Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great planes ultimate 160

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great planes ultimate 160

Old 07-14-2013, 09:50 PM
PropsnWings
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great planes ultimate 160

So what all does Great Planes have to offer now? Or is it just nobody is buying ? 

Just seems sad to see such a good design come to an end. 
Old 07-15-2013, 07:26 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8 years is a long run for an ARF. I don't think they'll be able to top the Ultimate.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:39 AM
PropsnWings

That's why I have taken back to builder kits and scratch building.... 

I better inventory my Ultimate box and make sure I have everything, while I can still get parts. 
Old 07-18-2013, 11:30 PM
rowdyjoe

During the servo swap between the elevator and aileron I discovered a bad servo extension. I thought Ihad noticed some unwanted control movement while tuning the engine the other night and a bad connection or bad servo extension can definately cause it. I removed the offending extension and replaced it with a new one and the problem has gone away. Everything moves as it should now but, I need to run the engine again to see if I'm still getting ignition interference.

Pardon my soap box here but, I lost a very nice flying 30% Edge 540 due to undersized wiring. I don't know what caused it to overheat but, the wire overheated and burned through and Iwas suddenly without elevator control. Now, I do not re-use any wiring from a previous installation ....especially a crashed plane. If a used servo checks out under load testing I'll re-use it but, not the extensions or switches. Iuse only heavy gage servo extensions in gas engined airplanes. Idon't trust standard or light duty wires for these birds. Even though Irun my systems at 5 to 6 volts, Iuse heavy gage wires. If you're running high voltage servos (7.4 volt) and anything other than heavy gage extensions you're playing with fire ...literally. Those servos will pull more amps than the wires can handle and will overheat and break down or burn through. Save your plane and use quality wiring.

RJ
Old 07-19-2013, 04:04 AM
2.4ghs
My Feedback: (15)

It is not worth losing a plane over the small skinny wire on servo's or extentions, it is best to always run the heavier gage wire. If you not only run HV servo's you need to think also digital servos will pull a lot more amps, Just sitting on the ground my 1/3 scal pitts will draw almost 9amps just moving sticks so under load it would be more, it is not worth it.
it is just a few pennys more for the heavier gage wire extentions , I have some extentions in planes that are 30" + and have never had an issue even running a 4.8v nmh battery..

ORIGINAL: rowdyjoe

During the servo swap between the elevator and aileron I discovered a bad servo extension. I thought Ihad noticed some unwanted control movement while tuning the engine the other night and a bad connection or bad servo extension can definately cause it. I removed the offending extension and replaced it with a new one and the problem has gone away. Everything moves as it should now but, I need to run the engine again to see if I'm still getting ignition interference.

Pardon my soap box here but, I lost a very nice flying 30% Edge 540 due to undersized wiring. I don't know what caused it to overheat but, the wire overheated and burned through and Iwas suddenly without elevator control. Now, I do not re-use any wiring from a previous installation ....especially a crashed plane. If a used servo checks out under load testing I'll re-use it but, not the extensions or switches. Iuse only heavy gage servo extensions in gas engined airplanes. Idon't trust standard or light duty wires for these birds. Even though Irun my systems at 5 to 6 volts, Iuse heavy gage wires. If you're running high voltage servos (7.4 volt) and anything other than heavy gage extensions you're playing with fire ...literally. Those servos will pull more amps than the wires can handle and will overheat and break down or burn through. Save your plane and use quality wiring.

RJ
Old 07-21-2013, 04:25 PM
Slyder

Go figure. After 5 years of not flying I was thinking of buying another one this winter and recovering it in the Blue Hawk scheme.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:44 PM
PropsnWings

I fly a Goldberg Bluehawk and I love it...it's just not a cloudy day plane due to the dark blue covering. 
Old 07-22-2013, 05:33 AM
iflywhenican
My Feedback: (1)

PW, It seems (to me) that on cloudy days that no matter what color they are, they all turn black.
It saddens me to hear that GP is dropping the Ulti 160 from it's fleet. I have certainly enjoyed mine.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:36 PM
rowdyjoe

Sadly, I have to report that the Ultimate crashed on the first flight yesterday (Thurs). On approach to my second landing attempt the nose suddenly pitch up slightly and then violently dropped straight down. It crashed in from about 20 ft. up and demolished the airframe and broke the carb mount off the engine. I suspect it was a receiver glitch as the installed receiver had been through a crash in one of my other planes. I knew better than to fly with that receiver as it had glitched on the ground during an engine run. I found and replaced a bad servo extension and thought I had fixed the problem but, intended to change the receiver also to make sure. In my haste, I forgot to replace it and ended up destroying a very nice plane.
First flight was going very well although I thought it needed a bit more prop pitch to increase speed. Take-off was very good and it only required about 3 clicks of right aileron. The first landing was a "one bounce" affair and the gear handled it very well with a very controllable 2nd takeoff from the touch and go roll-out. It tracked straight in the air and the engine ran well and the prop pulled well with plenty of vertical. It handled inverted flight with barely a touch of down elevator. Low rates on aileron were not quite enough but, a flip of the switch to high brought them to life and the roll rate was very nice.
I would definitely buy another one but, Tower has discontinued them within the last two weeks. So, unless I can find a place that has one left in stock I won't be able to replace it.
It appears the gremlins are still with me.

RJ
Old 07-26-2013, 04:08 AM
iflywhenican

Sorry about your loss of a very fine plane RJ. I would check with Tower anyway about a replacement. I would almost be sure that they probably have a few left in stock.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:39 AM
PropsnWings

Sorry for the loss of a great biplane. I still have mine in box, and not sure when I will ever get to it. Got way too many to fly now as it is. If it weren't so much to ship, I'd look into selling ( maybe)
Old 11-02-2013, 12:32 PM
DUNCAJ

Smile

Please, Can someone give me the length of the cord on the 160? Have a set of wings looking for a fuse.

Thanks in advance;
James
Old 11-02-2013, 08:33 PM
RonMcCormick
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by DUNCAJ
Please, Can someone give me the length of the cord on the 160? Have a set of wings looking for a fuse.

Thanks in advance;
James
10 7/8" sorry it took so long
Old 12-18-2013, 02:05 AM
StZ

Hi all,

I have bought a second hand Ultimate myself last October and since then I have been reading through all of the 279 pages. I do have one question concerning the power plant to use on the plane. I know most people fly it with 50cc gas. I do not have such an engine available but I do own an OS F200S. Will this engine perform adequately mild 3D stuff or it will be suitable just for flying around? Will it pull the plane out of a hover? I can do some basic 3D but most of my flying it will be free style.

This question has been asked before but it did not have any replies.
Any input will be greatly appreciated.

StZ
Old 12-18-2013, 06:21 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going to venture a quess based on it's Hp rating and prop sizes it would be more than sufficient, probably do 3D well. How well I have no clue but when I ran Nitro, OS was my favorite and usually the motors, especially the four stroke, performed better than rated. Being that you own the engine already I would use it. I have a DLE 55cc in mine and it is ridiculously over powered, I would not hesitate to use that OS as a replacement.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:53 AM
StZ

Originally Posted by acerc
I am going to venture a quess based on it's Hp rating and prop sizes it would be more than sufficient, probably do 3D well. How well I have no clue but when I ran Nitro, OS was my favorite and usually the motors, especially the four stroke, performed better than rated. Being that you own the engine already I would use it. I have a DLE 55cc in mine and it is ridiculously over powered, I would not hesitate to use that OS as a replacement.
Thanks fofr the input acerc.
Anyone else?
Old 12-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Uncas

I am doubtful the FS 200 will be a good 3D engine for the Ultimate. It will probably do sport flying okay but I am not sure it will have much if any punch to pull out of a hover. Since you have it already, I would go ahead and try it, but do not be surprised if it lacked in that area. If you end up disappointed then I would focus on getting a 50cc gaser for it. I run a DA-50R with a 22x8 prop and there is no want for power and the plane not heavily wing loaded.

Good Luck!
Old 01-21-2014, 09:58 AM
Phantom pty

Anyone else Flying this Superb Model ?? Too Bad is dis****inued..

I finally started mine after 2 years out of the hobbie , I am making a comback and tought this would be a nice way to make it back. I got it half way on fuselage and a DA 50 cc waiting for it ready to roll..!! Waiting for some components to arrive like ball links and titanium struts. Also ordered Batteries. Cant wait to get his dare devil in the air .
Old 01-21-2014, 10:08 AM
PropsnWings

I haven't started mine yet. It still sits on box next to some other still in box future projects.

I did buy an extra cowl, pants and a couple other things when it was discontinued. If they still have wings and such in a few weeks I will get me some of those too.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:09 AM
PropsnWings

I am thinking of using a VVRC 40cc twin... I have a DA50 but think the twin would be more than sufficient.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:40 PM
angelob
My Feedback: (10)

I just found this airplane NIB at my local hobby shop...apparently its been sitting in the backroom on hold for someone and the guy decided against it so i snatched it up. I love ultimates - had the Goldberg and the Dave Patrick 120 before this one. Looking forward to building it.

I do have a question regarding hinges that I've been searching for an answer. Concerning Robart hinge pins - are the 1/8" sufficient or do you have to use the 3/16"? The surfaces are only 3/8" thick...

Angelo
Old 01-24-2014, 08:46 AM
iflywhenican

Angelo, Unless you add some wood for the Robarts to grip to, you would be just as well to use the supplied CA hinge material. Cut the hinges 1"x1" You will probably not have enough material, but the material is readily available at your LHS. Just make sure that you keep vibration to a minimum as it is CA hinge's worst enemy. I installed them on my Ultimate and still flying it after all these years with no problems.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:25 AM
Uncas

I originally installed the CA hinges and they have worked fine. But, I have pinned them, in fact I have double pinned them. To increase aileron throw I later cut the CA hinges and installed Robarts. I believe I used the smaller Robarts.They eventually started pulling out and I drove a pin through them after drilling a pilot hole through the aileron and the hinge. I think I bought quite a few different small drill bits to get the pilot hole the right size so it would fit snug but not impossibly tight in the plastic hinge. I needed more throw in the ailerons to stop the torque roll when hovering.

When I say pin them, I mean I use a sewing stick pin. I predrill a small hole, then drive the pin all the way through. I then cut off the tip, drive it the other way and cut the other side of the pin. This is going to sound dumb, but, if you go to a fabric shop like Jo-Anns or whatever, they have an amazing selection of pins with all different sizes and thickness.

Last edited by Uncas; 01-25-2014 at 09:30 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 01-26-2014, 05:21 AM
iflywhenican

Uncas, Pinning the hinges is a very good idea and well worth the effort as I had to do that on a 30% Lanier yak.

When I use the CA hinge material, I locate the "center line" of the hinge and then I use a #2 lead pencil and draw a mark across the hinge on both sides...I make the mark very heavy and then insert them to the center line mark that I just made and apply the CA. The pencil mark seems to keep the hinge more flexible on the center line.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:23 PM
Phantom pty

I am going with Supplied Higes, they look good and Strong. I have a few budies that had this model and all used supplied hinges no problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.