Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

No Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 04:20 AM
jvdd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Drive

Hi AllThis is what happened to my MHZ S6 leg after about only 4 tanks of fuel of run time.It is the top set of gears.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73675.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1902062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75504.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1902063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62644.jpg
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	1902064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46797.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	278.3 KB
ID:	1902065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep84923.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1902066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wm84433.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1902067  
Old 07-19-2013, 09:01 AM
Body Guard

Default RE: No Drive

Mine dosen't look that bad but there some of the gear tooth have little chips on them.
Do they sell spare gears ? And how do you get the old gears off and put on the new ones?

Thanks for the help.

La-Tiff
Old 07-19-2013, 10:07 AM
mistycreekboats
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow looks like soft gears and lousy fitting. Looks like tooth too much depth contact.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:17 PM
F1TUNNEL

Wow Jim!! You destroyed that lol, what engine were you running with that? Looks like it was never going to last.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:32 PM
jvdd

HiI was only running a single standard RCMK on this leg.I suspect there wasn't enough oil in the leg going by the bottom gears,I think they need to be full of oil as this was about 2/3 full.La-TiffI've sent a pm to the MHZ guy here in OZ last week but I'm still waiting for a response.I've also sent a message to MHZ on their site and we'll see what they respond within terms of what parts are available and what cost.jim
Old 07-19-2013, 05:05 PM
F1TUNNEL

I was thinking you must have had one of mod engines on there, you guys have not had much luck with the ob drives, but you do run a fair bit. Did you ever get more shafts or better shafts to run in the g Morty leg? I remember we broke a few at my place, we will have to do it again, I have cleared more reeds to so more space, can't wait for summer to clear more
all the best with your repairs, I am surprised at the damage!
Cheers,
Dion
Old 07-19-2013, 07:05 PM
Arrow Shark

Here is some information how we fit our gears in Arrow Shark's Scale drive, also, our gear is not machined from matel but made with a compacting process of powder metallurgy which to be much stronger compare to the alloy ones, however, it might not fit your drive. but, you can take it as reference to modify your drive that way, we have test it for months with this construction which work well. hope that information helps.

Name:	Nl30896.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	1902245  
Old 07-20-2013, 02:41 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jvdd

HiI was only running a single standard RCMK on this leg.I suspect there wasn't enough oil in the leg going by the bottom gears,I think they need to be full of oil as this was about 2/3 full.La-TiffI've sent a pm to the MHZ guy here in OZ last week but I'm still waiting for a response.I've also sent a message to MHZ on their site and we'll see what they respond within terms of what parts are available and what cost.jim
The rcmk depending which one could be between 5.5 hp and 7 hp,so the power is probably too much.I believe MHZ only rate these things capable of use with stock 26 cc motors which usually means its based on the Zenoah which are only 3.5 hp ish.They def need to be full of oil when running according to what ive read before but I have no experience with running them.Could be a combination of too much power not enough oil and poor quality gears,the metal does look very soft.
Mart
Old 07-20-2013, 04:08 AM
Body Guard

Thanks jvdd. Let me know what they say.
Mine is still useable but just a precaution, I wouldn't mind putting a new set in. I ran two different set of lowers with Pioneer 29 with no problem. Maybe I haven't trash them enough to see how they last.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:03 PM
rcguy1411

Thats not the fist mhz drive i know of that has failed this year i have three mhz drives an S6 and two z drives the big question may be they changed manufactures a year or two ago and i wonder if there is a guality control problem my s6 has gallons on it and looks brand new its about five or six years old now i do alot of extra maint. On them change gear oil after every weekend of running it has held up to a stock 30cc zen and i am now getting ready to through a S&S billit RCMK putting out close to 7 hp will see how it last the other drawback to the mhz drive is they usuall y have you send drives back to them for repair as for the arrow shark drives there just not as much hands on experience with them yet they do look great and would love to try one and see how they hold up to todays big hp engines
Old 07-22-2013, 02:59 AM
jvdd

Hi La-tiffhere is the response I got from MHZ in relation to the S6 leg, I haven't heard from JAY yet and I pm'd him over a week ago.HiI have an S6 leg and have stripped the top gear set.Can you tell me if you have replacement parts in stock and also how much to ship to Australia.Thanks jim Hi Jim,thank you for your email. Fitting gears could be supplied, you would have to press them in by yourself.Please understand that we are not able to supply an further spare parts for this item anymore,since the manufacturer died a couple years ago.Please also notice that the top gears do brake if they are not greased enough only. (First part that breaks in case of lack of grease.)If you need any further information,please contact me anytime.Best regardsMHZFrom this I am thinking that I don't have the equipment to pull the old gears off or to press new ones on.I'm thinking that this might be the end of the road for this leg for me.jim
Old 07-22-2013, 03:08 AM
jvdd

Hi ArrowsharkThanks for the information you supplied.I have one of the m611 legs on another boat and will be giving it a service next weekend as it has had about 3 tanks of run time.My brother has recently purchased your geared outboard unit which I'm looking foreward to see how it goes, he also has the normal outboard which has performed quite well so far.jim
Old 07-22-2013, 08:58 AM
Body Guard

Hi jvdd, thanks for the info mate. The Arrowshark gears are pretty straight forward to disassemble and fit the new gears on as per their pics. But the MHZ gears would need a special tool to press the gears out and press the new ones in. I was thinking of heating them up some then use a self made devise to press them out. If anyone has any idea on how to go about this, it would really be appreciated. It would be a learning cure and save the hassle of sending the part bact to MHZ. Thanks a bundle.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:15 PM
F1TUNNEL

Hi Jim,
Do you plan on coming down to Melbourne in the near future? Bring it down, I reckon we could sort it out if you can get the parts. Is that a grub screw hole I can see in one of the pics?
cheers,
Dion
Old 07-23-2013, 08:43 AM
rcguy1411

The MHz gears are a press fit and the fun part about these drives is setting backlash you need to be spot on or drive will eat itself a buddy of mine just sent back a z drive for same isue was about $200.00 with all the shipping
Old 07-24-2013, 12:40 AM
jvdd

HiI have enquired as to wether they would repair the drive If I sent the broken part to them but they don't have the equipment to do so.The guy who makes the Z drive won't repair the S6 drive, so unless you have they facility to press on new gears it's a lost cause.jim
Old 07-24-2013, 03:09 AM
Arrow Shark

Hello Jim, check your shaft diameter, if you have the MC611 in hand, check if the gear in MC611 will fit into the S6, if yes, i think we still have few MC611 gear left which is holding by the 4mm hex nut, you might consider to use the MC611 gear on your S6, for easy service in the future, here is the picture link to MC611 gear: http://www.arrowshark.com/title%20image/gear-set.jpg email me at: [email protected] if you need any assistance. Johnny
Old 07-24-2013, 03:19 AM
Body Guard

Hey Johnny,
Save one set of those gear for me as I might get a shaft done 1 thou oversize. Freeze the shaft and slide in your gears might just give a very good fit to hold out during operation. Prefer the freeze rather than heat the gears. lol. email or pm price please. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:53 AM
Arrow Shark

Dont worry, i have just check the stock, we still have 5 sets of MC611 gears available left, you can order it at the link below: http://www.arrowshark.com/engine-parts.php
these gear is for 8mm shaft, i believe the shaft from S6 also 8mm, but, there is one thing very important that if you fit MC611 gears into your S6, first you will need to measure the total height from the top gear to the bottom gear from S6, (if there is slightly different, you must modify it to the same), after fit in the MC611 gear, the total height must be the same, this is very accurate fit drive, the 0.5mm different will make the complete gears unit not engage well which will result gears wearing fast. that is why when we made the M8, we destroy one unit to see how the gears engage in M8 before we assemble them. that is the only way to have gears engage properly.

Name:	Gd93645.jpg
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1903533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63141.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1903534  
Old 07-24-2013, 04:02 AM
Body Guard

Thanks for the info Johnny. Will proceed with the order and send paypal.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Arrow Shark

Hello Jim, if you don't want to keep the damage gear on the shaft, the easiest way to take the gear off is to cut it off by electric cutter, just make sure not to damage the center shaft, see the picture attached which position you should start cutting, once you cut that piece off, then, the gear will get hot, and you will be able to get the rest piece off the shaft. hope the information helps. Johnny

Name:	Zw69571.jpg
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	1903641  
Old 07-24-2013, 05:22 PM
rcguy1411

i would be verry carefull cutting the gear off as any shavings are sure to find there way into the bearing a small puller would be a better option imo also using heat may damage bearrings
Old 07-25-2013, 04:46 PM
HendricX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is NO puller that will fit .. * and as the bearings are changed too , I verticaly split the gear.

For people with decent tooling .. I can still get gears that can be made to fit.

And I can do repairs on whatever Z-drive.

* A thinner grinded spanner for under the gear , and a punch for the shaft will do fine.
(after vertical splitting the old gear)
A custom-made aluminium punching tool is needed to get the new gear on.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:55 PM
tintin57

hello JVDD I ASK SORRY BUT I DO NOT KNOW I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK ENGLISH IN YOUR ADDRESS intrude solve you TO TRY TO YOUR PROBLEM BECAUSE EVEN ABOUT THREE YEARS AGO WE HAVE MADE ME AND MY FRIEND ONE FOOT WITH A GEAR COPPIANDO MECHANICS OF MERCURY WE HAD THE SAME YOUR PROBLEM WHY THE GEAR YOU ARE MOUNTED IN TREATMENT OF STEEL C40CON (NITRO OXIDATION) AND ARE IN BLACK TRUE! YOUR PROBLEM IS NOT THE LACK OF OIL BUT THE METAL THAT THEY USED TO BUILD THE GEARS THAT ARE NOT STRAIGHT BUT NEED MORE PUSH AND TWIST ON THE WHOLE SURFACE AND WITH GREATER ATTRITO.IO I AM TRYING module1 STRAIGHT GEAR WITH EXCELLENT RESULTS MADE IN STEEL (HARDENED 38CRALMO7) BECAUSE THE METAL OF 'GEAR MUST BE SPECIAL TREATMENT OF HARDENING MAXIMUM 1-2 TENTH IN ITALY WE CALL THE CHEMICAL NITRIDING I ASK ONLY MEASURE AXIS WHERE ARE FITTED THAT HAS THE AXLE DIAMETER AND THE VERTICAL HORIZONTAL AND ALSO THE FINISHED THE MAXIMUM DIAMETER tAPER OF WHAT REMAINS OF YOUR GEAR HOPE THAT IS NOT IN INCHES METRIC AND I WILL STILL WITH A GRAIN OF AXIS WITH LOCTITE threadlocker STRONG WILL TRY to send PHOTOGRAPHY FOR UNDERSTANDING HOW ARE MADE SORRY MY ENGLISH I HAVE uSED THE TRANSLATOR (GOOGLE) I HOPE TO BE STATE AID
Old 07-30-2013, 12:19 AM
jvdd

Hi Guy'sI have just checked my Arrowshark drive (mc611) that has 3 tank of run time on it.The gears look great.jim

Name:	Yw68696.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	1904414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12337.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	1904415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43327.jpg
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	1904416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56493.jpg
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	1904417  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.