Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

carf eurosport

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

carf eurosport

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:16 PM
Ragz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default carf eurosport

Hello,

Early this morning I saw a 9 year old video of Todd Witkoff flying this eurosport with a 160. At that time I ended up getting the same plane with a rhino.....Now I want this plane once again. I had a eurosport 6 years ago which was lost due to radio lockout. Now after watching that old video I really want one again. The carf website has two versions. The ES and the 3D. I am not into hovering jets, so I assume 3D version should be avoided. My earlier eurosport was the first generation version, I wonder if this kit is still very popular and if carf has made improvements to it? The first version was kind of heavy but flew really well. Any advice regarding which gear to use etc would help me decide and configure this plane. I intend to get the gray version and get tailormadedecals to get it to look scalish.

thank you.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:26 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts
Default RE: carf eurosport

A

There have been 3 versions! The latest has a different wing profile, much stronger gear mounts, removable fin.
The 3-D Universe flys great, but is not a blast about model and gear mounts are not as strong.

CARF's gear made by Intairco works well. But C40 Behotec are a good choice too.

I'm the same, I've had all of them, but with an iGyro and a 180 it would rock! (actually not hence the gyro )

D

Old 07-23-2013, 10:30 PM
Ragz

Ok Dave... so the latest ES third gen kit it is....  i will strap a 180rx in it and an igyro.  I really did enjoy this plane when I had it the first time and i flew it with a 120 as well... was great.. but the rhino really bought life to it.  

I am planning to get the aviation design 1/5 rafale soon and this can be a great practice plane for the giant rafale.  
Old 07-23-2013, 10:58 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

The EuroSport Evolution (3rd gen) kits the newest and very nice. They no longer have the "wrap around" engine hatch on the bottom aft of the fuselage. Now its just a small (smaller than the original, but still large) hatch that is on the bottom surface of the fuse, so you don't have to worry about the "wrap around" hatch failing and wings coming apart.

The removable vertical stab is ok, but the spar for it is glued into the fuse, which makes it cumbersome (the only time i ever remove mine is for yearly maintenance). I never remove the Vert. stab in fear of snapping off that spar. The spar mounting structure is pre-installed in the fuse as well.

Gear cutous are all made, the canard structure is installed as well as the pivot rods.

Over-all it is nicer and more of an ARF than the first and 2nd gen's.

For Gear, i'd get the Pro-link gear from Dreamworks. i've got that on my main gear (and the trailing link struts ) and they are fantastic bits.

I recommend getting the machined canard arms as well from dreamworks. The fiber reinforced resin pieces included in the kit only lasted a year on mine before they started slipping on the canard shafts.

the CARF conformal tanks are also nice, but may be a bit small for a rhino as they are only about 120oz of fuel
Old 07-23-2013, 11:04 PM
Ragz

Thank you for this update Thomas.  In my first version, I had used all the updates from Todd like the canard arms and struts. I think dreamworks used to sell a large thrust tube as well.. dont remember at the moment.  Is the stock thrust tube good for a 160-180 class engine?  Regarding the engine install, are you saying the engine is not fully bypassed?  That would be bad if it is semi closed.  The first one i built was completely bypassed with full inlet ducts running all the way to the engine.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:14 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm not sure on the pipe, but it is pretty beefy so I don't see why it wouldn't hold a Rhino. Again, i'd ask CARF

the engine setup isn't full enclosed. Its completely open to the inside of the fuse. Carf does sell a inlet and bypass system separately.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:21 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

A

CARF pipe copes with the 180 no problem. I'd forgotten the inset hatch rather than the "pop" out wrap around style.
Full ducting is available, its a mare to fit and makes access harder.

I fitted a 3rd 750cc tank above the two conformal tanks (behind the cockpit) to increase duration on the big block motors.

D
Old 07-24-2013, 02:48 AM
number27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Kingtech 170g fitted no bypass. ER50 Electron retracts and brakes (fantastic) (ER40's a bit small), Prolink Oleo's (not liked, not much else to choose from however), Intairco Wheels. Intairco full ducts and Tanks. Need more than 4 litres however putting another 1.5 above ducts. Upgraded pipe from Jet Products instead of standard pipe. No gyro, Hitec 7955TG's all round.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:03 AM
DominicM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: number27
Need more than 4 litres however putting another 1.5 above ducts.
Original owner of mine said time for 6 minutes with the standard tanks on a 160. You'd think it was EDF with that flight time. Good to hear others are putting in another tank with no problem. Will do same.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:08 AM
passagealanglaise

My fisrt Eurosport with a K170F fly very nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpXoNkp47Uc

My new, with K180G ave ER40-50.... ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DinGorWD644
Old 07-24-2013, 08:50 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I am still flying my second ES. I had one of the originals for almost 7 years and flew it until it started to fall apart, so I retired that one and bought the newer version.
Witha Merlin 160 it will take off with 4 litres on board and accelerate strght upwards. Doesn@t really need a 180 IMO. Still if you own one, why not.
For me it's a model I just have to have in my fleet.
John
Old 07-24-2013, 09:30 AM
stevekott

I've got two of the 'old school' Eurosports. Robart 635 Retracts and the struts are so old I don't even know who made them.

Recently I added Vectored Thrust using the Tam pipe. It makes a very maneverable plane even more so. They are lot heavier than the 3D Universe but very capable of flat spins and tumbles. My hovering has been done at high altitude and they do just fine.

On one I have been flying with a Merlin 160, a very good combination. On a recent go-around I had some big nasty yellow flames come out the back. That motor is in the shop getting a new combustion chamber. In the meantime I put a Jetcat P-140RX in it. It pushes it along just fine and when the fuel is getting really light I can barely hover. I miss the power of the 160 and will be putting that back in when it comes back.

On Eurosport Number 2 I have a Kingtech K-180G. Awesome crazy power. Easy to make a slow, level pass, go into a hover and accelerate going straight up.

I really enjoy flying these, once you get the right pitch and power on approach they are easy to land in a short distance. Just a fun airplane.

Happy Flying!

Steve
Old 07-25-2013, 03:48 AM
Silent Lamb

Here is my re-incarnated version1 Eurosport. I still enjoy every moment. New wings about 3 years ago and it is still going strong!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44967.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1903737  
Old 07-25-2013, 04:17 PM
stevekott

Wow, love the custom T-45 paint scheme. Thats got to make it easy to see in a hazy sky!