Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Arf prices?

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Arf prices?

Old 07-21-2013, 07:19 AM
ameyam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arf prices?

Hi,
just wanted to raise my concerns regarding a trend I have seen. The reactor bipe I bought for $299 was 349 for a short time & now is $369. Aeroworks 60 size extra was $299 & now is 319. even their new bipe ultimate 30cc is 549 after it was introduced at $499 in May. what's going on? I thought companies made their products cheaper by producing them longer...

Ameyam
Old 07-21-2013, 07:22 AM
Scott Douglas

Default RE: Arf prices?

Just look at Hanger 9... they're taking things out their kits (retracts for example) and bumping up the prices. I fancied the new 60cc Corsair but £750 (UK Pounds) for a shiny film covered model that costs more than twice as much again to get in the air?? Reality check required [:'(]
Old 07-21-2013, 07:38 AM
ameyam

Well, I am located in India. Our currency devalued 10%+ in the last quarter. Manufacturers will say that its more expensive to manufacture stuff in the east because labour costs are going up. But, salaries dont seem to be going up as fast as food prices are here. Now, I am not connected with the ARF manufacturing industry, I am just a flier and I have a unconnected day job. But I dont really see where their expenses are going up and definitely not at the rate their prices are going up.

Ameyam
Old 07-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Aiden88
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Inflation inChina is bad right now.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:46 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

I did a couple of scratch builds over the winter
The cost and time is well and way over any arf offered in the same
Category
Old 07-21-2013, 05:20 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitro wing

I did a couple of scratch builds over the winter
The cost and time is well and way over any arf offered in the same
Category
I agree that scratch building does not save you any money over an ARF but the cost can be spread out over a few months so it's not as big of a one time hit. IMO you end up with a better built model that has been built with better materials. You won't be showing up at the field with a corbon copy of what someone else has either.

As for the cost of ARF's, I'm sure there are many factors but what comes to mind. For me is that sales are down due to the economy. When GP or Horizon places an order for 100 airplanes as opposed to 250 they ordered last time the manufacturer is going to charge more per unit.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:33 PM
baddley

Hi

The prices of ARFs have gone up over the years, I had Hangar 9 plane that I loved and crashed it, now I want to get the exact same plane again but it is $40 more just 2 years later [X(] You get what u pay for most of the time concerning ARFs, although this is not always true. For example Precision Aerobatics (PA) planes and Aeroworks are consistently $100 more for their planes compared to other manufactures. They are certain brands I wont buy because they bump their prices up just cas they think they can get away with it.

If I want to spend a lot cash for a plane I will go by a composite pay someone to build it for me and put the most expensive stuff in it I can.

Scott
Old 07-21-2013, 05:39 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Now if you buy lets say a Carden 40% kit or a 126" kit you will lay out $1500-$2000 up front and you will still need to build and buy allot of stuff before you finish it. I think the truth is ARFs are inexpensive for the instant gratification you get. There is an old saying, if you want to build, then build, if you want to fly, then buy... You spend your money and take your pick...

Bob
Old 07-21-2013, 06:09 PM
JCINTEXAS

The bottom line is this: The U.S. Dollar is being devalued via inflated money supply. The Federal Reserve is injecting about $80 Billion per month into the money supply which has the effect of reducing the buying power of the U.S. Dollar. This affects the prices on everything, but especially on imported products....and most ARFs are imported. I understand this Forum is about our model airplane hobby and not about economics or politics. However our hobby/sport does not exist in a vacuum. ARF prices are rising because of realities outside of our hobby. In a few years we will look back at today's prices as the "good old days".

Best Regards
JC

I don't always fly R/C...but when I do, I fly FASST.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:23 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I never thought I would see the day when a .40-sized Stick kit wouldn't be available. I wish I had bought several in the day. The simple fact is that prices will go up. This cannot be escaped. Second, if you see something you like, BUY IT NOW. The day will come that it is no longer available. If you really like a plane, buy 2.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:17 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: JCINTEXAS

The bottom line is this: The U.S. Dollar is being devalued via inflated money supply. The Federal Reserve is injecting about $80 Billion per month into the money supply which has the effect of reducing the buying power of the U.S. Dollar. This affects the prices on everything, but especially on imported products....and most ARFs are imported. I understand this Forum is about our model airplane hobby and not about economics or politics. However our hobby/sport does not exist in a vacuum. ARF prices are rising because of realities outside of our hobby. In a few years we will look back at today's prices as the "good old days".

Best Regards
JC

The OP and other respondents are not in the US and still have the same problem. While certainly the FED is directly hurting those of us in this hobby it only has a small effect on the rest of the world. The biggest problem, I believe, is that the cheap, unskilledlaborers in China (in particular) are demanding more money. And they are probably learning from our unions about things like work slowdowns.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:12 AM
Aiden88
My Feedback: (5)

Right now in China inflation is around 2.7%, and labor, material, andfood costs are all on the rise over there. When the manufacturer is forced to pay more to produce the airplane, then thosecosts are passed on to the dealers, and thusly on to thecustomer. This isn't a distributor (Horizon Hobby, Tower Hobbies, LHS) issue and nobody is suddenly gettinghigher profits with increased ARF prices.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:51 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

A lot of it is related to the gas prices which have gone out of Control so Obama's relatives over in the middle east can get rich.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:34 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Absolutely no bearing on the question at hand andall of this is speculation. Thumb through a few of Tower'spast catalogs and you will see that even the kits have gone up. Top Flite 60 size kits have gone up $40-50 in the last year alone. The cost of balsa is at a premium right now and I would suspect that is why we are seeing so much of this so called light ply in arfs which is really some kind of flakeboard material that you can't even glue back together when it breaks. interesting site if you can get through the translation, sort of like trying to read some of the posts on RCU Ihave to keep looking to see if the poster is from another country because of all the spellig mistacshttp://www.balsafactory.com/
ORIGINAL: essyou35

A lot of it is related to the gas prices which have gone out of Control so Obama's relatives over in the middle east can get rich.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:05 AM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

I have read (in more then one forum) most of the pricing issues are tied to the wind turbine manufactures buying up the majority of balsa in order to make the blades.

the RC manufactures have to pay more to get the balsa they need to make the kits, so we pay more in the end as well.

Bill S.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:40 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: JCINTEXAS

The bottom line is this: The U.S. Dollar is being devalued via inflated money supply. The Federal Reserve is injecting about $80 Billion per month into the money supply which has the effect of reducing the buying power of the U.S. Dollar. This affects the prices on everything, but especially on imported products....and most ARFs are imported. I understand this Forum is about our model airplane hobby and not about economics or politics. However our hobby/sport does not exist in a vacuum. ARF prices are rising because of realities outside of our hobby. In a few years we will look back at today's prices as the ''good old days''.

Best Regards
JC

Your right but people in the USA won't accept that answer. I know several people who work for Hobby People and they confirmed this fact.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:54 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: Twin_Flyer

I have read (in more then one forum) most of the pricing issues are tied to the wind turbine manufactures buying up the majority of balsa in order to make the blades.

the RC manufactures have to pay more to get the balsa they need to make the kits, so we pay more in the end as well.

Bill S.
I visited west Michigan this past weekend and drove by a big wind farm. There were numerous huge wind turbines, but only a handful of them were spinning at a slow, lethargic rate and the rest we not spinning. This makes me wonder if we would ever get our money's worth out of those things. I have never driven by a wind farm that was fully operational, not even the ones I have seen in Germany!! I say that balsa could be put to better use, like kits and ARFs IMHO.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:30 AM
Warjet
My Feedback: (327)

Yep, windmills and wind farms are the latest in the "green energy" scam. The only green thing about it is the "green bucks" that costs us to erect them for 30% use and the increased cost in electricity. The environmental wackos out here in SoCal were all so happy with the state mandate for renewable energy until a big solar station was proposed for the desert 50 miles from nowhere and they screamed about the destruction of the environment, so it's on hold. These people need to take a bath and get a job.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:44 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Certainly arf's have their place and probably always will. Kit prices have gone up too but IMHO more and more modelers are returning to building to avoid that big out of pocket initial expense and be rewarded with a plane they built with the quality they built in to it.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:50 AM
RCPAUL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never mind kits, plans build!
Old 07-22-2013, 11:16 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: Warjet

Yep, windmills and wind farms are the latest in the ''green energy'' scam. The only green thing about it is the ''green bucks'' that costs us to erect them for 30% use and the increased cost in electricity. The environmental wackos out here in SoCal were all so happy with the state mandate for renewable energy until a big solar station was proposed for the desert 50 miles from nowhere and they screamed about the destruction of the environment, so it's on hold. These people need to take a bath and get a job.
+1

I should know, I'm an engineer, and 4 years ago I looked into a job in that solar desert. Luckily, I stayed here in bankrupt Detroit!!!
Old 07-22-2013, 12:02 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Gas prices affect everything since it has to be shipped. I do know what you mean about that light ply. Wont even hold a screw in it either, my eflite mustang has a lot of that crispy stuff. Have to soak it in CA.

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

Absolutely no bearing on the question at hand and all of this is speculation. Thumb through a few of Tower's past catalogs and you will see that even the kits have gone up. Top Flite 60 size kits have gone up $40-50 in the last year alone. The cost of balsa is at a premium right now and I would suspect that is why we are seeing so much of this so called light ply in arfs which is really some kind of flakeboard material that you can't even glue back together when it breaks. interesting site if you can get through the translation, sort of like trying to read some of the posts on RCU [img][/img] I have to keep looking to see if the poster is from another country because of all the spellig mistacs[img][/img] http://www.balsafactory.com/
ORIGINAL: essyou35

Old 07-22-2013, 01:42 PM
erik valdez
My Feedback: (80)

Im not a manufacturer but at some point you would think it would be cheaper to assemble these things in the US rather than pay for all that packing and shipping. I have no idea what the cost comes down to per unit on a container full of 35% planes from China but I would imagine it wont be long before we can produce them at nearly that same rate. Skilled and willing laborers aside that is.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:54 PM
willig10

They are charging more because they (the manufacturer) can get it. When people stop paying for overpriced merchandise the manufacturer has two options. Sell at a lower price or go out of business. So as long as Johnny Q Public continues to buy at elevated prices the market will adapt to charging higher prices. When the bottom falls out the price will deflect the other way.

That said don't buy new unless you want to. Buy a used ARF at rock bottom price and usually you get more with it for a better price than just the plane. i.e engine and servos etc. Yes it's nice to have a "brand new" plane but how long until it does not look brand new?

What I am trying to say is that you have options out there.

My 2 pennies worth.

Glenn Williams
Old 07-22-2013, 02:44 PM
WindGap
My Feedback: (3)

I just snatch few when they go on sale. Mfg's will put em on sale from time to time. Hangar 9 put a few models for $99/ea awhile back. Grabbed a p-40 and katana. Until money grow on trees, I'll shop wisely/cheaply. Its a hobby after all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.