Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

What's Up With Saito Spare Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 03:46 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What's Up With Saito Spare Parts?

I've been months trying to gather the parts to rebuild my trashed out FA450R3 into a high compression methanol version of the FG84R3.

Al of the parts I have been trying to get are from engines that have been in production for quite some time, the FA180, FA450R3D & FG57T.

I have bought parts piecmeal as they become avilable, sometimes getting the last ones available.

Right now I am still waiting for 3 sets of FA180 vaklves. They were originally supposed to be in on 7-11 then 7-21 & now they are backordered until 7-31. The FA450 front bearing is backordered until 8-28 but I can get an equivalent part locally from a bearing supply.

Currently Horizon only has 1 of the FG57 piston in stock (after my purchase of 3) & 2 piston pins. I recently bought 1 of the piston pins to complete the needed 3 (I had bought the last 2 months ago) & now Horizon only has 2 left.

It seem sthat Horizon only gets a few examples of a given part & then doesn't re-order until they are completely out of stock. Is this something that has always been this way?
Old 07-23-2013, 05:01 AM
ThumbSkull
My Feedback: (57)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What's Up With Saito Spare Parts?

In the grand scheme, those engines are relatively rare except for the 180. It's probably normal for them to not bank up a shelf full of parts for the few engines out there.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:23 AM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: ThumbSkull

In the grand scheme, those engines are relatively rare except for the 180. It's probably normal for them to not bank up a shelf full of parts for the few engines out there.
Maybe so, but the valves & piston pins for the 180 are not parts for a "rare" engine & the FG57 is very poular W/the gasser fans that want 4-stroke power.

The FG57T is their "poster engine" on the Horizon Saito page proclaiming "Now in Gas"! Given that the FG57T had had some initial teething problems (infant mortality) when it was 1st introduced it would seem that not keeping an ample stock of parts on hand would not be in the interest of good customer service.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:48 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Advantage Hobby is backordered too. You may find what you need if if you keep looking at the hobby websites. I had to order something from a place in England for a Saito. The postage is cheaper, so the cost is about even. You may find a website with Saito parts that ships to the U.S. My package took about 10 days to arrive once they said it shipped.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:03 AM
jeffie8696

All the sources for spares seem to be drying up. Super Tigre parts are a problem too.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:43 AM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: blw

Advantage Hobby is backordered too. You may find what you need if if you keep looking at the hobby websites. I had to order something from a place in England for a Saito. The postage is cheaper, so the cost is about even. You may find a website with Saito parts that ships to the U.S. My package took about 10 days to arrive once they said it shipped.
Couldn't get parts here in Aus in a reasonable time frame so I went to the U.K. as well. Good prices and got here pretty quick as well . Im sick of being shafted in this hobby so now that world is my oyster its much better . Cheers the pope
Old 07-23-2013, 09:12 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I've only been waiting for four years for a SuperTigre 4500 piston.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:06 PM
SrTelemaster150

Advantage pulls from Horizon's stock. I buy from Advantage to avoid shipping charges on orders between $50 & $100 as well as the sizable advanyage discount.

The backorders are not limited to particular engines either. One of the things that makes Saitos so desirable is the easy access to spares.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:11 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

I've only been waiting for four years for a SuperTigre 4500 piston.
Hey Dave I got the parts. Thanks. I've been meaning to call you. Do you have the rest of the dual carb set-up? I would be interested in the whole shebang in case I run across a single carb 300T or perhaps convert an FG57T to methanol.

I love spark ignited nitro/methanol. I shoulda drove a Funnycar.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:27 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Yeah, I forgot about them using a parts run over to Horizon.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:46 PM
SrTelemaster150

Yeah, I forgot about them using a parts run over to Horizon.
I just found out recently that they pull fform Tower Hobbies too.

I wonder what kind of business relationships they have that lets them undercut their suppliers.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:32 PM
Hobbsy

Dan, when I ham fisted the cylinder on my 1.50 I ordered that intake thinking that I'd mount he carb at the intake port not knowing that the 3.00 cylinders take the 12mm fitting. That's all I have.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:25 PM
SrTelemaster150

Dan, when I ham fisted the cylinder on my 1.50 I ordered that intake thinking that I'd mount he carb at the intake port not knowing that the 3.00 cylinders take the 12mm fitting. That's all I have.
Yes, basically the 300 uses the same cylinder as the 150 except 1 is left & 1 is right. The only difference in FA450R3D & FA150 cylinders is the dual pligs on the 450.

Did you realize that Saito has discontinued both FA300Ts. I expect the FA450R3D to follow soon. It was listed as discontinued for a few days this spring. The fact that those engines share FA150 reciprocating parts & upper valvetrain makes me wonder how long the FA150 will be around.

Sad really as I think if Saito had offerd CDI a few years back like YS does on some of their hi-performace 4-strokes, the 300 twins might have done better.

If I hadn't discovered the significant advantages of CDI on large 4 stroke Saitos 15 years back I might be jumping on the gas bandwagon too, but W/the added fuel economy & slight power boost as well as the vastly improved user friendliness W/CDI/glow fuel, I don't see the need for going gas in my instance.

Anyway, thanks for the manifolds. It will allow me to set up 10mm, 11mm & 12mm ported manifolds to quickly swap out carburetors to test power output gains, if any, W/the 3 different carbutator bores that I have on hand.. IF I ever get all of the parts I need.

One has to do comparative gains testing while atmospheric conditions are as similar as possible so quick changout is a big plus. Your generous, unsolicited offer was unexpected, but greatly appreciated. It really helps a lot given my limited funds.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:34 PM
SrTelemaster150

Oops, you learn something every day. The FA300T uses the same 12mm intake thread as the back plate on the FA450R3D.

So why is there a "left & a "right" 300T cylinder when dual plugs are employed?
Old 07-23-2013, 05:49 PM
Hobbsy

My first thought is that it is so the left cylinders intake port can be on the top.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:59 PM
SrTelemaster150

My first thought is that it is so the left cylinders intake port can be on the top.
If there is no difference in the port thread like the singles (14mm IN/12mm EX) & no difference in the valves, what difference does it make? Now that I think about it, there is, I think, some more "meat" around the EX port, but why bother? Why not just leave some "meat" around the IN port.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:05 PM
Hobbsy

If a guy wanted to use the 12mm intake on a 1.50 one could just order the right hand 3.00 cylinder. That short intake tract and a Cline regulator is a pretty good setup.

PS, like you my experimenting funds are low.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:41 AM
SrTelemaster150

That short intake tract and a Cline regulator is a pretty good setup.

PS, like you my experimenting funds are low.

Given the above, why are you returning to the stock manifold?