Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Support your local hobby shop? ITN

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 11:31 AM
willig10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Support your local hobby shop? ITN

Ok all, I am new to cars and trucks. I have been flying for years but just could not resist the mini e-revo vxl. So before I bought one I visited my local hobby shop to see one in person and look at upgrades etc. I know the owner and he knows me. I also know the counter person and pretty much all who work there. After looking around the shelves etc. I see that all the cars and trucks are on the wall behind the counter. There are many and I did not want to waste the guys time by asking prices. The price tags are about 1" square and you cannot see the price from in front of the counter.

On the airplane side of the hobby shop we are allowed to go behind the counter and get things and shop as needed. So I asked the guy that I know if I could step around to check prices etc. You would have thought I was going to rob the place. He got militant real quick and said no. So I informed him that I would not be back as there are other hobby shops in and around town and for sure on-line.

This is not the first time I have had issues with this guy and other modelers have had issues with him as well. I aint never going back.

All this said, you see I used to be the guy that would tell you to support your local hobby shop. Yes the prices are a bit higher but he is in it to make a buck too. Well my attitude has changed. After this experience, and again this is not the first time. I am done. I don't care if I have to drive an hour or more to go to another shop or just spend my time buying online, it is better than being treated in a disrespectful manner the way these guys do.

Anyone else have this sort of issue?

Old 07-15-2013, 12:08 PM
justin428

Default RE: Support your local hobby shop? ITN

Interesting.Went to my favorite local hobby shop today and what I have found is that nearly all hobby shops let you shop around the back of the counter if you're "trusted" or basically, in there all the time.But I had a bad experience today because on Thursday I called needing a part ordered and the guy said "I have someone in front of me right now but come in Monday and it'll be here." Its Monday and he forgot to order it. Very upsetting considering the 30 minutes drive.EDIT: Also, I think I'm treated differently because I don't race. I just bash around with a "vintage" rc10gt and I get the feeling I'm not in the hobby shops "in club."
Old 07-15-2013, 03:11 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this is interesting to read as I recently posted a slight issue with my LHS.
None of us can judge if yours overreacted cause we were not there. But it does point out that the right sort of person is needed to work behind the counter.
On the one hand we should all be good buddies, as we enjoy the same hobby. On the other hand, hobby shops do have a huge amount of money in the stock on their shelves...and I understand the need to be careful.
To not let you behind the counter is not a sin, but it does seem how you were told no was not done properly.
But it is going to be hard for them to sell stuff if you cant see the price. And naturally, the one guy behind the counter cant wait on all the customers at once.

to justin428: Forgetting to order your part is a FAIL. Pure and simple. Sure, he had a customer in front of him, but he should have written your order down and not forgotten to enter it.
I too see that racers get some EXTRA attention. To a degree I can understand this...as racers do tend to spend a lot of $$$....track time, race day, upgrades, tires ect. They tend to have a bigger budget then us bashers do.
But if your needs got forgotten just to take care of a racer, well that's crap.

Man, I would love to own a hobby shop. I have no doubt that it would be very hard, the hobby is huge with a wide array of interests and people. But that challenge is part of what would make the job fun.

My hobby shop does have a saving grace....the main man behind the counter. All know his name (nickname rather) he can recognize my voice over the phone...and I don't call or visit more than a few times a month! He always tries his best, will lend tools to many who have a emergency repair and will always give fair and friendly advice.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:37 AM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My biggest problem with hobby shops in general is the attitude. Like what has already been posted, I'm not a racer, and to make matters worse, I run Redcat's. So this is a combination for"attitude" to begin with. But I've seen it with typical customers off the street as well. A guy asks a question and the counter person typically explains something in the most difficult way possible. It's like they want their customers to feel like if it weren't for their massive expertise, the world would stop rotating.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:38 AM
justin428

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

to justin428: Forgetting to order your part is a FAIL. Pure and simple. Sure, he had a customer in front of him, but he should have written your order down and not forgotten to enter it.
I too see that racers get some EXTRA attention. To a degree I can understand this...as racers do tend to spend a lot of $$$....track time, race day, upgrades, tires ect. They tend to have a bigger budget then us bashers do.
But if your needs got forgotten just to take care of a racer, well that's crap.

I would rather he put me on hold, dealt with whoever was in front of him, then came back to me and ordered my part.

Well I have an alternative. There is a closer hobby shop (Hobbytown USA) and while they are a little more expensive they are much more helpful. When I go in to the other shop, it's like I have to flag someone down.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:46 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

My LHS is one of the nicest places ever. I got my nickname from the owner, and they sometimes give us a small discount on big purchases. Everyone there is very nice and they have a lot of stuff. They will even order parts for you; for free! Just pay the part price, no shipping! If you bring in your car (no matter what it is) they will completely replace the parts for you; free! I really like my LHS. Everyone knows me there.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:05 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

My biggest problem with hobby shops in general is the attitude. Like what has already been posted, I'm not a racer, and to make matters worse, I run Redcat's. So this is a combination for''attitude'' to begin with. But I've seen it with typical customers off the street as well. A guy asks a question and the counter person typically explains something in the most difficult way possible. It's like they want their customers to feel like if it weren't for their massive expertise, the world would stop rotating.
I know that feeling all to well...lol.
Some at my shop act like if the price tag wasn't over $400, then its total crap.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:22 AM
justin428

here too. Shouldn't we integrate this thread and the "stuck up hobby shops" thread?
Old 07-16-2013, 11:40 AM
JohnP2

Willig10,

I know the exact place you are talking about. ;-) You are spot on.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:08 PM
robausti

I understand they are in it to make a buck or two but some of these LHS have a considerable amount of mark up on some of the merchandise. I have kids ages 5 and 10 who are into the hobby, when we go to certain hobby stores we are invisible. It's like if you are not one of the favorites or those who frequently race they have no words for you. When I purchased my first nitro RC by Exceed they would not help me at all. It was worse when I walked in with my Tower Terror they would say before I even spoke "we don't have parts for that you need to call Tower Hobbies" all I wanted was help with the idle, I had help from customers outside in the parking lot who helped me on the spot. When I purchased my Slash the experience was different as day and night. I guess its just like at the work place when you have people with bad attitudes they can ruin the customer experience. As for me I am on good terms with the mom and pop hobby shop but as for the hobby shop that has a chain nationwide I don't know if I will bother with them again.

Best Regards,
Rob

Exceed Forza
Tower Terror
Arrma Granite
Losi XXX CR graphite
Brushless Evader
Blitz brushed
Blitz brushless
Slash brushed
Slash brushless
Sparrowhawk XXT brushless
Old 07-22-2013, 06:46 PM
OvalRacer99

Going BEHIND the counter?? I would NEVER even ask to do that at any hobby shop. Our local shop is run by a couple awseome guys and I would never stoop to disrespecting them like that.
The parts are secured back there for a reason, if I need something, all I have to do is ask, not all that difficult.
And yes, Iknow them and they know me, we race together at their track but I still would never even think of doing that!!!

Old 07-22-2013, 06:56 PM
willig10

It has nothing to do with disrepect from the customer. Re read the first post. As I said the airplane side you can walk with no issues. The car side is not.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:24 PM
Microz

I don't support my LHS (freakin' hobbytown [:@]). The reason is...they are also very disrespectful and misleading. I've experienced them mocking customers once the customer has walked out. I have also had times where I would call them up, tell them to hold a part for me because they had it in stock, I would drive all the way there, and they would say "Yeah sorry we just sold out." ***? I told you to hold the darn thing for me!!! I buy everything online now.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:49 PM
willig10

That is another reason I am only buying online now as well. Guy thinks he is the only show in town, well when you see the holier than thou from them. It is time to move on.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:28 PM
rcnitrohead

I have 2 local shops. Been a customer at both for 10 years now, for the last 5 I only buy fuel and plugs.

Shop 1- Run by a single guy, small place. He thinks he's god of anything mechanical, I walk in and ask what fuels he carries. All he has is top fuel, I say let me get a gallon. He starts taking quarts out, I saw "what no gallons?", he says he only does quarts now. I say how much? $9 a quart (LOL), before I can even tell him to shove it up his ass- he proceeds to tell me to get out of the store lol.

Shop 2- Run by an alright guy who isn't there too often, he can be helpful. His employees however have no idea what they're talking about and are idiots. I walk in last week asking for a radio capacitor aka a glitch buster, ask the guy behind the counter if they stock them. He says no, I ask if hes sure. He gives me a look, then shouts across the store to some guy wrenching on a customer's truck. Sure enough they have one, for $23.. This is for a 99 cent capacitor with a futaba connector- lol. I say pass and walk out. I've watched customers walk in with a simple issue that takes 10 minutes of wrenching to fix to be quoted $150 for repairs. Yeah...

Worst comes to worst if the 2nd shop goes out of business, I'll just order cases of fuel.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:26 AM
flatpickhippster

There are two Hobbytown USA equal distance from me.

Store A: A hole in the wall w/ very little inventory of any kind and an owner who doesn't acknowledge you're in the store.
No support, no repairs., but lots of attitude and arrogance. It amazes me that he is still in business with the complaints and negative web feedback about his store.

Store B: The best walkin hobby shop I've ever dealt with. Great owners, knowledgable staff, lots of inventory of all kinds including card games, and weekly tournamets. Owner gives FREE RC Flight Classes and does most all RC Air repairs...etc. Cars/Trucks/Boats repairs and support are done in store by 2-3 contracted mechanics, tuners, racers who have been with the store for years. I'm one of many happy customers.

A national chain with two independantly owned franchises within an hour of one another.......one is a POS.....the other is top notch all around. Baffling[X(]
Old 07-24-2013, 08:34 AM
rcnitrohead

Scratch that, I walked into the shop to buy plugs today. $9 a pop now, ridiculous. From now on I'm only an online customer.