Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Novice seeking advice

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Novice seeking advice

Old 07-23-2013, 12:46 AM
xenon20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Novice seeking advice

Hi

I have had around one years experience (about 6 years ago) flying a high wing sunbeam trainer - which I got the hang of but then lost interest in the hobby. I have been using the pheonix simulator now for 4 months and am now thinking about getting back into rc and buying a plane.
I am mostly interested in pattern/sport planes but aspire to own a jet (a long way off that I know!).

I was hoping to get some initial guidance on good manufacturers / ones to be avoided, and what sort of plane might be a good investment to help me progress from novice to intermediate level - and of course be fun to fly!

Many thanks

Paul

Old 07-23-2013, 02:54 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Novice seeking advice

Paul: Do you want to fly glow power or electric power?

Do you want to re-start with a trainer or do you feel confident enough to move to a "second plane"?

Do you want a kit, an ARF, or an RTF (ready to fly) model?

The choices are numerous and we will need to narrow the selection down a bit.

CGr.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:50 AM
xenon20

I think I'm leaning towards electric as it doesn't come with the noise, mess and the tuning etc. Are there any other considerations to bear in mind before deciding?

The trainer is my dad's and I am still able to fly it, but I am in a waiting list for a place at the local flying club. I think I would probably try and get my hand back in using the trainer and simulator, and then would be ready to get started with a second plane. I would opt for an ARF or an RTF (if it was good quality radio and build etc).
Old 07-23-2013, 05:15 AM
CGRetired

Well, yes. The difference in the expense as well as the flight duration. Prices for components are coming down but choosing the right components will determine how the plane flys and how much you will pay for the plane.

One thing about glow is that the power curve is pretty steady throughout the flight as fuel level burns down. With electric, you really have to learn throttle control to maintain a constant power curve for the duration. With electric, everything gets powered from the batter pack. Aggressive flying will quickly drain a battery pack. The internal combustion engine provides the power to fly and the battery pack powers the receiver and servos.

This should not be taken as a negative attitude toward electric, they are factors that you have to consider. There is more to it than noise and "the mess".

If you buy an electric aircraft that is ready to fly, meaning it is all set up with all components installed, often the power level provided for these planes leaves a bit to be desired. That's not every case, but is the case with several models that I have purchased and flown. If you buy your own components, you have to consider weight and flying style in the mix while selecting the right combination of motor and esc.

If you are really interested in electric power, go to the electric forum and read through some of the posts there. There is also a thread at the top of the Beginners Forum that explains some of the motor-esc selection factors that may help you in your decision on what plane to buy.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10386274/tm.htm

Scroll down to the electric selection post and read through this. It's a guide to power selection.

CGr.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:05 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I can make this really simple for you. Get an Ugly Stick. It doesn't really matter which manufacturer. If it's a glow powered one, it's easy to convert it to electric by bolting the motor to the firewall or building a box mount and then building a place for the battery to sit where the fuel tank should go. Ugly Sticks can fly as slow as a trainer, are just as forgiving in stalls, are much better in the wind, and are the easiest plane there is to takeoff and land. But they don't have the self-righting characteristics that trainers do so they are good for learning to actually pilot the plane and are good to learn beginner aerobatics with. If you look around at some of the more experienced pilots you may know, quite a few still fly an Ugly Stick sometimes even though they may have serious IMAC or scale planes that they fly also just because Sticks fly so well. There is also the added benefit that Sticks are tolerant of a wide range of setups. So you can go a tad nose heavy with mild throws to make it handle like a trainer, then move the CG back closer to neutral and turn the throws up as hot as you want to do aerobatics or just bore holes in the sky. With the right engine, they will even do mild 3D.

As for manufacturers in general, look at the ones carried by the reputable vendors. Hangar 9, Top Flite, Great Planes, Hobbico, and Parkzone (for small electrics) all make solid products as do a few others. The ones to avoid are the cut rate ARFs sold by the low end retailers like Nitroplanes, Banana Hobbies, and the ARFs by HobbyKing. On those low end brands, the planes themselves are usually ok but the hardware and covering is not as good. Once you've fixed and replaced the stuff that isn't going to work, you'll have spent as much as the good ARF anyway.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:07 AM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I preferr glow myself for several reasons.

1. I don't like to wait for a battery to charge.
2. I don't like spending $50 for batteries on a constant basis or carrying $300 worth of batteries to the field.
3. I don't like having to replace $50 + ESC because it let out the brown smoke.
4. I don't like having to replace electric motors because they throw a magnet or get a bent shaft from clipping the prop.

5. I like just putting in some fuel and fly.
6. I like using the same engine for 20 or 30 years without having to keep buying new ones.
7. I like not having to worrying about a LiPo battery not puffing.
7. I like not having to worry about burning my house down when charging batteries.
8. And I don't have to carry battery chargers to the field.

Yeah I think I like glow a lot better.

Frank
Old 07-23-2013, 09:16 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I fly both and must admit that electric surely has an upside (ease of use, not messy after flying), but I still prefer the sound and smell of a glow engine. One guy in our bunch is flying a 110" Cub with an OS 2.0 four stroke engine on the nose. That thing looks and sounds so real in flight that it is uncanny. Electrics just don't do that for me. Another guy has a 15' C130 with four Saito 180s powering it. I have never heard anything like those four 180s at full throttle before takeoff. It's awesome. Four electrics on the wing of that C130 just ain't gonna be the same. Electrics are clean, but glow is where it's at.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:24 PM
xenon20

I had a look at some of the stick planes that were mentioned and they do look like a sensible choice, but the demon in me wants a bipe - was looking at the PA ultimate AMR and the GP reactor bipe, both look lovely but possibly a bit too advanced? Is there a bipe that would be more suitable for novice - intermediate skill?

I also had a look at some of the pattern types such as the GP sequence F3A and the 3DHS super vyper which also took my fancy.

Paul

Old 07-23-2013, 07:34 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

As far as I know, there are no bipes out there that you'd want to LEARNTOFLYwith. You've got a bit of experience, that's good. Learn to fly with something fairly docile (and the Sticks are all perfectly capable), THEN go get something fancy like a GPReactor. Pattern types are, IMHO, a year or so in the future - at least.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:24 PM
jester_s1

I have a Balsa USA Phaeton that is an absolute joy to fly. But it's only available as a kit (Phaeton II now). If you want to build, I can definitely recommend it as a first biplane. The Sig Hog biplane is another common choice for a first two winger, although I haven't flown one personally. I'll agree with skylark-flier though that no biplane is for beginners. Even the easy ones like the Phaeton bleed off speed faster in the glide so you have to be on you toes to recognize the stall, and the orientation is just plain weird when you get a little farther out. Get the stick and have a ball with it until the covering is torn and patched in at least half a dozen places and the engine is stained all brown. Everytime I see a beat up Ugly Stick, I also see a skilled pilot.

On a practical note, the Stick's versatility makes it useful long after you are past the beginner stage. It will still fly well in wind that you wouldn't dream of bringing most scale planes out in, the light wing loading makes it good for flying with floats, I mentioned above it can do mild 3D, it can easily carry a small camera if you want to do some video or photography at the field, and it is a perfectly viable plane if you got interested in aerobatics competition to enter an SPA match in novice or sportsman class.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:15 PM
xenon20

Could you explain what a 'stick' is exactly? After searching round on the net, it seems there are lots of different types? such as ugly, fast,slow,sweet,big,little etc etc

Can you reccommend any particular types/brands/models ? I can't find many sites that recognise the category 'stick' planes.

P
Old 07-24-2013, 03:34 PM
CGRetired

They are all "sticks". It's the design of the aircraft that makes us refer to it as a "stick". They all have good wing loading, usually well powered, and can handle in a wide range of mild and trainer like to wild and crazy, depending on the setup.

If that is your cup of tea, find one that you can buy at a reasonable price, build/assemble it and fly it. They are a lot of fun to fly. BUT, I would suggest you set it up to be somewhat sedate until you are used to it then dial it up a bit. You will know when to do so.

CGr.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:37 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: xenon20

Can you reccommend any particular types/brands/models ? I can't find many sites that recognise the category 'stick' planes.

Yes this one:

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72455.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	1903637  
Old 07-24-2013, 03:39 PM
CGRetired

There you go.. Leave it to John to come up with the real thing!!!
Old 07-24-2013, 03:45 PM
xenon20

Thanks for all of your advice.

Paul
Old 07-24-2013, 03:48 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Forgot the link above, Yes this one:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBMM9&P=RF

John

Old 07-24-2013, 06:41 PM
jester_s1

Hangar 9 Super Stick. I think it looks better than the traditional stick like John Buckner has and it flies just as well.