Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Main Difference In Flying Giant Scale

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Main Difference In Flying Giant Scale

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 06:58 PM
Giant_Scale_Gasser
My Feedback: (84)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Main Difference In Flying Giant Scale

ORIGINAL: ahicks

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

ORIGINAL: sensei

Bigger flies much better because cubed loading and Reynolds numbers are working in your favor instead of against you, but keep in mind, lighter wing loadings are key if you desire slow power off landings.

Bob
So far, no one has mentioned the drag difference between larger and smaller airplanes. Often, it is necessary to keep power on during landings just to overcome the high drag produced by some airframes and low pitch, high diameter props at idle. Large biplanes and airframes such a YAK or Sukhoi with a large, round cowl often require quite a bit of power on landing just to keep them moving. One can easily end up well short of the runway if power is cut too soon. Now this can also be your friend and the braking effect is also good as it produces a more constant speed airplane during some maneuvers. Also good on landing if you know it exists and you use this to your advantage. Practice dead stick landings though so when you have to do one for real one day, there won't be any surprises.
There would be so many fewer serious crashes if people would just listen to this enough to practice engine out scenarios once in a while!
Personally, I also practice high speed, emergency landings as well as the simulated dead sticks. There is always that time where you need to get down in a hurry (flutter, objects falling off, radio issue, etc) and going from high speed, high altitude in a hurry is an art just like perfecting the dead stick. Going from 100 feet or higher and high speed to a landing without getting in the pattern is interesting to say the least.

Oh and the biggest difference in flying giant scale should be obvious.... You need a bigger shovel to get the heavier parts back! J/K!

Old 07-22-2013, 07:24 PM
asimatt
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
An airplane is an airplane. They ALL do the same basic maneuvers,loop,roll,spin,and fly straight and level. It just depends of what variation of that maneuver you want to accomplish. That's the only way to think. Without 100% confidence you will never get to that next level. I know you were looking for basic flying but I am going one step ahead of you. I see so many guys flying defensively just hoping not to crash rather than know they are NOT going to crash. The difference between a pro and weekend warrior. Nothing wrong with either just sayin
Old 07-22-2013, 10:00 PM
flartz

Mike, I'm currently making the same transition to giant scale. About to maiden my H9 Taylorcraft with OS GT22 petrol engine. When the cold, wet weather improves (winter here). Next will probably be a big warbird. The comments here have been really helpful, and very similar to those from the guys at my LHS who fly large electrics and 100cc petrol. Still a bit scary but. Good luck. Sean
Old 07-23-2013, 02:15 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Take one of your older .40-size sport planes and add a lot of weight on the c/g. Practice landings now that the plane doesn't float in to a landing.

Enjoy the bigger planes! They are a blast to fly!
Old 07-23-2013, 03:01 AM
skyarrow1

ORIGINAL: asimatt

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
An airplane is an airplane. They ALL do the same basic maneuvers,loop,roll,spin,and fly straight and level. It just depends of what variation of that maneuver you want to accomplish. That's the only way to think. Without 100% confidence you will never get to that next level. I know you were looking for basic flying but I am going one step ahead of you. I see so many guys flying defensively just hoping not to crash rather than know they are NOT going to crash. The difference between a pro and weekend warrior. Nothing wrong with either just sayin
I like this... and you are correct, I need to build more confidence for when I am flying and the only way to do that is to fly.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 07-23-2013, 03:03 AM
skyarrow1

ORIGINAL: flartz

Mike, I'm currently making the same transition to giant scale. About to maiden my H9 Taylorcraft with OS GT22 petrol engine. When the cold, wet weather improves (winter here). Next will probably be a big warbird. The comments here have been really helpful, and very similar to those from the guys at my LHS who fly large electrics and 100cc petrol. Still a bit scary but. Good luck. Sean
Would love to hear how your first flight goes... good luck.

Mike
Old 07-23-2013, 06:00 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is the fact that most bigger airplanes need Obvious amounts of rudder mixed into the turns. Many small planes will carve around with no rudder inputs at all. However some big scale type planes react very different when you try to aileron turn them, they will just lean over and continue away from you. I will admit to you ... I was never one to use the rudder a lot in my early days, and when I first started to fly bigger airplanes I thought something was wrong when they didn't turn like I was used to them doing ! hahahha well the trouble it was WITH ME ! The airplane just wanted help initiating the turn.

That would be my advice of the main difference.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:15 AM
jdewolftx
My Feedback: (14)

One other thing not yet mentioned is the need to back off on the power during down lines. Flutter can be a bigger issue with big planes. This is most important for scale aero ate like yaks and extras. For these planes, sealing the aileron and elevator hinge lines are a must. I actually cut back to idle on most of my down lines and then feed power in gradually as I level out.

Just thought I would throw that in there.

-Jeff

Currently flying EF 100 yak and EF 50 cc Edge.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:29 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

If you're flying EF planes you've obviously never seen Chris or the team pilots do full power down lines into blenders.

It all depends on the airframe, and, I think it's been mentioned before, wing loading

I have a 50 CC Sbach that will land slower than most trainers at our club and roll about 3 feet. I have a Parkzone Corsair that with the flaps and gear hanging out needs almost half throttle to maintain a good speed and needs to be flown right to the runway.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:12 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I also have a Taylorcraft H9 but I would not consider it giant scale. It flies just like a clipped wing J3 Cub.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:09 PM
dirtyoldman00
My Feedback: (100)

There is a nice giant scale .com web site you may want to check on
Old 07-23-2013, 03:45 PM
hanko

ORIGINAL: skyarrow1

I am getting ready to make the jump into giant scale flying... what I am curious about, what is the main difference between flying something really large, say 80" wingspan and up, and 40 or 60 size airplanes? I have flown a Big Stick, but have purchase a monster stick to get the feel of giant scale flying and have not had a chance. Just wondering what to expect.

Thanks...

Mike
Its easier, cleaner, sounds better, cooler. youll never go back to slimers
Old 07-23-2013, 05:50 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If you wish to become a really good pilot, forget about the price tag of the airplane because worrying about crashing will hold your talents back, cause crashes, and you will never move forward. Remember, this is a hobby, and it is only money that you can't take with you when you go anyway, so just relax and have fun.

Bob
Old 07-23-2013, 06:04 PM
skyarrow1

ORIGINAL: sensei

If you wish to become a really good pilot, forget about the price tag of the airplane because worrying about crashing will hold your talents back, cause crashes, and you will never move forward. Remember, this is a hobby, and it is only money that you can't take with you when you go anyway, so just relax and have fun.

Bob
I don't worry about it... my wife does.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:47 PM
cng

The biggest difference is going to be the cost of running gas compared to glow fuel. You will pay for all the up front cost quickly. At least that is what I told the wife And all the other things mentioned here as well. Have fun going larger!
Craig
Old 07-23-2013, 07:47 PM
jcvt
My Feedback: (2)

I have flown the big stick , there is not noticeable differences between the smaller cousin and the giant. It fly better with higher inertia, which means you should think ahead of the airplane. It just fly better. For giant warbirds, That's totally another story. With the warbirds you should program what you are going to do instead of making holes on the sky. Landing and take off should be closer to perfection, plus a bunch of things in the safety dept. Keep in mind that loosing control of a 25-.30 pound airplane that fly over 90 Mph is not an option.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:12 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: Lifer

Take one of your older .40-size sport planes and add a lot of weight on the c/g. Practice landings now that the plane doesn't float in to a landing.

Enjoy the bigger planes! They are a blast to fly!

Nope, in my experience, the opposite is true. It all depends what giant scale he is going to use. My 1/4 scale cubs (2), 1/5 scale bipe (Hawk), and RV4 do not fly and/or land at all as a heavy .40 airplane...

They all float in except the bipe, of course.

Gerry
Old 07-31-2013, 05:57 PM
Scalenut-RCU

Hi Mike,

I saw you mentioned Sod Busters in August.  I am the event CD and look forward to meeting you.  There will be plenty of giant scale pilots in attendance so if you need any help just let me know and I will hook you up with someone that will be glad to assist.   As a sanctioned AMA event we can not allow test flights during the event days - Thur, Fri & Sat.  However some folks will come in on Wednesday and the field is open then for any type of flying so come early if you want to take advantage of our wide open spaces for any first flights.

Here is a link to the event details if anyone is interested:

http://www.RCFlightDeck.com/event_de...?event_id=1246

See you then,

Forest
Old 08-01-2013, 03:06 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Gerry,

True. I was referring to heavy metal war-birds. They don't float into landings, but some types of giants do.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:02 AM
skyarrow1

ORIGINAL: Scalenut-RCU

Hi Mike,

I saw you mentioned Sod Busters in August. I am the event CD and look forward to meeting you. There will be plenty of giant scale pilots in attendance so if you need any help just let me know and I will hook you up with someone that will be glad to assist. As a sanctioned AMA event we can not allow test flights during the event days - Thur, Fri & Sat. However some folks will come in on Wednesday and the field is open then for any type of flying so come early if you want to take advantage of our wide open spaces for any first flights.

Here is a link to the event details if anyone is interested:

http://www.RCFlightDeck.com/event_de...?event_id=1246

See you then,

Forest
I saw about the test flights... I am sure I can get some help at my field (GMA) for this. Not sure if I am going to be bring any planes or not since I most likely will be working the IMAA booth/table. I am working on getting my approvals now to be at the event for IMAA.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-11-2013, 07:39 AM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

It has been alluded to above in a few threads. The biggest single difference is purely emotional, a mental thing. No way to get around it. More money, bigger more intimidating plane, etc, etc. Once you get over worrying about all the money you can loose and watching that BIG plane fly, things become a lot easier and more fun. Just start out slow, get comfortable landing it and pretty soon it will be no different than flying your little ones.