Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Old 07-19-2013, 07:17 AM
Tseres

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

ORIGINAL: rt3232

Hay Tom cant see you in a white coat but maybe and old machinest apron and greasy fingers.

Cheers Bob T
That's me. LOL.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:55 AM
Doomking
My Feedback: (38)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know the exact distance from the firewall to the front of the prop hub on the engine?
Trying to mount my G62 and I need precise distance if there is one.
I looked at the plans and wondering if I should just measure it but I am wondering if it is differente since I am using a G62 ad fiberglass specialties cowel.
Thanks for the help.

Fabio
Old 07-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

use your plan for the correct distance.

Then measure the distance from the rear mount on the G62 to the prop thrust plate. (prop mounting plate). You need to make sure the engine distances align with what is on the plan. You need to ensure you allow for any mounting hardware you plan on using like the soft mount and ply plate shown on the plans.

If they do not then you need to modify mounts so that the prop mounting plate on the G62 is exactly where it is on the plans.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:07 PM
Doomking

Thank you Pete for the explanation.
I will go ahead and install the engine that way.

Fabio
Old 07-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

good luck mate
Old 07-22-2013, 03:10 PM
Doomking

Houston ......we have a problem......
OK Guys here we go, hope I don't confuse you too much....

As per plant the distance from firewall to back of prop is 7"1/2 .
G62 distance from back of cup to front of prop hub 7"
so here is the problem.....
putting on the cowl with the back of it just barely in line with the mounting blocks on the cowl ring on the fuse, the distance from the firewall to the front of the cowl is 7".
So if I install the engine with 1/2" spacer to get to the 7 1/2" as per plan dimension, the prop shaft of the engine sticks up 1/2" which is very ugly in my opinion.
If I take off the spacer and mount the G62 directly to the firewall than the prop hub is just where it needs to be right past the front of the cowl but no longer following plan instruction.

What should I do? Just go ahead and mount the G62 directly to the firewall shaving off 1/2" off the plan measurement?
I cannot move forward the cowl any more since it will show the cowl mounting blocks on the fuse.

Any G62 fella out there with the cup that would like to share their expertise?

Thanks for all the help.....

Fabio
Old 07-22-2013, 04:49 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well my first Question is did you build the box per the plan and parts ? is you G-62 new or if used are you sure the previous owner did not change the spull on the frunt of the engine as the different length available.

My bird has the 62 with the cup mount and the iso mount per plan and the back of the prop clears the cowl buy about 3/16 and that is a FGS cowl, the spull/hub just clears the dummy engine also.

Post some pic's with a ruler in the pic will make helping you a lot easer

Good Luck

Cheers Bob T
Old 07-23-2013, 01:18 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

can't really comment as I am using a DA-50. I had to do a double thickness ply dummy firwewall plate that is soft mounted to the actual box firewall.

End of the day the prop hub has to be in the corerect postion as per plans so adjust the softmounted play plate with spacers or if you need to move the engine rearward a little you may have to take that 1/2" off the box firewall.

As Bob Said do some pics with a ruler to show the problem clearly.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:52 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

well can't say I like the new improved RCU website, took ages before it would let me do anything. No thumbnails on the photos . . . ***??

How is everyone else liking it?

We are off for a 2 day warbird event on Friday arvo. Taking the the big Seafury to it.

cheers
Peter
Old 08-06-2013, 06:46 PM
rt3232

Question

Hi Pete

Have fun at the fly

Tryed to post earler. and it did not pos t will have to fig it out

Cheers Bob T

Last edited by rt3232; 08-06-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:05 PM
dubs1946

What 2 day event is that Pete?
Dave.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

you seem to have it working now Bob

Coolum Warbirds on sunshine coast
Old 08-07-2013, 05:08 AM
rt3232

YAA
WHAT I tried to say was I got the 47 out for a fly, was in the first flight, at about the 8 min mark decided to land ( have had problems with landing to SLOW and kinda plop it in) rolled on to final with with about 1/4 throtle nice set up log approch over some TALL corn , clipped the tassles at the last 3 row's. so it went in at about a 20 deg angle pranged it good but is repairable. so another winter project

Cheers Bob T

PS pic's would not post
Old 08-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

ahhh crap Bob, sorry to hear that. Bloody corn, cut the bloody stuff down.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

well disaster day on sat. Gremlins were at work and I really need to listen to my gut instinct when the gremlins are about. Could not get the GT80 started on the Seafury. Frigged about for about an hour, not even a cough. No spark.

So off with the spinner, prop and cowl could not see anything amiss. Next flip it over, wing off. Ahhh one of the connectors from the kill switch relay had come apart. Puched it back in, secured with one of those plastic connector holders.

Fired up easily. One neverous flight, 3 missed approaches till I finally got it down. It was very squirally, not sure if it is CG, too much flap or what. I am thinking it is nose heavy as it tended to rear up and I could not get a decent flare happening.

Anyway Second flight one of the wheels locked up as I was taxiing out. Lock not had come lost on the inside of the axle. Simple fix.

then the wind kept changing directions . . .

Still off I went. Take off ok, not great but not bad either. stooged about for a few mins then a jet spooled up not far away and not wating to be in the air with one of thoese I chose to land. Missed first attempt,. full power and go around.

Sencond attempt it looked nice coming in on finals, about 12 ft off the deck as I came over the thresh hold then the right wing just dropped for no reason, almost perpendicular to the ground. Corrected it just, was stright then left dropped but not as bad, I fed in a little power and it balooned up and I tried to correct, it popoised about and in the end it plopped down and I did not think too badly but the left hand side of the wing just distentergrated in a most spectactular way.

Left side retract mechanisim is badly damaged and needs to be rebuilt or replaced, the scale seafury style struts are ok though and the right wing retract is ok from what I can tell.

Fuselage seems to be ok with only the prop broken. Wing is too badly damaged to contemplate rebuilding it, ok I could do so but would require the top skins being lifted off as the other half has a stress crack right through it and no dought all the ribs are broken. If I rebuilt it the weight would go up a pound or two and this thing is all ready 42lbs!!

So checked online, can get a set of plans for $45 USD and a full wing kit from PCK for $245 USD, say $300 USD landed here. About $330 AUD.

I can build a wing pretty quickly, minimal scale details on this bird, will only do what was on the original so that means the finishing will be very quick as there will be no panel lines or rivets.

But as my workshop is in transit it won't be happening for a bit.

So post crash analysis hmmmm some were thinking radio but I am not convinced. 2.4 Ghz technology is very reliable and I have 4 Rxs in the model. Still is possible. Bateries and switches are new. Wind was swirling about and chaging direction a lot and while it was not strong I am thinking it was swiling around the model and essentially stalled it.

Anyway will keep you posted on the wing build once I get the kit of parts and the plans.

cheers
me
Old 08-12-2013, 05:28 PM
dubs1946

Bad luck Pete,i have a 42 Pound Model Design Sea fury ready for flight testing, its been sitting there for 3 months! hmmm.
I am almost out of excuses.
Any further idea what caused it? no video i suppose. Nervous ,rear cg.,maybe to slow,wind shear,or a mixture of all of them. Sounds a bit like wind shear at near stall landing speed.
I am now trying a new landing approach for my heavy models i come in hot over the threshold and get the aircraft as flat to the ground as possible say two or three feet up in ground effect and keep it there until i can bleed the speed off and then a two wheel touch down.
I used to come in at an angle and then try and flair, and i found on numerous occasions If the flair go's wrong i stuff it and the aircraft ends up with no airspeed and perhaps 10 feet off the deck with only one way to go and thats down!. So i am trying the flat approach and it seems to work mind you coming in hot and flat is a bit unnerving.
Dave.

Last edited by dubs1946; 08-12-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:16 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

I'm studding what you all are doing with the landings being I will be maddening my P-47 soon. I have been practicing with my 50cc cub, clipped wing version. I know its not the same but the set up can be mimicked to that of a war bird. The cub floats and if you try and flair or do a three point landing it bounces high and trouble can be had so I am practicing the low approach under power with full flaps. I drop in and level out about 5' and fly it in I bleed of the speed with throttle and do a wheel landing, no bounce and it has been a consistent practice for me. The jug will need the same approach, come in with enough speed then drop in about 5' off the deck, fly it in and bleed the speed till the wheels touch. That's my plan so far.

P.S. where are you guys getting your bug spray for the gremlins, I need a bottle of that for my field box!

TB
Old 08-13-2013, 04:00 AM
rt3232

HAY PETE
IF I AM READING YOUR POST CORRECTLY, FROM YOUR DISCRIPTION I AM THINKING YOU WERE A BIT SLOW AND YOUR BIRD A TAD TAIL HEAVY, SLOW WOULD ACCOUNT FOR A TIP STALL, AND tail heavy coud account for the porpussing

Just my thoughts

Cheers Bob T
Old 08-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

no I am thinking it is in fact nose heavy which was stopping me flaring it. It wasnt that slow, had about 1/5 throttle on. People seem to think it was turbulance as it was changing direction constantly.

Rotating took quite a bit of back stick to get off the deck too whereas before I fitted the 80 it would lift off almost on it's own.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Tseres

I'm trying to get used to the new format. Looking at the page is going to take a while. I was able to ad an avatar for the first time since I started posting here. I guess the new format is better.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Tseres

Just went over the posts I missed since last week. My thoughts on the crash is probably to slow if you had full flaps on. When I put full flaps on the jug I have to add a lot of throttle to keep it moving forward. 1/5 throttle may not have been enough. If it was nose heavy, it would need more elevator but would land fine. Tail heavy you would have the tail drop when you slowed the plane to landing speed and you would have to add down elevator to keep it moving forward. Pete. Only you will know what happened after a few days when you calm down and can analyze what really happened. At least it takes me that long to start thinking clearly. Yes. that's experience talking. LOL.

Bob, sorry about your plane. We have jumping corn here in Indiana. The plane eating variety. I'm not to fond of it.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:09 PM
rt3232

Well gues what guys the whole thing may have been my radio. that said I was out flying my old refurbished Dragonlady, and was on fianal out a bit farther than with the 47 and it went in to the corn my flying buddy and I looked at each other and said what happend went picked it up and NO damage not even a prop, So went out today and after getting it ready the reciver would not bind so did all the checks and found by wiggling the module in the xmitter it wold go intermentent (spelling) radio is an Futaba 8U that I have had for about 16 years and put in a 2.4 module about 6 years back so will have it checked out to see what may have happened I just hope I don't have to buy another spendy radio as al my equipment is futaba.

Thats my story for now and will up date as soon as I know

Cheers Bob T
Old 08-13-2013, 09:05 PM
dubs1946

Hi Tony. For me landing is my main problem i have stuffed more heavy aircraft on landing then in any other manner the first video is from 2009 my maiden and certification a TA 152 45 pounds still in undercoat.good landing for me anyway with full control, scroll down the video page until you see the TA152 maiden video.
http://www.wrcs.org.au/gallery/videos

This is my T/F P47 kit built 35 pounds both have the 3W85 coming in fast but with full control not as flat as i have would have liked but still hot.
It still slows down very fast once its feet are on the deck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiW7wSFBqEA
Dave
Old 08-14-2013, 03:08 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Dave, I cant watch the first video, makes me car sick! but the Jug video was good, yes could have been a little flatter. Your lucky you get to land on grass. I have pavement on both the fields I fly at, one is in really bad shape and if you go off or miss the runway your toast. The other field the runway is in great shape and if you run off your good and in a pinch you can land on the grass, not manicured but it is doable.

TB
Old 08-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

folks, the SF was not that slow, had throttle on and thinking back over it I am inclined to think it was tubulance that caused the wing drop in that manner.

As for the lack of elevator authority and the inability to flare the model and inherant "balooning" I still think it is nose heavy.

Anyway will be tripple checking CG once new wing is built. Maybe I will paint the 47 and finish it off first? Now that would be something LOL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.