Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How low should I get my idle speed?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How low should I get my idle speed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 01:11 PM
carl24bpool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How low should I get my idle speed?

Hi guys,

On the back of my other thread regarding my self teaching I have encountered a problem where even at idle the plane still seems to have too much thrust to make a nice landing.

I don't have any way of measuring rpm so can anyone offer tips on how to know what's the lowest setting and how to get to it. I don't want to go too low and risk it cutting out if I'm going to need to abort a landing.

My engine is a magnum gp 40.

Thanks guys
Old 07-23-2013, 01:30 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: How low should I get my idle speed?

ORIGINAL: carl24bpool

Hi guys,

I have encountered a problem where even at idle the plane still seems to have too much thrust to make a nice landing.

Thanks guys
But what is the prop? A longer lower pitched prop will enable slower more controlled approachs.

Another old timers trick for slower more controlled approachs is to reflex both ailerons up (not down) slightly when in neutral. This is done simply by extending (unscrewing clevis) on both ailerons an equal amount.

You have and will continue to miss a great deal by insisting on the hardcore loner gig.

John
Old 07-23-2013, 01:54 PM
carl24bpool

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: carl24bpool

Hi guys,

I have encountered a problem where even at idle the plane still seems to have too much thrust to make a nice landing.

Thanks guys
But what is the prop? A longer lower pitched prop will enable slower more controlled approachs.

Another old timers trick for slower more controlled approachs is to reflex both ailerons up (not down) slightly when in neutral. This is done simply by extending (unscrewing clevis) on both ailerons an equal amount.

You have and will continue to miss a great deal by insisting on the hardcore loner gig.

John
Thanks. My prop is a 10 x 6

If you check my other thread I have mentioned I'm going to a club to have a chat. It's not that I'm hardcore loner and don't like people. It's time constraints and all the club procedures that put me off. But following all the recommendations on here I've taken it on board and will go put my issues to them to see if I'm wrong about time constraints.

What I need to be able to do is pull up at a field, get my plane out, fly it, have a quick chat and go home. If I can do this then great. If I have to join a queue to fly every time I turn up then its not for me as I just don't have that sort of time free in my current position.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:01 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

An 11x4 will help slow the airplane down a little during approach, the aileron trick I described in my previous post will also.

You have completely misconstrued what the club experience can be like and read into it many fantasys probably from the internet. It often can and does become a viable part of the whole experience. Many who are the loners will fly and do whatever for a while and then drift on to something else but that is not as prevalent in the club experience.

A club is nothing more or nothing less than what you put into it and if you approach the experience with an attitude about clubs then that is what you get back, nothing.

If you can make time to build and fly by yourself then then its BS that can,t find time to do it with the advantages of the typical club.

You are the one who will miss out by 'Not Finding Time'.

John

Old 07-23-2013, 04:16 PM
carl24bpool

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

An 11x4 will help slow the airplane down a little during approach, the aileron trick I described in my previous post will also.

You have completely misconstrued what the club experience can be like and read into it many fantasys probably from the internet. It often can and does become a viable part of the whole experience. Many who are the loners will fly and do whatever for a while and then drift on to something else but that is not as prevalent in the club experience.

A club is nothing more or nothing less than what you put into it and if you approach the experience with an attitude about clubs then that is what you get back, nothing.

If you can make time to build and fly by yourself then then its BS that can,t find time to do it with the advantages of the typical club.

You are the one who will miss out by 'Not Finding Time'.

John

Whether I drift onto something else or not is irrelevant. At present I just want to fly a plane. I don't have time for another commitment in my life. I'm not missing out as I spend that time with my children.mid be missing out if I was at a club in my eyes. I would be joining a club purely to use the space, nothing else. Any knowledge I need I can gain from this very helpful forum.

Also I have not built a plane in 15 years as I certainly don't have time for that. I buy second hand planes that are ready to fly. Easier that way.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:17 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As John said above about getting your speed down. I like to set my " Idle " speed up depending on my flying surface . Set the model on the ground and adjust the idle setting so the plane " Doesn't " roll . That usually works ok on grass and most dirt but not very good on hard surfaces .
Another prop you might try is a 10X 5 if you can find one .

Again as John says, going to a club is what you want to make it. I go out sometimes and spend 2 - 4 hours teaching and never say hardly anything to the rest of the group other then Good Day. Other times I go out and just sit and talk ( listen ). Then sometimes I go out for one flight and go home , it's all in what you make it. Sometimes I don't want to listen to whom ever is there . ENJOY !!! RED
Old 07-23-2013, 06:24 PM
Ken Erickson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carl,

Listening to John Buckner is a good idea.

With that engine, I mostly use an 11 X 4 APC prop. That is true if the plane is one of the so-called "Trainers" or the World Models Sky Raider, which we use for RCPRO Club 40 Sport Racing.

If I want to do better aerobatics with the Sky Raider I use an 11.5 X 4 APC prop.

These props give lots of thrust for getting off the ground or out of trouble, but also help slow the plane for landing.

But, back to your original question. The idle should be low enough so the plane will descend and land. Try the 11 X 4 APC.

Ken Erickson

Old 07-23-2013, 08:39 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Your plane should be able to sit and idle on a flat concrete surface and not move. If you can't turn it that low and still have a reliable engine, then you have a turning problem. My Kaos, Stick, and Cub will all do that around 2700-2800 rpm. I can go lower and do just to get a little more braking when I want it, but that's the max idle speed you can have and not have a problem. As far as how to know that without buying a tach (a great investment BTW for when you get tired of trying to guesstimate everything) 2800 has a very low exhaust note but stays steady if you're tuned right. 2400 will start missing sometimes and sound like it's about to die at any moment.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:53 AM
carl24bpool

Thanks guys. I'll take this and try to get a better setting later before flying again.

I'm hoping to get out this afternoon for some landing practice.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:30 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I run a longer prop with less pitch on all my glow engines. Through trial and error I set the idle as low as I can, that point where it doesn't go dead stick when I'm landing or stall on the runway. Once I get things set the way I like them I don't fool with the needles again until the weather changes a lot. My engines are tuned for 100+ degrees and nothing changes until it gets into the 50s or 40s and then slowly. By the time it gets into the 20s I will be about 4 clicks fat on the high end. The low end doesn't change a lot but it will change a little.