Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Scale Racing
Reload this Page >

SAMs 1st Annual VALLEY OF SPEED Scale Warbird Race, Aug. 4th

Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

SAMs 1st Annual VALLEY OF SPEED Scale Warbird Race, Aug. 4th

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 12:51 PM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: SAMs 1st Annual VALLEY OF SPEED Scale Warbird Race, Aug. 4th

ORIGINAL: Iron Dog

ORIGINAL: carider67

Ollie, here are some of the pics of the P-39 - it has the same "Tufflex" plastic/rubbermaid fuse as my EZ Mustang 30, and it flies great and holds up well. Before I start gluing it together with horse by-products, did you maybe want to see about pulling a mold for the fuse, cowl, and canopy? Could make some hot .40 size 2strokers......

The problem with 4 stroke (heavy) motors is they have to be mounted at 90 degrees - side mount - or strait up & down, because of the front landing gear. I was planning on going with a hot 2 stroke & pipe on mine, and e-Flite Retracts x 3. Let me know about the molds, I think everybody knows I'm on very limited time w/ the Cancer and also am fighting hard to get more visitation with the Babies....
Chris,

Thanks for the offer, but making molds would be too long-term a committment for you right now. I've sold my house, and am in contract for a new one (less than 3 miles from SAMs). Withso much going on(paperwork, inspections, packing, moving, putting VALLEY OF SPEED, etc.), it would take me too long to get to it. I wouldn't want to keep you from being able to fly yours. Especially, beings I already have molds from my own design that have flown very successfully. I still plan on making more of my P-39s, just need to get settled before I can even think about it, and finish the P-47 from my Trinity Build Thread, first.

You might also consider mounting at a 45 degree angle, leaning slightly downwards (as on my last P-39, pictured below), or slightly upwards. I don't like ALL the weight of the large YS 4-strokes hanging straight off to the side when mounted at 90 degrees; and, am tired of damaging my engines on gear-up landings, etc. when mounted inverted or at a downward 45, so am going to mount the next one on a 45 pointing slightly up towards me. My suggestion would be to consider doing the same. Especially beings this would make it ideally positioned for access while starting, too.

Chris,

The more I reflect on lessons learned from my P-39s, and trying to make sure you are successful with yours, the more I think I should share these reflections now, before you get started.

The other issue with mounting it at a 45-degree downward slope was that the oil residue from the straight exhaust was coating the gear axles on the nosegear - and a little on the port wing's main gear leg, as well. This is what I think contributed to the demise of my last P-39: When it deadsticked on its second flight and I was forced to land it with a 35 mph tailwind my touch-down speed was about 45-50 mph. The oil residue is likely what caused my wheels to immediately separate from the hubs. So, even though my landing was perfect, the moment these two tires touched the tarmac, they separated. I found myself in an immediate hard-left, high-speed, turn towards the grass . . . tail-flipping up and over as the now bare hub/axle hit the grass lining the runway . . . this morphing into a repeated cartwheel as the strong winds redirected the plane's momentum downwind, along the grass which lines the runway.

A straight upward mount would eliminate any such issue, eliminate any interference with a retractable nose-gear, and make access to the engine the easiest; but largely ruin the scale looks.

An upward-facing 45-degree mount would be a good compromise between functionality and preserving scale appearance as much as possible. And, should only affect the starboard wheel if a straight exhaust is used. If a curved exhaust is used, oil residue could be directed completely above the wing.

If you plan on using a straight exhaust pipe to maximize RPM, I suggest mounting it straight up. If not overly concerned about absolute peak RPM, employing a curved pipe, then straight up, or a 45-degree upward mount should serve you well.

If I remember correctly, Fred Burgdorf mounted his upright.

Ollie

Old 07-24-2013, 01:02 PM
Iron Dog

Wanted to include this photo to illustrate my previous post, but RCU is not functioning properly, at the moment, to have allowed me to do so. You can see the port wing's tire slipped off to the left after the nosewheel completely spun off to the left. Both are directly in the path of the exhaust when using a straight exhaust, with the engine mounted at a downward-facing 45 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89749.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1903605  
Old 07-25-2013, 02:25 AM
carider67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ollie, I'm just going to build the P39 w/ a YS .60 Rear Exhaust. Should be an easy mount, tuned pipe (or mini pipe)down the side, slightly up from a 90 degree angle, and eFlite Retractos. Should be a solid Silver Plane. To all : I have a few special planes I want to build, and I don't have much time left, so I am selling the vast majority of my stuff here, ebay, or swap meets for the big stuff. I have 40+ planes, 40+ motors..... Just keeping a few of each. I have everything from complete kits, ARFS, and built. Most engines are NIB or like new. Over 12-14 YS's alone - I lost count. Many collector OS, K&B Pylon motors. Boxes of parts & accs. I'll let everone know when I post these. If I get too sick, I have a helper(s) lined up already. Thanks, Chris

Name:	Wu59775.jpg
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1903719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic85321.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	1903720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Np20038.jpg
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1903721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nz19521.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	1903722  
Old 07-30-2013, 02:26 PM
joedonkey

Hey Racers. .. I won't be out there on Saturday,  so don't freak out! Ill see ya on Sunday morning. ...
Old 07-30-2013, 07:01 PM
Tommy_Gun

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will be missed at the pre race barbecue and party.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Iron Dog

I'm so glad we can post again!
However, it doesn't appear that complete functionality has been restored before the software upgrade. Beings RCU has apparently disabled the edit function and is not currently allowing me to edit my original event poster, I will resubmit a revised flyer/poster with the updated sponsorship. (See attachment, below.)

It's been crazy, but between all the conflicts I've had with selling my house, as well as finding and buying a new one, I've worked hard to make this a very successful event, with much better than usual prizes for the pilots AND for the workers. And, am continuing these efforts to ensure that all goes as planned. Now, you just need to get those planes repaired and back in the air after all of last race's carnage, so you can be a part of it.

Ollie

Name:	Qo41410.jpg
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	1904696  
Old 07-30-2013, 09:21 PM
Iron Dog

I went out to the field today, and the site improvements are nearly complete! The workers (there are too many for me to name without accidentally leaving someone out) have labored hard and have the extension to the pits covered; and have installed new workbenches & electrical at each station. There's even water at that end of the pits now, too. An improved safety fence is in, as well. "Thanks to everyone that has worked so selflessly and diligently on these improvements." I think theylook great.

Name:	Jh15300.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1904699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca83006.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1904700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95486.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	1904701  
Old 07-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Iron Dog

And, beings RCU has plans to take us back to a read-only format beginning Friday, you've only got a couple days to get those jabs in! . . . Nahhhhhh, we don't smack talk around here!!! . . .

So, here goes the first volley:

Casey,

You are my Co-CD and I love you like a brother, but I'm really glad you finally came to grips with the reality about how slow you are. We've all been telling you for years; but, to finally accept it and bump down a class to race back in Bronze . . . Well, you know what they say, "Admitting there's a problem is half the battle."

By the way, I really like your new race logo. It shows great honesty and sincere reflection about your current situation, too . . .

Ollie

Name:	Ig11598.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	1904702  
Old 07-31-2013, 03:14 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Well considering I am currently pointless at this stage in the season I am NOT going to participate in the trash talk. I will resume giving everyone a verbal beating once I bring home an intact airplane.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:42 PM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so does that mean you are not going to race yet again?
Old 07-31-2013, 04:57 PM
speedracerntrixie

Jimmy, I am ready to go. Just been too lazy to get some runs on the engine. Ran it once and all was well. I suppose most breaking in will happen on Sat. I do prefer to do break in while flying.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:13 AM
pjakew
My Feedback: (4)

Well, I wont be there, still working on getting a racer together for Sept. Richard V. called me and told my I better be there for the two dayer. Have fun without me, and good luck to all!
Old 08-01-2013, 06:12 PM
speedracerntrixie

That sucks Jake, just won't be the same. Maybe have to get some of that New York Salsa to hold us over LOL. Get to work my friend!
Old 08-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Jimmy Skids

3 more days.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:28 PM
joedonkey

If anyone has an easy up shade canopy can you please bring it to the race on sunday... I have a server sprain to my right foot amd am wearing a soft cast and using a cane so ill be sitting most of the day announcing .
Old 08-01-2013, 11:02 PM
Tommy_Gun

We will have you covered Joe.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:30 AM
Iron Dog

Picked up the last of the Workers Raffle prizes yesterday. Have really good sponsorship for my workers, and will be taking good care of them, as well. (Finalized race poster sponsorship below.) Hope to see you all this weekend!

Sorry you won't be theire, Jake. It won't be the same without you. (But have been too busy putting this all together to get my own plane finished up, as well. So looks like our bench is gonna be rather empty, this time.)

Ollie

Name:	Ol31525.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	1905544  
Old 08-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Jimmy Skids

Originally Posted by Iron Dog
Picked up the last of the Workers Raffle prizes yesterday. Have really good sponsorship for my workers, and will be taking good care of them, as well. (Finalized race poster sponsorship below.) Hope to see you all this weekend!

Sorry you won't be theire, Jake. It won't be the same without you. (But have been too busy putting this all together to get my own plane finished up, as well. So looks like our bench is gonna be rather empty, this time.)

Ollie
Iron Dog,
Great event (I'm not just saying that because I took first in Gold). Dave and Mick, I feel your pain. I know that if it wasn't for the mid-air in the final heat that I would of came out in 3rd.

There was some really great racing in all three classes. Can't wait for the YS Sponsored Trashman Classic. See you all in September.
Jimmy Skids

P.S. I don't know what effect Jake has on the races, but this race was pretty good. Now we just need to figure out if his being there is a good thing.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:32 PM
pjakew
My Feedback: (4)

Well I didn't lose a plane for once so that is a good thing about missing a race. Glad everyone had a good time, for the most part. Should have my planes ready for Sept, but no guarantees. Would love to see the race results.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:34 PM
Iron Dog

Originally Posted by pjakew
. . . Would love to see the race results.
Here are the results for the Top 3 in each class; enough to get you started, Jake. JR has all the "official" files on his laptop. I'm sure he'll load the results on the SAM webpage and here on this thread, as he finds the time to do so.

Ollie

Old 08-07-2013, 12:20 AM
Iron Dog

I have to give a HUGE "THANK YOU!" to all my workers. I had very talented people doing a tremendously outstanding job! You each made my job easy, and I couldn't have pulled it all off without you.

It was all over so fast that I did not get an appropriate opportunity to thank several who made a particular impact on me:

Dick Weston & Jim Sweeney . . . you are my heroes. Thanks for your tireless efforts in setting up, tearing down, and always doing so much to benefit the club.

John Reynolds . . . Thanks for going above-and-beyond the call to ensure the "Fly-Inn Cafe" was never anything I had to be at all concerned about.

Mike Smith and Jim Altmeyer . . . It is unanimous - you guys are phenomenally effective as Starter and Starter-Assistant. I, and those that I have managed to talk to thus far, since the event, are all singing your praises.

Joe Hart . . . You definitely "Rocked the mic" yet again. Many great comments from others about "the fun, charismatic, and exciting environment you not only mirror, but do much to help create."

Ali Stombaugh (Berkheimer). . . What a salesperson! You really came through for me and the winning pilots (and their cash awards) in turning a tidy profit on the raffle. Thanks for your dedicated efforts!

Peg Sweeney, Carol Merrill, and Christina Schiager . . . You ladies make an incredible team of Statisticians. Thanks for taking that burden so significantly off my shoulders.

JR Schiager and Jim Smith . . . You guys were there to help me plan, and to take care of some of those small nuisance problems that come up during the race. Thank you for always being there.

Ollie

Last edited by Iron Dog; 08-07-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Tommy_Gun

Great event Ollie, well done.

I must admit I am happy to have gotten home with my dark blue 190 intact.
The day was quite challenging what with the quality level of my competitors and my plane trying to kill itself with control system failures!
That last gold race of the 1st round was a real nail biting local boy butt kicker. And dark blue just didn't feel right from the start. Finished that round well enough but felt something was not quite right.

Inspected and prepped for the next round. Plane still felt odd on the course. One pilot cut a pylon, another broke out. I got 1st place points. Upon landing I check flight controls on the walk back to the pits. Left aileron is inop. Further inspection showed that the 2-56 threads on my left aileron linkage had stripped allowing the metal clevis to slide on the rod. Ok problems solved....right?

Wrong. Third round launch had the plane roll left slightly on lift off. Strange, never done that before. During the 45 second countdown to the race start, the elevator response seems...."strange". So I pull above the pack before the start of the race. At the zero mark I come in high and late with power reduced to see if I'm just having a case of the jitters. Pull thru the first turn and decide that things ain't right. Called a mayday to land during the race for the sake of safety. Findings, right side elevator servo failed totally! That explained a lot.

Installed a new servo. 4th round B main. Two pilots were unable to launch. That left two of us. I pulled out an honest 1st place. Even with the plane now running right, I was at this point a bit frazzled and could not fly to the best of my planes ability.

Lessons learned,
1) After initial test and setup. I will be soldering my metal threaded clevises.
2) Running dual elevator servos is a must. Had I not been doing so, I would have lost this racer and possibly hurt someone or something. Two servos, two separate pushrods on two different receiver channels. Works good last long time.

Last edited by Tommy_Gun; 08-07-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:10 PM
joedonkey

Hey peeps I've been quite for awhile... I know what a shock! But Ollies race was the best one I've worked in along long time! All the workers did a great job and you pilots put on a great show.... thanis for making it fun again!