Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Electrics to Glow Conversions
Reload this Page >

Fuel proof paint for foam?

Community
Search
Notices
Electrics to Glow Conversions Are you converting an electric airplane to glow and need help? Have you already converted an airplane and you want to show it off and give some tips? This is your forum. Enjoy.

Fuel proof paint for foam?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 04:06 AM
kadamstex
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel proof paint for foam?

I am assembling an injection molded foam airplane. What paints are available today that will not attack the foam and are nitro-fuel proof?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:24 PM
1/2Atopgun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel proof paint for foam?

DOPE! (yep thats right) DOPE! Aero-gloss, Sig, Stuka Stunt works, what have you. Of COURSE dope melts foam, however.... just click on 'search this forum', then type "mitsu zero" and see 3 posts of mine that describe what to do. Also check out my gallery at ; http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...1&memid=317472 or just google '1/2atopgun'.

Don't turn your nose up at the idea of using (un-inked) newsprint paper in the process either. Then, low temp econocotes, etc, and other paints can be used. Depending on size of plane and your weight budget.
Good luck, but you won't need much.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:53 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have painted dope straight onto EPP foam without problems. However you can't paint dope onto traditional styrofoam. Therefore the answer to your question would depend on the type of foam you are using.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:49 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Most epoxy paints. I haven't tried Klass Kote, but it may work if no, or very little thinner is used.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:48 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

ORIGINAL: aspeed

Most epoxy paints. I haven't tried Klass Kote, but it may work if no, or very little thinner is used.
Epoxy paints will attack most foams. Before any suggestions are thrown out there we really need to know what type of foam it is. Unfortunatly all of the foam safe paints that used to be available are not any more. The first one that comes to mind is the Pactra Formula U but sadly it went away over 10 years ago.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:54 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just reading an old magazine from 1980. Sig Plastinamel looks good for uncut foam and is fuelproof. I looked on the Sig site and all they have is dope. Is it still being made? or is the government protecting us from ourselves again? They had a thinner that was sold with it too.