Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)

Old 07-12-2013, 05:02 AM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)

ORIGINAL: Pitts532M

KAP2011Don't know about Pica and Platt being the same, take Tom's word for it. Measured my Spitfire, same measurements as yours. Mine is a Pica kit, (kit RC-1, plans and design by Jon Tanger) Unfortunately no plans to send you, just torn pieces with the Pica logo and dimensions. Here are some pictures, I'd take the chin cowl off but that is really a pain, looks just like yours though.Just had mine to the field today flying. I got it at a swap meet nearly built. Had an epoxy glass covering of some sort on it. Painted it with Warbird colors. OS 91 4 stroke turning a 13" two bladed prop, retracts Rom Air (they're over 40 years old). Heavy (glass and paint), and she flies great, realistic maneuvers. Need to paint the spinner sea foam and try a three bladed prop.Good luck, will be looking for your success. #37
Thanks for the info. I still havn't found a set of wing plans, Me410 may have a set, he's going to look for them when he gets a chance. I would really like to find an un-built kit that I could afford. My Spit looks like it's been through a number of changes at the hands of the previous owner. A friend that I fly with has one that bought at a swap meet. I've flown it once or twice and you're right, it flies great. His also has an OS 91FS. Mine also has a painted/glass covering but it feels very light, maybe 3 - 4 pounds with no gear in it.
Your Spit looks great.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:24 AM
Me410

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kap2011I looked through my drawer of old plans and the Pica Spit plans are gone. I did a big clean out a few years back and threw out a lot of old plans, just no place to store them. I must have thrown them out. Sorry for getting your hopes up.Tom
Old 07-13-2013, 09:33 AM
Pitts532M
My Feedback: (1)

Thank-you, I enjoy the plane.

If you find a set of plans let me know, I would maybe like to rebuild this myself, think I would add flaps.

ORIGINAL: KaP2011

KAP2011Don't know about Pica and Platt being the same, take Tom's word for it. Measured my Spitfire, same measurements as yours. Mine is a Pica kit, (kit RC-1, plans and design by Jon Tanger) Unfortunately no plans to send you, just torn pieces with the Pica logo and dimensions. Here are some pictures, I'd take the chin cowl off but that is really a pain, looks just like yours though.Just had mine to the field today flying. I got it at a swap meet nearly built. Had an epoxy glass covering of some sort on it. Painted it with Warbird colors. OS 91 4 stroke turning a 13" two bladed prop, retracts Rom Air (they're over 40 years old). Heavy (glass and paint), and she flies great, realistic maneuvers. Need to paint the spinner sea foam and try a three bladed prop.Good luck, will be looking for your success. #37
Thanks for the info. I still havn't found a set of wing plans, Me410 may have a set, he's going to look for them when he gets a chance. I would really like to find an un-built kit that I could afford. My Spit looks like it's been through a number of changes at the hands of the previous owner. A friend that I fly with has one that bought at a swap meet. I've flown it once or twice and you're right, it flies great. His also has an OS 91FS. Mine also has a painted/glass covering but it feels very light, maybe 3 - 4 pounds with no gear in it.
Your Spit looks great.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:21 AM
KaP2011

ORIGINAL: Me410

Kap2011I looked through my drawer of old plans and the Pica Spit plans are gone. I did a big clean out a few years back and threw out a lot of old plans, just no place to store them. I must have thrown them out. Sorry for getting your hopes up.Tom
No problem Tom, thanks for looking for them. I'm sure I'll run across a set sooner or later, maybe even a kit I can afford. I would really like to build a new one. I've been told that I nit-pick on planes I didn't build myself.

Pitts532M - When I find a set or get a kit, well share the plans, there's a print shop in town where I can get a copy made.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:04 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What Pica plans are you looking for?? Thanks Dave
Old 07-14-2013, 05:27 AM
KaP2011

Dave it's the smaller 60 sizeSpit., 1/5th scale I believe.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Dave it's the smaller 60 size Spit., 1/5th scale I believe.
I believe Pica labeled it as 1/6 scale but, if you do the math, it's actually much closer to 1/7. (1/6.8 based on the 65" wing span)
Old 07-14-2013, 01:02 PM
KaP2011

That sounds right, thanks for correcting me.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:26 AM
facia

Flight update.
Had another great Saturday morning with my Spitfire.
The weather finally co-operated with the winds not gusting to 15 or 20 km/hr.
I had 4 good sorties of 8 minutes each.
Take off's and landings are still a challenge for me with this plane,
but it's getting better.
The e-flite 60-120 electric landing gears are working a charm.

Here is the first sortie of the day if you are interested.

Andreas
Happy building & flying.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:40 AM
Pitts532M
My Feedback: (1)

Let me know I'l pay for copying and shipping.

Thanks,
Mike #37

No problem Tom, thanks for looking for them. I'm sure I'll run across a set sooner or later, maybe even a kit I can afford. I would really like to build a new one. I've been told that I nit-pick on planes I didn't build myself.

Pitts532M - When I find a set or get a kit, well share the plans, there's a print shop in town where I can get a copy made.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:06 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: facia

Flight update.
Had another great Saturday morning with my Spitfire.
The weather finally co-operated with the winds not gusting to 15 or 20 km/hr.
I had 4 good sorties of 8 minutes each.
Take off's and landings are still a challenge for me with this plane,
but it's getting better.
The e-flite 60-120 electric landing gears are working a charm.

Here is the first sortie of the day if you are interested.

Andreas
Happy building & flying.

Very nice. Thank you. The challenges give us something to work on and trying to improve our skills, it is part of the fun of our hobby.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:16 AM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andreas;
Great bit of flying and you are right the sound is sweet.
Thanks for sharing that great video. I will have to pick up another H9 Spit ARF. I lost mines about 5 months back from radio lock out on the DX7. She went nose first into a pile of rocks. Major damages to the engine and muffler system!![&o]
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 07-15-2013, 02:47 PM
WARBIRDRCER
My Feedback: (22)

Facia,

Great video and flight, Thanks for sharing this with us. I like the low pass with the victory rolls
Old 07-21-2013, 10:21 AM
OldScaleGuy

As of today the last Spitfire cap has been spoken for. It is up to the Brotherhood as to if and when more should be ordered. Please let me know if you are interested, we will order accordingly. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29862.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	1902660   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21002.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	430.7 KB
ID:	1902661  
Old 07-21-2013, 02:57 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Let me know I'l pay for copying and shipping.

Thanks,
Mike #37

No problem Tom, thanks for looking for them. I'm sure I'll run across a set sooner or later, maybe even a kit I can afford. I would really like to build a new one. I've been told that I nit-pick on planes I didn't build myself.[img][/img]

I looked while I was at the hanger today and found my PICA Spitfire plans that were in my kit. I will inspect them, but all seems there including the instruction book.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:50 PM
KaP2011

That's awsome! Wanna sell them?
Old 07-23-2013, 06:32 PM
H.Dale
My Feedback: (3)

Sonny have you finished your 72.5" ESM Spitfire? I was wondering how you attached the wheel covers? Mine will not close flush with the wings.

Hal - Spitfire Brotherhood #45.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:29 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hal-
Century Jet has some nylon clips that can be attached to the doors and clipped to the strut. The clips can be sanded to adjust the proper distance between the wing and the door. You can also make these out of hardwood depending on the struts you are using. I have attached photos that I hope show the attachment. I also put a curve in the bottom of my gear doors by soaking them in water for 24 hours and bending them to shape and letting them dry. I have attached a photo of a full scale Spit gear door I took at a museum that shows the curve in the gear door.

Name:	Db86006.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	1903465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38676.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1903466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55459.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1903467  
Old 07-23-2013, 08:26 PM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: H.Dale

Sonny have you finished your 72.5'' ESM Spitfire? I was wondering how you attached the wheel covers? Mine will not close flush with the wings.

Hal - Spitfire Brotherhood #45.
Hal;
My ESM 72.5" Spitfire is still on the top shelf in the work shop waiting for winter. With all this good flying weather we are having, build time has been nil. Please post your flight report!!!

tevans55;
Thanks for the tip on the nylon clips from Century Jet!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 07-23-2013, 10:01 PM
mad web tv scientist

Looking at "WING LEADER" today while listening to a discussion on Fox News about naming the new Royal British baby, a form of the name "John" came up in a humorous way on the program. This event got me thinking how great it would be if the RAF Prince father were to honor the top-scoring Allied fighter pilot of WWII Air Vice-Marshal "Johnnie Johnson" and the heroic Few to whom so much is owed by so many by including "Johnnie" in the new Royal Brit's names. What a boost for Spitfires if such a thing were to come to pass.

Merlin65, thank you for that priceless Spitfire video history. It brought tears to my eyes.

ChronologicallyChallengedScaleGuy, I continue to enjoy my Spitfire Brotherhood cap every time I fly regardless what I fly. It just sort of seemed sad that you were down to your last cap. Hopefully, at some point in the future when the membership continues to grow there will be a market for them again. In addition to my "post signature" used on other forum threads I also faithfully advertise the Spitfire Brotherhood with my dandy T-shirts on all missions.

Breaking off the attack now.

Out.

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome) #64 - Post #407 - Battle of Britain & Winston Churchill relevancy to modeling - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11007416 PLEASE SEE POST 852 (Page # 35) on Spit thread for FANTASTIC INFO. See why we fight - www.goodfight.com
__________________________________________________ ___________________
FIGHTERS - AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY - http://community-2.webtv.net/RICHARD...4/CALLTOGLORY/ (web tv is shutting down in Sept. 2013)
__________________________________________________ ____________________
The following URL brings up the most concise, non-technical (with technical references) discussion about the revolutionary THORIUM PLASMA BATTERY technology I have found on the web. ENJOY! Oh what fun we are going to have in the future of flight!
http://www.ecocarforum.com/ev-forums...t_a_recha.html

''mad thorium batteries'' typed in Yahoo and/or Google brings up some great information about thorium plasma batteries
Old 07-24-2013, 08:02 AM
H.Dale
My Feedback: (3)

tevans55

Thanks for the photos. That really helped. I went with the same gear but electric retracts. Can you describe how you painted your exhaust stacks? I was trying to get that look but was unable to do it.

Sonny

I am close to getting it in the air. Will let you know how it went.

Hal - Spitfire Brotherhood #45
Old 07-24-2013, 08:12 AM
WARBIRDRCER

That's awsome! Wanna sell them?
Let me check how much it will cost to have copies made.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:28 AM
tevans55

Hal-
On the exhaust stacks...

The first thing I did was to photo copy the back side of the stack on a piece of paper and then cut out the paper around the stacks leaving one strip of paper with the edges of the stacks. I did this so I could trace the outline of the stacks on the fuse. Then I cut out the fuselage area where the stacks go. (Pic 1) This was done so that I could push the stacks through the fuse from the inside. I glued the stacks on the inside with silicone.

Before I glued the stacks in I airbrushed the stacks with a base of gunmetal color, followed by Model Masters exhaust (airbrush only color), and then lightly sprayed a flat german black. After that I tipped each stack with a little flat white. (Pic 2)

Hope this helps. Good luck!

PS - I had to paint a suit on the girl...my wife wouldn't let me out of the house to fly otherwise.

Name:	Lj23795.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1903574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82324.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	1903575  
Old 07-24-2013, 11:16 AM
tevans55

Hal-

I have also recently weathered this plane using brushed paint, air brush and oil based pastels. I ended up with the paint being a little over done. My last two planes I have learned to lighten up on the airbrush and use more pastels to get a more realistic weathered look. I'm still learning and enjoying the process. I am enjoying taking an arf and dressing it up (or down as the case may be), to look like it spent a little time on the battle front.

Good luck with yours Hal!

Name:	Ca80265.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	1903593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95948.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	1903594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63740.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	1903595  
Old 07-24-2013, 11:20 AM
OldScaleGuy

Tim, very nice Spitfire..... Let's go flying!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.