Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First flight on my own - attempt 2 (report and videeo)

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First flight on my own - attempt 2 (report and videeo)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 11:09 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First flight on my own - attempt 2 (report and videeo)

i have been flying since 1945>> belonged to a lot of clubs you people from over seas must be hard headed good luck with your flying>> most of the questions come from people who do know how to fly and belong to clubs>>
Old 07-24-2013, 11:13 AM
a70eliminator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Correct me if I'm wrong but AMA isn't required here in the us either and if you do have memership it only covers you while flying at a ama designated flying field.
My homeowners insurance policy has the RC airplane clause written in alongside recreational boating although I am a memeber so I can fly in the club, but if I choose to fly at home AMA will not cover.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:21 AM
[email protected]

i dont know about your state but all the clubs here in california you do have to have [ama] insurance or can fly at a club that is club rules
Old 07-24-2013, 11:24 AM
AMA 74894

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

poor wording on my part... the AMA is NEVER a requirement (unless as has been noted if a particular club requires membership)
my point was that the OP is in the UK... AMA membership doesn't apply.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:25 AM
carl24bpool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BobFE

Carl, you do need to join a club, or start one of your own. You could call it the Carl24Bpool Aeronautics and Navigation Flying Club or CAN FLY for short. You only need a membership of one (you) but you can sponsor a friend or two if you want. You fly wherever you can find space, you have flying times when YOU want, and you enjoy the hobby. The only reason for forming your own (unofficial) club so when these naysayers keep harping on you about joining a club, you can now say, ''yes, I belong to a club.'' Because it is your own private club you don't need to get the AMA to sponsor the club (but I WOULD recommend getting your AMA membership, if you haven't already). Bottom line, enjoy the hobby the way YOU want to!
I'm liking this. The name is even better then the idea. lol.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:30 AM
carl24bpool

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

Well when you have to haul guys to the hospital, things change. As much of a jerk as you have treated people here, I don't want to see you get hurt. I especially don't want to see you hurt someone else. Find someone that knows what they are doing to help you. I sure hope you don't have to say that ''I wish that I had listened'' You will never be able to fly at an event until someone certifies you as safe to fly.

ORIGINAL: carl24bpool
ORIGINAL: on_your_six
I don't see why we help these guys. They want to go it alone and do it without our help at a field where it is set up for this purpose. So let them go it alone. Too much time, too much expense, but they come here asking for assistance... why?
get a grip of yourself man.

i never said i want to gain knowledge on my own. I said i don't want to join a club where i get to fly one tank every hour.

if you don't want to help like all the other great guys on here then leave my thread alone. Why come on being a moaner? I want help on here or i wouldn't ask for it silly billy.
I'd be grateful of you could let me know where I have treated people as jerks? this was never my intention at all. I wont get hurt, or hte chances are low. I'm in more danger on the local golf course. you'd know what I mean if yu saw some of them hitting. Every sport has a risk but I do what I can to minimise it and also take on board any safety advice given here. Yes I was wrong to fly so close to houses theo other night but I have changed location now and don;t go anywhere near houses or power lines or roads.

And why in gods name would I ever want to fly at an event? You've lost me oon this one. I just want to fly my trainer in the sky. Ha Events!!! you crack me up dude.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:54 AM
byrne1157

Carl, as far as I have seen your responses to the negative comments have been gracious, to say the least. 
 I belong to a "Non-Club", have been invited to join a Club only 6 miles further from my home, but have declined. I don't see a need for it, I don't want to spend airplane fuel money and flying time omn a club, when the public field gives me all I want, or need. That's all about that. 
 I learned to fly by myself, and find it quite relaxing when only a few show up and we fly together, have some flying-buddy time, and even a small bbq lunch. 
 I found that if I avoid maiden flights when a lot of others are around, I do much better. Not so nervous, no snide comments before or after the flight to take my consentration off the airplane, and after the flight, I can think more clearly about what went wrong, or right, as the case may be.
 It's only my opinion, but your audience should be notified to keep quiet while you are flying, so that you can fly the airplane, not talk to them. 
 Do what you need to do to learn to fly, maybe start earlier in the daylight, keep the airplane a bit closer to help with orientation.
 Set your throttle up so that when you have the trim all the way down, the throttle is completely closed. Then use the throttle trim to set your idle speed. But don't confuse that with idle mix setting on the carb. That should be done in conjunction with setting the high speed mix. Ideally, set your high speed mix first, then set your idle mix to get a good transition from idle to wide open throttle. Hope I've helped, Above all, Be Safe, and HAVE FUN!!!
Old 07-24-2013, 12:26 PM
BobFE

First I do want to say my comments were tongue in cheek about the club part. The point is to have fun, if a club works, great, if not, the great. Carl, glad you like the name. There is no club right now where I'm living so I'm solo as well. Second, forgot to look where you are from, sorry.

Does anyone know for sure if the AMA insurance only covers you at a club? If so, what is the reference?
Old 07-24-2013, 12:36 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: BobFE

First I do want to say my comments were tongue in cheek about the club part. The point is to have fun, if a club works, great, if not, the great. Carl, glad you like the name. There is no club right now where I'm living so I'm solo as well. Second, forgot to look where you are from, sorry.

Does anyone know for sure if the AMA insurance only covers you at a club? If so, what is the reference?
AMA insurance is not prime but secondary to your home owners policy.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:42 PM
AMA 74894

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/500-o.pdf

"Insurance Questions on
"What If"

The Academy receives
numerous requests from Chartered Clubs and
individual members seeking information regarding the insurance program.
These questions are routinely fielded by the
Programs Department"

(800) 435-9262–Membership Services

http://www.modelaircraft.org
Old 07-24-2013, 01:11 PM
DeferredDefect

Hey carl24bpool - I've enjoyed your learning adventures!  It seems you have a methodical approach to everything and have taken advice regarding safety , so that should be commended. 

Be sure to take video on your next outing as well; I find reviewing flights this way is a good method of finding faults in techniques and areas that need improvement. 

Keep at 'er!
Old 07-24-2013, 01:15 PM
thepamster

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

i dont know about your state but all the clubs here in california you do have to have [ama] insurance or can fly at a club that is club rules
Does it also say in the club rules for California that "flying rc airplanes in a club may cause cancer". Lol sorry just kidding.

Carl, try not to listen to the ones on here about insisting you join a club.Some of theguys making these inflamitory comments are always stirring up stuff on these threads. After you have been on here long enough you will know who they are.
Good luck to you Carl and keep up the good work.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:22 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Watched your video and your doing an excellent job of piloting. Your turns and throttle management are coordinated and precise. Last but not least you handled the dead stick under control and confidence.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:28 PM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

we all only came here to watch you crash but you didnt, So people are roasting you instead...oh well free entertainment i guess
Old 07-24-2013, 01:37 PM
[email protected]

in 1980 i cut my thumb off helping a guy with his coptor at his home my regular insurance paid for some repairs to my thumb and ama paid the balance no trouble from the ama total cost was 7000.00 so ill keep the ama
Old 07-24-2013, 01:42 PM
carl24bpool

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

in 1980 i cut my thumb off helping a guy with his coptor at his home my regular insurance paid for some repairs to my thumb and ama paid the balance no trouble from the ama total cost was 7000.00 so ill keep the ama

i cut the end of my finger virtually off when i was 15 so i have a fear of repeat incidents and am now very careful around props. Lol. It was a blood bath at the time. Lol. 10 min before i was due for the school bus too.

fortunately in the UK we have the National health service so we never pay for health care. Self inflicted or not.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:42 PM
BobFE

thepamster, you said, "Does it also say in the club rules for California that "flying rc airplanes in a club may cause cancer". Lol sorry just kidding."

I could have sworn there was a warning label on the side of my 4star kit box that said, "Warning, this kit contains items, found by the State of California, that can cause divorce." Because of this warning I will not fly in the State of California and I am happily married.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:44 PM
carl24bpool

ORIGINAL: blhollo2

we all only came here to watch you crash but you didnt, So people are roasting you instead...oh well free entertainment i guess
lol, ill get another vid next flight. Hope my spare props come tomorrow. I stalled in an down wind deadstick and caught the nose.

i was even doing a few rolls and loops today.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:46 PM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

'Ang on, Carl ... the NHS costs the average taxpayer £4,000 per annum.

£120 million budget and about 28 million people who pay any tax at all.

It most definitely ain't free.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:03 PM
mwunsworth
My Feedback: (13)

With 2.4Ghz you can pretty much fly anywhere but I prefer a club. I personally belong to two clubs. I pay my annual dues and fly. Although I should, I rarely attend meetings or put in work hours so the demands of a club for me are almost nothing.

One is a very small club of about 60 members which is close to home. Maybe one or two guys are there flying a trainer or sport plane on any given day. The other club is about 30 mins from home but it's a big club of about 220 members with a new paved runway. Many fly giant scale, jets and warbirds which I personally love. I really enjoy flying at this field and checking out the new projects and planes at the field that day. I used to try and fly alone when I first got into RC, but I quickly got bored flying by myself. I really enjoy flying when there is a lot of so called "action" at the field. Maybe it's kind of like riding a motorcycle. It's much more fun to ride with someone else.

My 2 cents......
Old 07-24-2013, 02:16 PM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seeing you are doing pretty good i think you have too much throw on your controls and not enough expotential , and please dont fly around buildings schools shopping centers , you dont have to commit a lot of time for your club your dues take care of the mowing and other items to run and maintain a club , get a instructor to help you with your setups and how to align for landings ,, good luck welcome to the greatest hobby in the world enjoy and dont forget AMA insurance
Old 07-24-2013, 02:36 PM
carl24bpool

I totally agree with you mwunsworth. That's what the club scene is all about but is also what i don't have time for.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:37 PM
carl24bpool

ORIGINAL: bogbeagle

'Ang on, Carl ... the NHS costs the average taxpayer £4,000 per annum.

£120 million budget and about 28 million people who pay any tax at all.

It most definitely ain't free.
lol, what can i say. I'm an idealist and you're a realist.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:30 PM
thebest_102
My Feedback: (6)

Carl, You may be interested in flying in events later. I have found that those events you dismissed have been the exact thing I need to step up my flying. I travel around and fly demos in various spaces as well participating in contests for precision aerobatics. While I am just in the beginnings of this. It has improved my flying ability tremendously. I get that at this moment you may not have the time. But please do not dismiss it so harshly as in 3 or so years when you grow tired of flying the same circles and doing the same loops. Events and others input might help you improve your flying.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:21 PM
okdreamin
My Feedback: (9)

GUTSY MOVE ON LEARNING TO FLY IN A RESIDENTIAL AREA.  I too am self taught but I would not have flown so close to someones  home. Its always nice to see someone new that gets bite by the wind therapy bug, but my gosh be careful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.