Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Blade 400 Newbie can't lift off

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Blade 400 Newbie can't lift off

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 12:02 AM
andianjul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade 400 Newbie can't lift off

I've recently acquired a Blade 400 3D from a nephew who never got the thing to fly before he gave up on the idea of this hobby. I figured out which servos were faulty (gear stripped) and replaced them, following the guide to getting the swash plate level. I've replaced the rotor blades with new ones and I've set them to be firm but with some movement.

The Problem:

When I throttle up, the heli begins to tip over to the left (when viewed from the front of it). I've powered down prior to the heli actually tipping over. I fixed the heli onto a block of wood and watched the blade movement as I increased the throttle. It's obvious that the servo driving the left side of the swash plate is tilting the blades to the left as the throttle increases. I suspect I may have the servos plugged into the wrong positions on the receiver but I don't know. I'd appreciate any help.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:02 PM
Scrooem

Default RE: Blade 400 Newbie can't lift off

what remote are you using? sometimes it needs a little bit of tweaking in the micro settings i use a spektrum Dx6i for my 6 channel helis but have to admit went back to 4 ch micros, quads and planes.....
Old 07-03-2013, 05:19 PM
andianjul

Thanks for replying. I'm using a Spectrum DX6i. I followed a guide on Youtube for a basic (read: beginners) configuration by Job Smith but it didn't seem to make much difference to my flying experience. I was thinking of placing a video on Youtube so you can see my setup and/or flying technique to see what I'm doing wrong. Would this help?
Old 07-04-2013, 03:47 PM
john josey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can post a video of what is happening we can talk you through how to resolve it.

Cheers  john

Old 07-08-2013, 06:07 PM
andianjul

Here's a link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKws...ature=youtu.be

-Andrew
Old 07-09-2013, 01:54 AM
phillyD

Dear Sir
I can see you are trying to take off nose facing you(if I'm correct) that would make the controls have a reverse action. Have you practiced on a simulator? It would seem your finger is giving the imput. Disconnect the motor and do a closeup vid of the swashplate movement from the front view, so we can get a look at what the servos are doing too. Push the throttle stick up, Keep your hands off of the cyclic stick and we'll see what happens. you need a smooth surface with attachment of the training gear for you to learn. this is just a start.
Cheers
Old 07-09-2013, 12:47 PM
andianjul

Sure, I'll try these suggestions when I get the next opportunity. However, as to the comment that it is facing me, I am only actuating the throttle. The blade tilt which is noticeable right near the end is occurring as the blades speed up to (almost) lift-off speed. I had imagined that simply spooling up the throttle would, at some stage cause the bird to lift and that nil (or very little) input would be required to keep it stable. Mine is tipping as it approaches lift-off speed. - hence the camera position.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:26 PM
phillyD

The head may have a problem. on the section with lift off and little imput to keep it stable is not possible. helis are unstable machines even the full scale that people fly in. The have to be controlled. At lift off you will have the heli drifting to the left at least especially with a slow lift off. it can also go foward or back ward. Your first attempt to fly that thing without practicing on a simulator will result in a a crash. The vid you will do with the camera a little closer will help a lot. PM me if you post a response and i don't answer in 24 hours, so I'll know to check in case i get busy.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:54 PM
BubbasanJohn

To me it looks like the main blades are too lose and he does not have near the needed head speed for lift off.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:31 PM
Solman

Do you own a pitch gauge? Also put the heli in throttle hold or disconnect 2 motor wires if you feel safer. Move the throttle up and down and the swash plate should stay level and move up and down. If it is doing anything else, then you have other issues.