Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Is there any small fun flyer that will take all my large servos?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Is there any small fun flyer that will take all my large servos?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 03:25 AM
carl24bpool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is there any small fun flyer that will take all my large servos?

I'm looking to buy a smaller plane for use in smaller areas. Perhaps a foam electric one or even a very small glow with a 15 - 25 engine.

Eiter way I am hoping I can use the receiver and servos from my 40 nitro trainer.

Is this possible using any plane available or not? I just want to keep costs down to a minimum.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:49 AM
mike109

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is there any small fun flyer that will take all my large servos?

G'day again

Get on to Hobbyking.com and have a look around. You will find that they have small servos for very little money. I have just bought two packs of 3 8oz servos for about $8 each pack. They even have a UK warehouse.

They also have a huge range of models many of which come with just about everything.

Cheers

Mike in Oz
Old 07-24-2013, 06:16 PM
Redback

Hi Carl

Ditto what Mike said. I bought a HobbyKing Reaktor and the price of servos was so cheap that I bought new ones even though I had a bunch of Micros. With HK stick to stuff that's in stock.

Good to read your progress reports, keep 'em coming!

Terry
(expat Pom in Oz)
Old 07-24-2013, 07:37 PM
OLDS45512

i will third the hobbyking suggestion but will warn you that as a beginner a smaller plane is harder to see and judge.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:13 PM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

I've bought a ton of stuff from HK and really like them but I've never bought a plane from them.  From everything I've read though, if I were you, I'd only purchase a plane that was available in the UK warehouse.  Both from a shipping cost stand point and a "what if I have to send it back" stand point.  I think you can get some good deals from them though.  Also, don't be afraid to build your own foamie.  You can find some *great* plans here and on RCG of easy to build planes that go together quick and are as much fun as anything you can buy.  Plus you get the great feeling of "hey, I actually built that and it flies!"
Old 07-24-2013, 08:35 PM
thebest_102
My Feedback: (6)

You would be hard pressed to find a small plane like you are talking about that uses the standard larger servos. The reason being is weight is very critical in small planes and as they do not need the larger servos to move the surfaces then they save weight by using smaller servos. That is the "why" in the advice you are getting. It would be more economical to get a 600mm PNF (plug and fly) model than to try and cobble something together.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:45 PM
carl24bpool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys.

following advice I've realised the glow 40 trainer is too big for local fields so just wanted something lighter and safer to knock about on the local field with. Size isn't too much of a problem as ill keep it close.

ill check out the hobbyking site.

i have av 30mhz (or what ever old style) transmitter. Is this compatible with any current foam flyers? Or will i need the 2.4 transmitter.

also i have a hitec transmitter. Is there not an option to swap the module in the back for 2.4 use?