6F lately...?

I managed to get a stress crack in my right ankle and I'm grounded for a while... !$#^&. Its a really old injury and it took the local saw-bones in the V.A. only two years to figure out what was wrong with my ankle. So I'm in a cast for a few months. I've hung my F6F up on the ceiling in my garage and just dreaming about flying her again. My last flight was so beautiful, with a landing so smooth, I was stunned. You just gotta love those Sierra Retracts.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.