SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 09:10 PM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

ORIGINAL: w8ye

It is usually the sensor is taken out by a bad spark plug cap
I'm curious why that takes out the hall sensor. Seems like it would damage the discarge output capacitor or something in the high voltage end. Jim, or anyone?
Old 07-22-2013, 02:54 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Not an expert either, but I'm assuming that in the case where the hall sensor is taken out by anything to do with the cap, that the cap has/was not grounded properly, causing the spark to try and use a ground path through the hall sensor? If the cap were grounded, I don't get how the hall sensor might be taken out either.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:12 AM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The caps are pretty tough and they don't care much about where the energy they stored goes during their discharge.If the ground is lost on the spark plug cap, the high-voltage charge that should go to the plug, to ground, then back to the module to complete the circuit, will try to find another path to ground and will take "the path of least resistance" wherever that may be. The designer of the module gets to either ignore the possibility of the plug cap ground being absent, or design an “alternate path†to discharge the high-voltage to ground and protect the other module components. It is cheaper and easier for the designer to just put a warning in the module instructions to “make sure the plug is grounded†rather than fix the problem. Unfortunately, a lot of the hobby stuff cannot be made "bullet-proof" and economical at the same time.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:10 AM
Ernie Misner

Good info, thanks. Any idea why they don't just "ground the whole engine" like automobile engines do? ... instead of grounding through the plug cap? Seems more reliable.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:41 AM
Joystick TX

Yes, I do; it would make the ground less reliable and more costly. The goal is to have a short and simple ground return to keep electrical noise from the ignition from interfering with the radio receiver. It is less of a problem now that we have the 2.4 Mhz radio systems, but it is still a consideration. Grounding the engine requires more parts and connections, more parts = more cost and problems.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Ernie Misner

Thanks Steve. Grounding the whole engine would probably require a more robust and heavier ignition too.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:18 PM
gordonhmc
My Feedback: (2)

I have been running a syssa for 4 years and the best thing I did was change the battery PAC to a 2C lipo and use a 10amp Castle bec the Idle was a lot smother and lower and on the high end it turns 9400 with a 18.5 x 5.5 and a tuned Mac pipe hope this helps
Old 07-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I emailed Syssa the other day to ask if he had a chance to look at my engine. Todd got back with me the next day and gave me a tracking number and said the engine is on it's way back. I have nothing to complain about. Service was good.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:28 PM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

It's been established that Syssa has two different policies when it comes to customer service;

1) They take good care of customers who need parts and/or repairs on existing engines...answering emails & turning around orders/repairs promptly

2) They show contempt to those of us who have pre-PAID for new engines...ignoring every polite request for the most basic update or ETA on our orders

Problem is, given what's happening with #2, they soon won't have to bother about #1.

ORIGINAL: Zippi

I emailed Syssa the other day to ask if he had a chance to look at my engine. Todd got back with me the next day and gave me a tracking number and said the engine is on it's way back. I have nothing to complain about. Service was good.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:44 AM
kfla

What he said!!!! NAIL ON THE HEAD!!! and I spend/spent ALOT of $$$$ on this hobby Just ask my wife My only fear, is that someday
she'll sell everything for what I told her it cost []
Old 07-30-2013, 04:34 PM
dlenginesaustralia

ORIGINAL: Deandome

It's been established that Syssa has two different policies when it comes to customer service;

1) They take good care of customers who need parts and/or repairs on existing engines...answering emails & turning around orders/repairs promptly

2) They show contempt to those of us who have pre-PAID for new engines...ignoring every polite request for the most basic update or ETA on our orders

Problem is, given what's happening with #2, they soon won't have to bother about #1.

We gave up on point 2, because we find the same issue for #1 as well, customers engines under warranty and no communication etc. So to me seems more selective than that they just communicate with some and not others for no good reason. All I need is a one line email with an ETA or update, seems like that is too much to ask.
So we just set the engines free (back to magical syssa land) then hope they fly back home one day.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:51 PM
dlenginesaustralia

ORIGINAL: dlenginesaustralia

ORIGINAL: Deandome

We gave up on point 2, because we find the same issue for #1 as well, customers engines under warranty and no communication etc. So to me seems more selective than that they just communicate with some and not others for no good reason. All I need is a one line email with an ETA or update, seems like that is too much to ask.
So we just set the engines free (back to magical syssa land) then hope they fly back home one day.
Well Good news, we finally heard back from Todd last night to say the warranty engines are on the way back to us
Old 08-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Zippi

dlenginesaustralia,

Glad to hear your getting your engines back. I contacted todd about the engine stand off's if have. I snapped a bolt off down inside one stand off. Couldn't find them on the website to order. Todd shipped me one out with no charge. Once again I've got to say for me, customer service has been great.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:23 PM
JohnB96041

His customer service has been great for me, also. Ordered one item and had it in my hands in one week. Great service and quick. Thanks to those working for and with Todd.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:03 AM
kfla

Has anyone heard anything about the V2 engines? and when they might be shipped out?
Old 08-02-2013, 04:34 AM
MikeAndersonCA

ORIGINAL: gordonhmc

I have been running a syssa for 4 years and the best thing I did was change the battery PAC to a 2C lipo and use a 10amp Castle bec the Idle was a lot smother and lower and on the high end it turns 9400 with a 18.5 x 5.5 and a tuned Mac pipe hope this helps
with the cc bec set to what voltage?

Old 09-11-2013, 02:13 AM
tele1974

Any one have one of the new Syssa mufflers they would like to trade for a 50cc Supersonic pitts muffler.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:02 PM
tele1974

I took a first place in intermediate in pattern with my Syssa powered Venus II at the Tom Bret memorial pattern contest last weekend. This is my third season on the motor. Practicing for intermediate I can't say how many flights I have on it. It would probably be easier to count the gallons of fuel through it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1595.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	1923310   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130908_093704.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	3.86 MB
ID:	1923311  

Last edited by tele1974; 09-19-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:16 PM
Scooterpilot
My Feedback: (5)

Congrat's on first place.... Syassa motor is working well for you.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:06 AM
Joystick TX

Patrick, way to go! Pattern is a tough event.

On another note: I noticed that RCU finally made the "Gallery" and "My Models" easier to find. Looks like they got serious about this new program.

Last edited by Joystick TX; 09-20-2013 at 03:09 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:31 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Congratulations on your success and best wishes for your future endeavours.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:04 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Last time I flew my Rascal 110 with a new version Syssa 30cc (V2 I believe) it started easily, ran well on the ground and flew the plane fine for the first 5 minutes in the air. Air temperature at the field was around 75 degrees.

Then it started to bog down at mid to high throttle and then it died. On the ground after a long dead stick landing, the engine was still quite warm. I pulled the cowl off and started the engine easily again. I tried to richen the high needle but it would not get richer at all.

Back home I pulled the carb and opened it up, looking for trash in the screen. There was a small amount of slime but no more than 10% of the screen surface covered. Some carb cleaner fixed that. Back together, the engine still would not richen up much.

Yes, the fuel tank lines are solid, and no bubbles in the feed line.

Any ideas?
Old 09-20-2013, 06:27 AM
pgmeyer

Once the slime is present, it is in all the internal fuel paths in the carb block. Not sure what causes it, but the last time it happened to me I sent the engine back and the carb was replaced. Since then I only run non- ethanol high test for all my engines. I found a gas station that sells it and have had no trouble since then.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:04 AM
Zippi

Originally Posted by pettit
Last time I flew my Rascal 110 with a new version Syssa 30cc (V2 I believe) it started easily, ran well on the ground and flew the plane fine for the first 5 minutes in the air. Air temperature at the field was around 75 degrees.

Then it started to bog down at mid to high throttle and then it died. On the ground after a long dead stick landing, the engine was still quite warm. I pulled the cowl off and started the engine easily again. I tried to richen the high needle but it would not get richer at all.

Back home I pulled the carb and opened it up, looking for trash in the screen. There was a small amount of slime but no more than 10% of the screen surface covered. Some carb cleaner fixed that. Back together, the engine still would not richen up much.

Yes, the fuel tank lines are solid, and no bubbles in the feed line.

Any ideas?
Dick,
I had issues with my carb not drawing fuel. Todd had me send it back and he sent me a new carb (Tiltson) that is being used now. Mine runs fine as well on the ground but in the air after about 3 min it would get hot and die. Runs fine without the cowl. I think the space is too confined in the engine compartment with the rear exhaust. May have to put this engine on another plane and look for a replacement that can take the heat.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:31 PM
JeffinTD

When I set up mine in a Rascal 110 I had it tuned a bit rich from peak with good idle and transition on the ground. After a few minutes in the air it would get boggy and die. I richened up the high end a bit at a time and now it is great.

Bottom line- it seems to run much leaner in the air than it does on the ground.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.