Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCXL gas engine cut off inop...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RCXL gas engine cut off inop...?

I have a PTE 36R engine installed into a ESM F6F. With the RCXL kill switch installed, with the light on...the engine will not start. I've tried to fire up the engine with the units light on and off, and it makes no difference...the engine will not start. If I remove the RCXL kill switch from the ignition system...the engine runs. I'm running two 2300ma, 5 cell (6 volts), in parallel (connected by a "Y" cord) to the ignition system, as a power source.

I've got the RCXL set up so I can get a light on from the unit, by flipping a Tx switch.

What's going on here...do I have a bad RCXL kill switch?

Any help would be nice with this problem.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Old 07-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCXL gas engine cut off inop...?

Do you have a volt meter and are you able to check the voltage coming out of the opto kill switch? When the LED is on you should be getting the full voltage (unless it is the BEC type with a diode it it) coming through the unit and none when the light is off. Try putting a Y cord between the kill swithch and the ignition unit. That way you can use one end to check the voltage. Sounds like you might have a faulty opto kill switch.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:23 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go into your radio set up on the channel the kill is on and make sure you the travel for that channel set to full throw.

Milton
Old 07-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Ernie Misner

+1 He's so right. Make sure your end point adjustment on that channel is 100%, 120%, or whatever your max throw is.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:42 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had had these not work before when the throw was not setup right. Yeah try increasing the throw on that particular channel.
Now there were issues with using the device with Futaba 14 channel receivers before too. So if you are using it, that might be a problem too.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:40 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

If the LED is able to be turned on/off, you would think his transmitter settings are OK, no?

If I couldn't find something at one of the connections at that point, I'd be pretty tempted to swap the switch out. -Al

Last thought. That case is easily opened. Maybe have a look inside, at the solder connections, and maybe use an ohm meter to check continuity looking for a broken wire if you don't see anything?
Old 07-22-2013, 12:04 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well that is true, the LED is showing on and off, that would tend to imply the unit is switching on and off OK. So then it could be a problem with the opt-switch not powering the cdi ignition module. Having another one to try would be a good idea.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Ernie Misner

The LED can still work but be getting low voltage to the unit if the end point adjustment is not to 100%.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:41 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you Gentlemen,
Just what I needed to hear. I'll will run up the servo travel on the Tx channel I'm using for the on/off function and see if this gets the RCXL unit to work.

I'm new to gas engines and the bigger models. I'm learning what works and what doesn't. I've been in the hobby for many years, but gas models are different then Nitro...at least for me.

Who makes the best kill switch unit...and where can I get it.

That PTE 36R has turned out to be a very sweet running engine. I've used a 19x8 and 18x10 on the engine so far with just about one hours of run time. Transition is excellent and the idle is solid. The factory settings were near perfect and I'm pleased in how this engine moves a 20 lb. model in the air.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 07-23-2013, 03:59 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

A failed Rcexl switch is kind of unusual. I would buy another if that happened to me. There's also the Aero Tech switch that's really popular - at about twice the cost of an Rcexl.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:19 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

+1

Make sure you have it wired up right and that the throws are 100/100 though unless you reduced them for some reason they should be fine.