Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Curare 60 EP/GP ARF. (Not kidding)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 05:19 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Curare 60 EP/GP ARF. (Not kidding)

Hey Larry.
I'll be making a run out to the event in St Charles. Not flying unless a plane lands in my lap somehow hint hint!!!!I was there for a bit last year.
I'll check in with Mark and see what he's got going on.
We have aregular pattern contest at Fox Valley the following weekend.Good to hear from you. Mike
Old 04-28-2011, 04:22 PM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

A Mach 1 looks soooooooo much better then a curare!!

wish we still had this one!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91002.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1600582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50335.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1600583  
Old 05-07-2011, 05:46 AM
RacerPaul15
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: crankpin

Brought new Curare home today, had to travel for it. New to me. Wood fuselage, very light, I will weigh it. It has some light repair, nothing major, I am going to clean it up, re-paint, new OS 61SF, new Rom-Air's, Kraft wheel's, modern radio, of course. Is this fuselage familiar to anyone here. It is painted with Pettit HobbyPoxy. Possible paint it like the one included here.

Crank
Is this one of these ARF's> http://www.der-schweighofer.at/artik...t?query=Curare
Old 05-07-2011, 07:36 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's right Paul. That's the new Curare ARF. It will have a dealership in the US - see earlier in this post and/or other related threads.

Of course, there is also the H9 Phoenix 7 available as well as the World Models Intruder. But... a classic really ought to be built to fully enjoy.

David.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:10 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

The World Intruder is a far cry from the original Kirkland Intruder. It's been changed way too much for SPA. At least the P-7 and this new Curare are very faithful reproductions.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:09 AM
Timthetoolman1
My Feedback: (6)

Does anyone have one of Vogelsang's Curare? http://vogelsangaeroscale.com/sunshinecurare.html Full composite including wings and stab, that's pretty cool. Looks like it's a bit cheaper too. I've heard of some guys spending $600 after shipping for the Schweighofer.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52093.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	869.4 KB
ID:	1898064  
Old 07-06-2013, 02:00 PM
daggets

i had never understanded why some people makes tiporare, when they can built the real thing, the curare... sounds to me like buying a cd record made by an elvis presley japanese clone...
something god would disagree...
and, now, the sweinghofer curare is available, and for the price they sell it, i would be able to only buy the covering and paint...
on my opinion, there is no better deal on the market, the advices hanno gives with the building notice worth the entire price by themselves.. very very good plane, in all aspect..
it is not the sunshine curare case..
the fuselage is light and average, but the wings not at all...
The flight performance is completely denatured...
So i did rebuild a foam wing to have an acceptable airplane...
did not save money on this one...
Old 07-19-2013, 10:54 AM
MattyMatt
My Feedback: (2)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Timthetoolman1

Does anyone have one of Vogelsang's Curare? http://vogelsangaeroscale.com/sunshinecurare.html Full composite including wings and stab, that's pretty cool. Looks like it's a bit cheaper too. I've heard of some guys spending $600 after shipping for the Schweighofer.

Tim

That's the one I'm going after.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:54 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: mithrandir

A Mach 1 looks soooooooo much better then a curare!!

wish we still had this one!
Hi,
I agree, I had both back in the pattern hay days.
But You can at least now buy a glass fuselage and foam wing+stab from RcAiir.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...322972&page=35
So it is rather easy to get one up in the air now if one want to.

/Bo
Old 07-23-2013, 09:59 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: doxilia

That's right Paul. That's the new Curare ARF. It will have a dealership in the US - see earlier in this post and/or other related threads.

Of course, there is also the H9 Phoenix 7 available as well as the World Models Intruder. But... a classic really ought to be built to fully enjoy.

David.
Couldn't agree more....It occurs to me that with building technique we've learned over the last 30 years, we should be able to reduce weight of a classic by a pound give or take. A 6 1/2 pound classic flying a 700 square inch wing would put it pretty darned close to today's 2 meter planes as far as feel is concerned
Old 07-23-2013, 10:23 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Matt,

I believe that is possible but it might require the use of expensive composite materials (formers, CF re-enforced thin fuse sides). The nature of the classic thick airfoils and typical call for retracts is something that 2m ships don't have to contend with so they typically have very light wings/stabs and LG as well. That said, I think it is not difficult to build 7.5 lb Kaos', DB's and Deceptions with "smart" (but not too expensive) construction techniques and still use retracts and pipes. Many classics have wings in the 750-850 square area with only the rather early mid 70's and earlier designs with wings with less area than that. The DB for example has a wing of 690 squares if memory serves. The Deception is at 750 squares but most of the 1980's designs are at 750 or more.

A 6-1/2 lb model can be build without too much difficulty if one chooses late 60's and early 70's designs such as the Cutlass. To my mind that design is more of a 50 size class model than a 60 size given the power available from 1980's engines forward. A Webra Speed 50 ought to fly a 6-1/2 Cutlass rather well. Mind you,... fixed gear.

David
Old 07-23-2013, 01:04 PM
MTK

Dave,

I wouldn't use exotic composites at all. Thinner balsa and ply are musts of course, just about everywhere.

The very best Arrow weightwiseI built came from an MK kit. I took the requisite time to hand plane and hollow just about all the parts to around 1/3-2/3rds their original thickness. The wing/stab skins were shaved/sandedto a taper, root to tip. Rib weight was reduced to half the original. Fusesides were alsoshaved and tapered to the tail. Even engine bearers and retract mounts were hollowed out. Yeah, I know, big time anal but this was back in the day when I was very competitive and I simply wanted the bestI could build

Finish was the typical glass/paint for the day which added more unecessary weight. If I were to do it today, I'd use silkspan or Jap tissue and dope. Weight with retracts (including fully functional doors) was a hair over 7 lbs. An absolute great flier. Destroyed by the old Futaba J, the crappiest radio Futaba evermade

When I start construction on the big Kaos (BlueJay kit) I will post here in the classic pages. It will be a custom job of course, for the 55cc engine up front. All jap tissue and paint as I usually do. Not exactly classic but not regular pattern either......And it's just for funsies.Two departures, the engine will be soft mounted on one of my soft mountsand the wing will be balsa sheeted foam.