Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Herr Cloud Ranger Engine

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Herr Cloud Ranger Engine

Old 07-24-2013, 06:12 AM
dmbaerry

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Herr Cloud Ranger Engine

I currently have a new Magnum .10 GP.. Is this to big for a Herr Cloud Ranger?
Old 07-24-2013, 07:20 AM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Herr Cloud Ranger Engine

You probably would have to add a lot of weight to get it to balance. You'd be better off with a Big Mig .061 or .074. if you have them available.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:32 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: DeviousDave

..........You'd be better off with a Big Mig .061 or .074. if you have them available.

I agree. The .10 is quite a bit heavier and more engine than the Cloud Ranger really needs.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:41 AM
dmbaerry

Oh shoot... ok well I don't have anything smaller... How about the LST trainer?
Old 07-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Andrew

ORIGINAL: dmbaerry

How about the LST trainer?
The LST is actually a little smaller than the Cloud Ranger.

From SIG's specs, the Ranger may be built either as a 3ch (296 sq. in) or 4ch (324 sq. in.) plane - given the increased wing area, I'm assuming ( [X(] ) the gain is due to added full length ailerons. At the larger area, you may be able to get by with the Magnum - SIG shows a weight gain of about 6 oz. in converting from glow to electric, so the plane will carry 22 oz. AUW. If you could stay within 22 oz., the 324 sq. in. will give a little under 10oz/sq. ft. loading, which is acceptable. To maintain CG, you will likely need to re-locate your battery and RX toward the rear of the fuselage. I would do everything possible to balance by weight shift rather than adding weight.

Most of the smaller engines carry a good portion of their weight in the muffler - your field may or may not allow a .10 sized engine to run un-muffled, but you could shed a chunk of weight.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:18 PM
mtntopgeo
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watch this video; http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...r+cloud+ranger , then get your Cloud Ranger ,stick your .10 on it, & enjoy. Although the Norvel .074 has the power, the .10 size engine will do a better job where a bigger, heavier, dirtier plane demands a larger prop. ...................... George K.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:26 AM
DeviousDave

So..... are you trying to fly and airplane or an engine?

There aren't a lot of kits out there that are 'right' for a .10.... you always seem to end up with kits that are heavy 1/2A sized or an underpowered .15 sized. What you want to do for a .10 is take a typical 1/2A sport plane (like a BeeTween) and scale it up 1/8-20%.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:42 AM
mtntopgeo
My Feedback: (12)

There aren't a lot of kits out there that are 'right' for a .10.... you always seem to end up with kits that are heavy 1/2A sized or an underpowered .15 sized. .

Yep, That's why after finding out that the Mini Super Sportster went out of production, I started to buy them . Got one together, & 3 NIB. Also got 3 wing sets. ...... The perfect size, & the perfect plane for a .10 . ...........Of course, just my opinion................................ George K.

Edit; Yeah, I know, the MSS is/was an ARF, but in this game, you grab what works.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:39 AM
dmbaerry

So..... are you trying to fly and airplane or an engine?

There aren't a lot of kits out there that are 'right' for a .10.... you always seem to end up with kits that are heavy 1/2A sized or an underpowered .15 sized. What you want to do for a .10 is take a typical 1/2A sport plane (like a BeeTween) and scale it up 1/8-20%.
I happen to have the engine laying around so was just looking for something to put it on...

Old 07-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Andrew

I happen to have the engine laying around so was just looking for something to put it on...
If you're willing to build, two possible candidates would be the Pacer or the Mach None. Plans are available here: http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/

While both were billed as 1/2A sized, I think that each would be a much better performer with a larger engine.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:04 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

I put a norvel .061 on mine it cruised around fine but I was gonna make it a float plane to fly from a friends pond so I put my .10 on it..it flew fine..but upon deadsticking it came in really fast and I didnt have room to land..mine was the 3 channel arf..Rog
Old 07-25-2013, 03:43 PM
SBS_Pilot

Just to add some spice to the discussion, here are a few items on my want-to-build-list:

[link=http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4416]Sharkface[/link] is designed for "up to 1.5 cc" but I guess that 1.76cc won't be a problem with modern light rc-gear(?)

[link=http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2909]Elias Aircoupe[/link] is designed for .15 - .19 but the design is from mid '80 so I hope others will chime in and say if a .10 will be enough with modern gear

The [link=https://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=1351&zenid=3d09243d31e1ce1e62bbcfd2b9b0ecd1]Honker[/link] will accept a .09 with throttle "for hot performance" according to the plan. But don't order from RCMplans.com, they seems to have gone out-of-business. Search this forum (or send me a PM) for the plans.

In the british magazine Radio Modeller aug-87 issue there is plans for Quickfire and Blitzjäger, two WW2-fighters wannabee, vaguely looking like a Bf109 and a P51. They are designed for a .10-.15 and share the same plan with rather small differences to look like an Axis or Allied plane (or japanese or russian or ....). I think [link=http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/sector/3/model-aircraft]My Hobbystore[/link] own the copyright for the plans, but I can't find them in their store, so PM me if you want me to scan them for you (but it won't happen until mid August because I'm on summer vacation now and my home scanner just s***s when scanning plans).

Mitja Seršen (Ultralajt on RcGroups), the designer of the famous [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846438]Guppy[/link] glider also designed a .049 - .10-sized sport plane called Little Sport Model (allthough I read somewhere that it was rather weak with a .049 but quite 'sporty' with a .10). At the moment it seems that his [link=http://ultralajt.webs.com/]site[/link] is down, but he published the plans for free so I don't think he'll mind if I send them to anyone who PM:s me.

That's a few of the planes I want to build. Hope fully it's been some inspiration for you (or someone else). In addition to those above I also have a magazine scan for a WW1:ish bipe for a 1.5 - 4cc two-stroke or a 3.5cc four-stroke with a wingspan of 80cm, but I'm too unsure of copyright to even mention it's name here (but my conscience is flexible enough to send a copy to (almost) anyone who PM:s me )

But whichever plane you choose to build: please report here because I have a OS Max 10 FP that just waits for a plane to power and I need help to decide which one to build....

/Stefan
Old 07-30-2013, 01:42 PM
skyraider71

Chea-Pass stick, or maybe the Decathelon (put it on a diet).
Old 07-31-2013, 01:51 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

opps I was thinking about the sig Rascal..not the cloud ranger...The chea-pass would be good or the knock off of the extra if its still on ebay...Rog
Old 11-08-2013, 01:29 PM
xanaphyst
My Feedback: (17)

fp 10 all day long.........24 min on 4 oz tank, flys perfect
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1979[1].JPG
Views:	570
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	1937795  
Old 12-06-2013, 07:24 AM
dmbaerry

thanks
xanaphyst. I still like the cloud ranger and will now consider putting my >.10 on it. thanks again.